THR The other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
My operated leg is significantly shorter until I adjust or tilt my hips


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
And thank you for posting - even my pt noticed it today


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Welcome to the other side! Yes my PT also noticed my leg length difference but I can tell you it did even out once the swelling went down and the muscles calmed down. Just give it time. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jillians I am at 6 weeks and I can barely feel a difference in leg length now . It is still there but, just slightly. It used to be very noticeable and distracting to me. I agree that things need to settle a bit. Take care.
 
Oh good- the pt is scaring me saying I need a lift in show but I'm refusing as my hips or pelvis tilts bad from prior but if I walk with can with that support its barely there- so I'm hoping it will level out - did you have a lot of improvement from 4-6 weeks @wrkinitout


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
@Jillians- I talked to my OS about LLD before my surgery . He explained and showed me where my pelvis is tilted as I've compensated for my bad leg for years. He feels like it will sort itself out over the next few months. I talked To PT in the hospital yesterday as she watched me walk with my new hip. She said I will need to relearn proper gait and that ultimately the apparent LLD will go away with time if I work consistently. Apparently it's very common for those of us who have been walking in pain for years.

You're not alone in this.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to know! I had a breaking moment yesterday- it's like someone is holding my prize right there I just can't get it yet- recovery is definitely baby steps- some days you don't see any improvement then one day something changes before you have time to recognize it lol


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Almost every new hippie feels LLD. Don't worry about it and do not get any lift for your shoe. As others have said, this usually balances out with time. Give it at least 4 months and work with PT on your gait. In most cases this feeling just fade away.
 
This weekend I over did it! I haven't to much before but mentally so there but just not physically ready ---

Today as I lay down my incision is pretty tight and those tissues are swollen I have a sit like bump about an inch from the incision? Has anyone else had this? It seems like I read it somewhere but wanted to see anyone else's experience- I'm at 4 weeks tomorrow I never really knew it would take so long for that incision to heal-


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Reread this article Healing: how long does it take? At only 4 weeks out there is tons of healing going on. Continue to ice that incision site to reduce the swelling.

Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again later. Yes, the brain says go for it but the body just isn't read. Wait a bit and try again another day.
 
When can you sleep on your tummy


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Ok sounds like I need to call my surgeon- he saw me at 2 weeks and said he would see me again in 6 months- didn't say how long restrictions were- thanks!


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
Started back to work 3 days a week for 4 hours at a time- glad to not be at home- I feel pretty good being 5 weeks out- driving is good- I just rest when I need to and ice when I need to- gait is slowly improving walking without came around 40% the other time it's just to force myself to walk properly as I get tired- going to start walking some blocks soon- slowly but surely and hopefully that will help with the weight I've gained since I had been immobile


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
What is the appropriate way to tie your shoes?


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
The first time I tied my shoes post LTHR I sat on the bed and then bent down to tie them. This breaks any 90 degree restriction but if you don't have restrictions give it a try. I took several tries for me as I had not been able to bend that far pre-op.
 
I have the 90 degree restriction -


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
OK - if you are still on your 90 degree restriction you will need to wait to try that method of tying shoes.
 
I am almost 8 weeks out and back to work full time this week! Feeling fantastic other than my non surgical hip down does not like my new way of walking - I'm mostly no limp unless I'm very tired but the non surgical side has been having tons of spasms and muscle seem to lock up into Charlie horse type cramping if I flex any ideas at all???


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 
@Jillians, those spasms and muscle locks do NOT sound fun at all. When my back was spasming very painfully after a vertebral fracture that I had recently, in addition to a procedure to stabilize the vertebra, I was prescribed a muscle relaxant. Taking that, combined with doing my very best not to further stress/work my back, helped a lot. I don't know if that would be recommended for your leg spasms. I did a google search, and WebMD has a list of possible causes, which include overexertion, dehydration, magnesium deficienty and poor blood circulation. https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/muscle-spasms-cramps-charley-horse They list treatments, too.

Your additional exertions of going to work may be just too much for your non-surgical leg, which had to do extra work during the initial recovery from THR, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom