TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

I'm taking 100mg of stool softeners twice a day plus Benefiber 3x a day in my drinks. If that doesn't work I'll add more. For breakfast, I'm drinking a shake that has 9 grams of fiber. Time for pain meds.
 
How was your first night at home? I am sure it was quieter and your roommate wasn't crying there!! How is your pain?
 
I am sleeping downstairs on a comfortable futon. I went to bed around 9 hoping I could sleep. Set my pill alarm on my phone for every 4 hours. Found out that I didn't really need it, because I was up every 2 hours anyway. I can take 2-5 mg of dilaudid for pain. Starting at 10pm I took 4mg knowing how much pain I was in. I was really throbbing. Same thing at 2 AM. I got up and walked to the bathroom every 2 hours even if I didn't really have to go. Moving helped the stiffness and the throbbing. I also changed the ice on the Cryo cuff every 2 hours. That seemed to help, too.

The visiting nurse was here this morning. I was a little nauseous washing up and changing clothes, but I had an empty stomach. My blood pressure was up a little, the nurse said was due to pain. She changed the bandage, the incision looks pretty good, just a little discharge on one of the staples. PT comes this afternoon. All I want is the throbbing to stop and to be able to take a nap. I'm going to get real snippy, real soon if I don't get some rest.
 
You need to eat a little something with your pain meds. I kept crackers and little tubs of peanut butter beside my bed. I would eat two crackers with peanut butter with each pill. It prevents the nausea. Also, Naked Juice has protein shakes that are quite good. This is not the time to worry about loosing weight, this is the time to have a strong protein diet.
 
Thanks @skigirl i'm not worried about my weight one way or the other. I drink a protein replacement meal for breakfast because it has all the nutrients and vitamins my body needs. I think I need to eat before I get dressed. I like the idea of having crackers near me to munch on as needed. I don't like peanut butter but even the crackers should help.
 
Yep, always eating something along with my pain meds helped me a lot. And I echo the Miralax recommendations. I was absolutely miserable until I finally broke down and took Miralax.

Roxie
 
awww I hope you can get comfortable quickly!! Let us know how PT goes this afternoon!! I hope you have a nice person!!! If not, I may have to come beat them up for ya!! Heading out to the dentist - have to get a filling fixed. I had a cleaning last week and they said there was a crack and I said oh no to them "watching" it and so they are putting a new filling in this afternoon!! TTYL
 
I love Alan, my PT Man. He has a great sense of humor, and believes doing no harm. He explains the whys of everything he does. Gave me a list of arm and leg exercises to do and 2 stretches to do for the knee. He showed me how to prop up the pillows to get the best elevation. He also said that compression stockings would help, but I would only need knee high. Of course, that's why I ordered a pair of thigh highs. Oh well. He'll be back tomorrow and we'll do it all again. Yahoo!! @iivesfam5 how'd you'd make out at the dentist? It's hard getting all that work in before the surgery.
 
@Kansas Teacher I moved the bowels today surprisingly. At the hospital I was given Senekot and 100 mg stool softener. At home before surgery I was taking 100 mg stool softener because I took Vicodin at night. Now, I upped the Stool softener to 100 mg and added Benefiber to my iced tea. Things are nice smooth. Couldn't be happier.:flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like you're doing well so far. Keep doing what you're doing and don't forget the crackers. :)
 
Alan :) Where is he from - I wonder if he comes over the river :) Dentist was great - good thing I got the filling fixed because there were quite a few fractures in the filling he said..... I am feeling perfect. Still taking the antibiotic - I had an infection show in my urinalysis so I am hopefully going to be all set. I am getting nervous - I just can't wait to be in your shoes....... Well I guess it is your shoes x 2 :rofsign:
 
Thanks @kneeper. I am sollen and stiff. The Physical Therapist suggested I get up and move around every 30 minutes, so I'm trying to do that. I have plenty of food around me most of the day. I need to get some near my bed so I have it before I get up in the morning. That's when the nausea is the worse. So, when I get up in about 3 minutes to get my pain pill, I'll grab some Ritz and Put them near the bed. Thanks for the reminder.
 
Oh boy kind of like morning sickness, huh?? But now we are giving birth to new knees!! :loll:
 
@iivesfam5 I don't know where he's from, but he works for Hartford Health Care as does the Visiting Nurse. Good thing you get all that dental work done now. I had a crown just before my surgery done. Hopefully there's not a problem elsewhere causing the infection in your urine. That would not be a good thing. I did get a 30 minute nap in before dinner, boy did that feel good. Amazing how good the small things seem.:wow:
 
OK Hartford Heath Care - perfect - My Primary Care doctor is part of Hartford Health Care...... Maybe you can ask him if he goes over the river or stays only in Western CT. If he does can you PM me his info. I am sooooo afraid of the PT stuff and if you know he is tried and true and he comes East I am all about trying to use the same guy??

The antibiotic will kill the infection!! I am going to be good!!
 
OK Hartford Heath Care - perfect - My Primary Care doctor is part of Hartford Health Care...... Maybe you can ask him if he goes over the river or stays only in Western CT. If he does can you PM me his info. I am sooooo afraid of the PT stuff and if you know he is tried and true and he comes East I am all about trying to use the same guy??

Yeah, if he comes to your area, a by name request is a great idea. I asked my home health PT if I could by name request her next year, and she nodded (she had laryngitis for our last session).

I've been thrilled that all my PTs (home and out patient) have all exuded the mantra of "if it hurts, don't do it."
 
SO glad you are home!!! Take the stool softeners they prescribed. I did not because I did not think I would need them and paid dearly! I had no BM for 7 or 8 days in a row and as a result- had nausea and vomiting and pain in my abdomen. I took 2 enemas and ducolox and finally went....... and went and went........ The pain meds really do make you VERY constipated to the point that you can be miserable. If only I had known, I would have taken every stool softener pills they prescribed for me every day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@iivesfam5 he comes tomorrow, and I'll ask where he treats. I know he's real busy, but I like the slow and steady wins the race theme.
 
Oh boy kind of like morning sickness, huh?? But now we are giving birth to new knees!! :loll:
Funny and not so funny all at the same time. I had morning sickness with my son the entire 9 months, only the first trimester with my daughter. Neither was fun. Neither is this. But you are right, but you'll be giving birth to twins!!:rotfl:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom