Guest viewing is limited

THR The other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you on antibiotics now? Antibiotics really bother my stomach. Have to be taken with food. Try saltine crackers.
 
Okie thanks


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Does anyone have muscle atrophe from not using muscles then wham the muscles are alive and hating you merely for walking differently?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jillians - nice to meet you! I had THR on May 17th. I've since resumed regular life, including putting in a lot of time and energy at work. So I can only check in to this site from time to time to learn and share with members.

I wanted to say it does take some getting used to walking wise. It has for me. I am grateful for my progress. I am thankful not to be in arthritic pain now. But I'm still recovering (it's a long process), and for me part of that is using hip and leg muscles in a different way than I was before. It has been a re-training of the mind and body. My non-operated leg is definitely stronger still (which would make sense), but I am working with the restored leg to see how I can improve it.

I have weak hip abductor muscles which manifests itself at times in a peculiar gait, and also when my knees turn inwards and "kiss" each other. I've found some exercises on You Tube such as "the clam" which helps to strengthen the hip abductor muscles.

So all of that to answer your question, "Yes." :snork:

Hang in there!
 
Thanks!!! I'm only a week out- I did finally shower today and overall I would say I feel pretty good- but I have high anxiety on this entire hip dislocation talk lol and want to be further lol- I know I'm doing pretty good- but I cry of coarse half the day and ice and elevate I feel like the other- my husband goes back to work tomorrow so he won't be much help lol I honestly think people have a misconception of well ya had it fixed right- not realizing there's an entire healing process that goes along with this recovery


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I honestly think people have a misconception of well ya had it fixed right- not realizing there's an entire healing process that goes along with this recovery
This is a problem and a big reason why BoneSmart is here. Unless you have been through this process you just don't have a clue. Just keep reminding yourself that you were discharged from the hospital to recovery, not fully recovered. Let your body heal and you have a lifetime of pain free living.
 
Hi @Jillians , I'm over a year post-op and well recovered by now but I can comfort you: Muscle atrophy is very common when you have arthritis in the hip. Because of the pain, you don't use your muscle efficiently and it atrophies. My pre-op limp was mainly caused by the bone-on-bone pain and the muscle atrophy.
You have to change your gait so that you get that muscle back. That's why we get gait training. I went to a rehab center after the operation and we often trained in group. Than can be fun. We were also told we must use our crutches (they don't provide a walker in Germany) - both crutches not just one - until we can walk unaided without a limp. Maybe you can do gait training with a physiotherapist and also some massage later (at one week post-op it's probably to early). But you will finally get that muscle back. I hope this will answer you question - all the best -
Constanze
 
Good to know - thank you- the muscles hurting before and always needed a massage because they would not wake up to work are now awake and it's a weird pain- I'm so used to the joint pain that I don't really know what is or isn't normal-


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh yes I had a good boo now and then. It was honestly just frustration. We independent types find having to rely on help a nuisance. You're only a week out - things will improve. I encourage people to make a very brief note daily about what they can and can't do - then you can look back and see that, actually, things do change. Baby steps, but all towards a much much better life eventually. Just hope your pain is not because you're overdoing any physio? Remember Josephine's wise words - walking is the best exercise and that in moderation.
 
@Jillians I'm finding muscles that have not been used in a long time and they sure get sore. It's a slow back and forth, up and down process. My head wants to run and my body says not-yet -- just takes patience.
 
I had physio today- I told him I was not doing anything that caused lots of pain or resistance- he said I can overdo on the walking not the exercises - complete opposite of what I've learned- so I am going by my body -it really does stink having other people help and all I mean o want to do it all myself lol NOW


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jillians - Can you do us all a favor....and revise your profile so that it shows your surgery date?

Aren't you just a bit over a week post-op? In my humble opinion, you are trying to rush things far too fast! And, again, in my opinion, you are setting yourself up for a set-back.....which will make recovery that much longer. I'm of the thinking that you will learn to listen to your body, and dismiss the attitude of your PT. this is NOT a race.....and patience pays off, bug time!
 
@Nana2-8

If you think I'm trying to rush through this- than I am misrepresenting myself because this is not the fact, I feel like I'm just having general chit chat on where I am at this point. I absolutely am being very cautious as I do not want to do this ever again ever if it can be avoided.

The hospital I was at has been insisting I fonogysical therapy in fact the wheeled us down into group therapy less than 12 hours following surgery- I'm not keen on doing what others say is best for my body unless I feel like they know and that's where this website has been a blessing to me and my process.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And if you can tell me how to get in and change where I need to put my surgery date? I will get that done as well

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, believe me, we are ALL just chit-chatting. And appreciate the interaction. But, yes, I was getting the impression that you were 'champing at the bit' to get things going quickly. I was put thru the 'therapy' at the hospital too....but nothing hurt...and it was very, very basic. You do what you think is best for YOU! ~ ~ Also, if you click on your 'name' it should take you to your profile page, and there is where you can add your surgery date.
 
Oh I am chomping at the bit to move through this but- I am not pushing myself into getting any issues that will slow down my healing- so yes I am chomping at the bit- I am a social person and being stuck and not being able to get out does stink but- that doesn't mean I'm pushing harder- I'm doing great right now I'm gonna keep it that way-


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jillians hope you are still doing well. Slow and steady - you will be out there living life to the fullest very soon.
 
Thank you mam!!! Coming upon 2 weeks- I feel great- very little pain- just incision pain and some muscle spasms---doing some exercise--off all meds- feeling good- taking it slow and ivce and elevate have been my saving grace-

Thank you!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow! Two weeks already! I'm sure you don't feel that way but I'm so glad you are doing well. :)
 
I know- I can't believe it's almost 2 weeks- ready for this incisions to heal completely and me to push fast forward or should I say slow forward


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom