TKR the road is long with many a winding turns

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card you're given that says you have a joint replacement is useless. You're still going to get wanded and patted down - and the screeners would be remiss if they didn't do that.
Anyone could get a forged joint replacement card and then slip through security with dangerous things, if security didn't check.

I have two knee replacements and i expect to be delayed with screening, so I just arrive at airports earlier and allow more time fore security screening.

There's a thread on this topic in the Social Room:
Have you set off the alarms at airports?
 
@PolarBear60 .... But, if you don't fly, how can you get to Paris? That would be a real travesty for me as that is my favorite city in the world and my goal for recovery! ( Ocean cruises are OUT as I get violently seasick! ) So, I grin and BARE it! :heehee:
 
@PolarBear60
Jean, if, like me, you lived in New Zealand, you'd have to fly. Our roads are often "long and winding" and you can't get from here to any other country without flying. Kiwis are among the "flyingest" people in the world.
 
So true, @Celle - it's not worth it to carry the card to airports, etc. I've been flying since my first TKR in 2001, when this all started. Most TSA agents are super nice, doing their job, and it's what you must do in order to get where you want to go unless you want to drive. No big deal, just a few minutes out of your day. They don't look at your card, they check your body no matter what. Luckily the new machines are quick and easy, no extra screening, no extra time, usually. I just say, as heading in: "I've got metal knees" and they send me to the new machines, if they have them. Otherwise, I get "the wand". I understand not liking it.... But, I guess I like to travel enough to put up with it.
 
Thanks that thoroughly answered my question ,probably have to wait for the pat down ,I will just plan accordingly
 
I am thinking about delaying PT ,yes Celle and Josephine you were correct in my decision to return to work so early ,it is really draining ,but there is no going back for me , but I would not recomended a fast return , as I still really feel weak and sick and tired .to tired for PT besides already at 125 and 1 rom at 3 weeks I think I can get the rest ,unless you know of any other exercises PT progresses to
 
I refuse to fly. Not going to pay money to be treated like a criminal or a terrorist anymore now that I'm retired.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
Amen, Jean, Amen. And the concept of customer service has left the building. Haven't been on a plane in 6 years, and barring emergencies, don't plan to be.
 
@moretennis
I think you'll probably do fine without further PT. Many people give up PT when they start work again, because simply going to work (including getting ready and travelling to and from) is enough exercise.

In a week or three, you might want to practice balancing on one leg - just start doing it for a few seconds and make sure you have something to hold onto.
With daily use, muscle strength will return.
 
Me at work 3 weeks 4 days into recovery aughhh
[Bonesmart.org] the road is long with many a winding turns
 
I feel for you, @moretennis ! That is way too early to go back to work. I went back at 5.5 weeks, and I'm still not used to at 11 weeks, though it's not as rough. Luckily, I can sit and rest whenever I need, almost... It looks like your job might be pretty physical.
 
My job is not to bad ,I have the option. to do ,or.not to do , but I catch my self walking places.for no particular reason ,
And doing that can put A bit of miles on very quickly.
 
In a perfect world, I would walk for 15 minutes, then rest for 10, then repeat :)
 
I had RTKR minimally invasive ,October 13 2015 , I am beyond Recovered but was told to go to PT .I had called in and cancelled Pt as ROM is 135 and 0 and I have no pain ,I am walking 10 miles a day all that's all fine but my question is if I do not go to therapy until released, and something happened that required another surgery on the same knee could my choices of no therapy impact my responsibilities for insurance purposes ?Any lawyers out there ? A friend at the gym told me it could
 
I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about how US insurance works.
However, with a ROM of 135/0, I think most PTs would release you anyway.
 
@moretennis I would suggest a quick call to your insurance company. With your ROM I don't think PT is needed right now. If the measurement was done at OS office and they recorded it you could ask them also about PT. I don't think there's a medical need for PT. Just make sure you check it out to be safe.
 
Lots of people give up PT when they return to work, because getting ready, travelling to and from work, and work itself are plenty of exercise for your knee.
 
Yes, you'll get a card which the TSA will promptly ignore, pull you aside and pat you down. (They always have done that to me anyway, since I look so much like a terrorist/ security threat. )
I thought it was just me! I've flown 3 times since getting my knee and each way got wanded, patted and swiped for residue. The last time they saw an anomaly in my "groin" area. I think I should have paid for that search.

@moretennis Glad to see getting back to work was just a wearing decision for you. I did PT for a few weeks after returning to work and have to say I had zero energy for anything else (and sometimes was very low energy for PT) and went to bed pretty much as soon as getting home on those days. I also used Uber to get around on those days. Your ROM is better than mine was when I graduated but mine keeps getting better if that's any consolation.

Sorry no experience with the insurance question.
 
Thanks all ,I have a call into my OS
and will get a decision from him as to what I can or should do.
 
My OS assistant called back said the only problem with giving up PT would arise if I needed manipulation the insurance would make me pay because I did not complete my PT and have bad ROM
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom