THR The other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Jillians - I was thinking about you today, since we both had the same Op day. Way to go in being off the pain meds, that is awesome! I'm trying, but I am not there yet. I am also still trying not to get down about still having to depend on the walker. My PT said since My gait is messed up when I use a cane, he'd rather see me stick with the walker a bit longer. I agree I guess, it's just a bit frustrating. How are you doing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi--- I'm doing ok- still have walker- I'm more comfortable on it- I do sneak of on occasion- my gait is messed up as well- so long walking with everything messed up its just easy to fall into- I did find a funny exercise that worked for me- slight very slight marching up and down as I move forward and I don't limp- it's literally the only way I can not limp- this muscles just need that time to heal-

Still not sleeping through the night and staples- if I never see them again it will be to soon-

Muscles are tight and other soreness I would expect but the staples have to be one of my least favorites-

I have to just keep saying life will return to whatever normal is before we know it-

It's been along time coming---

I'm glad your doing well- the anxiety prior for me was a terrible thing- I was glad to let go of it;)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well. It sounds like you are getting around pretty good though! I may have to try the slight marching thing :). I surprised myself today when I walked to the next room before I realized I didn't have my walker with me. It is a little scary though, because my knee gives out on me without any notice. I definitely feel more comfortable with my walker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I feel more secure with my walker too lol I did grab a crutch today to see if that will hold me up ( like a person lol). This week is our week[emoji3]


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Hi there! I am glad to hear you are doing well except for the sleeping issue . Hopefully that will resolve itself soon. Is pain keeping you up at night or is it that you just don't feel tired and your sleep patterns are off ? I know exactly what you mean about the slight marching. I do that too when I notice my gait is really giving me grief. I feel bad for you dealing with staples....I was relieved when I asked my OS prior to my surgery if he used them and was told he did not. My incision was sealed with internal stitches and sterile strips. It is starting to itch some now as it continues to heal. I still have a lot of glue from the sterile strips on me even though I have taken many showers. It feels like it is part of me now and will always be there. I sure hope not lol! You do have to just keep telling yourself that all of this will pass and stay focused on the fact that the horrible bone on bone pain is gone yeah! I am constantly reminding myself to be grateful for that . Hugs to you and hope you are sleeping well soon.
 
I did grab a crutch today to see if that will hold me up
Try two crutches if you are transitioning from the walker. You will feel more secure with both sides supported. I predict you transition to one crutch fairly soon after that. Once you get your confidence you can get around pretty quickly on one crutch.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The other side
my before and after from my 2 week check up!!!


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Other than being achy I've not had to much pain but my ankle seems to be hating me right now- just throbs right above my ankle of procedure leg- it's been ongoing just seeing if anyone else has a similar


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
@Jillians, I can't even imagine the pain you must have been in from that mess of a hip joint before surgery! Sorry about your ankle. I didn't have that problem in other areas of my surgical leg, but had all kinds of trouble with my "good" leg/ankle that was doing double duty during recovery. Hope it resolves soon. I wonder if the "usual" might help -- elevate, rest, ice, etc.
 
Yes the "usual is my go to- it's an awesome go to to know that at min. That will help! And it's weird how it works- now I can't remember how the pain felt before surgery I can just tell you it was debilitating-


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
@Jillians - How's the ankle today? You asked if anyone else has had pain there and I have pain above my ankle that is like a constant burning, but not too bad. I figured it was muscle aches from the exercises I've been doing. As a matter of fact, I'm chalking most of my aches/pains up to the stretching and exercising :) Has it gotten any better? I've been wondering how you've been doing. What kind of PT are you doing?
 
Hey there- I have pt coming to my house- walking - some light exercise- that ankle!! I'm sure it's from working- as I have sever muscle atrophy in that leg so the tendons and muscle hate hate me-

Doing pretty good today - o know I worked to hard yesterday because my good leg is biting me lol so it's a good rest day- now I've got to tell pt that I'm not doing it today when they come lol

How are you and that hip


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
I'm doing alright as long as I keep reminding myself that all this junk is only temporary; when I forget that is when I let myself get a bit down, emotionally. YOu're right, it's probably a pretty good sign that you might have overdone things a tad when your good leg comes back to bit ya :) I hope that you are able to take it easy today.

As far as recovery goes, I don't know why I just naively assumed my muscles would just fall right in line after surgery - that was really silly of me. Like you, I have some severe muscle atrophy from how long it took me to figure out what was going on. My walking, and my muscles, deteriorated over the course of a few years before I finally got the diagnosis that I needed a RHTR. Now, it's a battle to get my muscles built up to where they can support my body I guess. My PT gave me a very simple exercise to put my feet shoulder width apart and rock back and forth, shifting my weight from my good leg to my operated leg while gently lifting my other leg off the floor slightly as my weight shifts. It seems so simple, yet so unobtainable for me! HA! My mind knows my affected hip can support my body weight, but I guess my muscles aren't strong enough to keep things in line? I don't know. I'm not sure if it's a mental block or if my muscles simply aren't able to do that yet. I think it's probably the latter. I am a little disappointed that I'm still on a walker, but I am just trying to be okay with it and take it one day at a time. I'm looking forward to getting out and going to church tomorrow and getting back to teaching a small homeschool class for a couple of hours on Monday. I only teach one day a week and this will be my first time back since the surgery. Wish me luck :)
 
Yeahs you!! Good luck and enjoy!


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Wondering about incision site at 3 weeks- not having pain it's just tight and still healing- it seems to be other than my limp that's the other pain- I know I'm early in the healing process and it takes a bit but I'm just wondering if it stays lumpy? Continues to feel not 100% and how long that part May last?


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering when to start thinking about the difference in my leg lengths? It looks the same as prior to surgery so I don't know if it's the lack of muscle from the atrophy? I'm 3 and a had weeks out so just checking


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Hey @Jillians I want to thank you for this thread! I know how scared you were before surgery. Reading how well you are recovering is very helpful.

No clue about the leg length, but I think I remember reading that it works itself out. Hopefully someone else will know!
 
I was wondering when to start thinking about the difference in my leg lengths?

Give it about six months. If you still think it's a problem then, it may be a good idea to discuss it with a qualified professional.
 
I did think it was to soon- I just haven't read on anything on leg length? Thanks so much


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom