TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@momweb , you're doing great. I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

As for the bruising, it's a fascinating process to watch as the bruises develop then begin to fade. At almost ten weeks, mine have almost faded enough to be gone.
 
I had all that bruising with my 1st knee and was left with an ugly brown spot on the back of my calf that is still there. This time I haven't had as much bruising but I ordered some Vitamin K cream from Amazon and started using that on a bruise behind my knee and it was gone in a couple of days. The stuff is amazing and it wasn't that expensive - maybe $5.
 
You know....I've struggled with headaches too. Thought I was getting a migraine but got lucky with just a heck of a headache.

I think our surgeries were the same day....I sure hope you're doing well. I'm doing fine....it's just no cake walk!
 
Hello just reading thread. So sorry about your family member. It can make this recover harder. My thoughts and prayers are with ya.

I had lots bruising to. More with the partial. But the revision bruising was delayed.

Hope your doing well. Thinking of ya.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@momweb, congrats on the new hardware, sounds like you're doing really well. I'm scheduled for BTKR on Sep 1 at Hartford Hospital. Your posts are both informative and inspiring.
 
I love coming back each day to read comments made. It makes you feel normal. So far, the bruising has stayed put, no more. But that doesn't mean there isn't more to come as the healing process continues. I haven't put any cream on the bruises yet, just a lot of rubbing. Think I'll look into the Vitamin K.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That may mean you'll start to see them shrink and fade. I find this whole recovery process fascinating. But sometimes it's tiresome, too.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We love to see post and reply to them. We learn how different each person is with recovery. I was told don't touch the bruising. I was told no lotions till after the bruise fades. Xxxxxxx good luck.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I just wanted to avoid that ugly brown staining left over from my bruising the 1st time. The doctor said it may never go away, and it's just ugly. Not that I'm planning on modeling a bikini or anything, but I decided it was worth a try. Just be sure and keep it away from your incision.
 
@momweb I hope you are enjoying the time with your son and daughter..... Glad you are feeling more normal!! You are my inspiration girlfriend!! Tomorrow is your week!! woop woop one week down in the recovery mode is great!!
 
@Cindy knits I suffer from Migraines as well as normal headaches. Today, however is a good day. Being sure I have a couple of crackers with the pain meds and at least resting after taking them has made a world of difference. I'm doing real well. Glad to hear you are doing well, too. Ready to practice with my new fancy cane.
 
Hey, @iivesfam5 today is a good day. Feeling pretty good. A friend stopped by this morning and brought me flowers for my birthday. That was a nice surprise. I slept on and off all day yesterday and still some more last night. It was just what I needed. You can heal if you don't feel rested. PT just left and he had me walking with my fancy new cane. [Bonesmart.org] The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee I did my exercises with him and my flexion went up to 100 with my extension just short of 0. So, I'm doing really well. Still feeling stiff and sore like many others. I'll be glad when the staples come out. Today, I just plan on helping with some laundry and resting some more. Slow and steady will win this race for sure. [Bonesmart.org] The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee Enjoy your day!!
 
@TwoKneeOrNotTwoKnee I want to introduce you to another Connecticut knee lady who is having a Bilateral like you in July. @iivesfam5 I only had one knee done for now. I will most like do the other one next spring. But the two of you will really have similar stories. Her surgery will be at St. Francis. We, Connecticut folks have to stay together. My daughter lives in Bristol.:welome:
 
@momweb You sound wonderful!!! I am so happy that you are doing so good. Gives me lots of hope....... Thanks for sharing so much!!! Relaxing today - had a fun day and night with my special grandson. He did wake up for about an hour at 4 a.m. - LOL so maybe I'll take a little nap myself today!! He is so much fun - has us laughing the whole time. I am real sore right now - just came back from the dreaded grocery store!!
 
@momweb, @iivesfam5 I've been following both of your posts. So glad I found this forum, it's full of great info and lots of inspiration and motivation.

Are you allowed to post the name of your doctor? I'm going to Hartford Hospital for mine. I have a daughter who is an RN there, so I hope to be able to score some extra snacks.
 
@TwoKneeOrNotTwoKnee The extra snacks may just come in handy for you! LOL! Hartford Hospital has some great docs. Dr. Vince Williams from UCONN did my surgery. He was at Yale prior to coming to UCONN and specializes in hip and knee replacements. That was important to me, I didn't want a surgeon who was a general Orthopedic guy. You're right, this forum is what keeps you going, especially when you are unsure, need to vent or want someone to share in your success! It's all here in one place. Couldn't ask for more.:console2:
 
@TwoKneeOrNotTwoKnee My doctor is Steven Schutzer - he is part of Orthopedic Associates of Hartford and he is on Staff at Hartford, St. Francis and UConn. He does hips and knees. I was referred to him from my Ortho guy that was doing all my shots but he doesn't do replacement surgery. I am going to CT Joint Replacement Institute which is part of St. Francis. I am always a Hartford Hospital person but this time because I have two co-workers who have gone here one for BTKR and other had both of her hips replaced - 3 weeks apart. They both raved over the facility, doctors, care, etc. So I decided to do it here. I am sure no matter where you go - it is a pretty common procedure these days. tick tock tick tock tick tock - the clock is going really slowly these days.......
 
@momweb How are you doing today? You are now one week out!!! I hope that all your visits are not as overwhelming this week as they felt last week!! It sounds like you are not having any sleep issues at night? That is great!!
 
Happy Birthday to me! :happyfeet:To celebrate, I have a one week old new knee that offers surprises daily. Just when I think I have it under control and I know how to progress, the knee says, hold on, girl, not so fast. I moved to a cane yesterday and it felt great. But I should only have used it for a short period of time. I did all my exercises 3x when 2 was sufficient because I also did them with PT. So, at 2AM my knee yelled out loudly not to do so much! :yikes:The pain was excruciating! I took 4mg of dilaudid, and iced which helped tremendously. It finally quieted the noisy knee and back to sleep I went. Today's a day of easy stretching and crutches with a short time on the cane. Fortunately, I did not lose any of the work I've done. Flexion is at 102, but real sore. So, until the ice cream sundaes arrive tonight, it's nothing but rest for these knees.:sleep:
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I have to confess, yesterday when your progress was sounding so perfect, I was thinking....shoot, I'm not coming along nearly as well!

Well, now you've had a bit of pain and I feel bad about being jealous! I guess it really is a roller coaster! Today is my first PT and I'm at the I wish I'd never done this stage.

We have to hang in there together!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom