TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Haha funny. Anyways u may want take the softners. I tell ya I did not take them and wow I was a mess. I did while in hospital. But then home they said no need. But mirilax works good.

Anyways I hope all is well. And yes they say get up. This avoid major stiffness. Ouch ouch. Heck I am still stiff at a bit over 4 months. I set to long and it's ouch. Takes me a few to get situated. And in a car to getting out is bad.

But I wish you the best....


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
And I have named them Lucy Riccardo and Ethel Mertz - not sure which is which yet - but I am sure in about a month to 6 weeks I will have that all figured out!!! BTW @momweb love the new pic!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Angel1978 you are right about sitting too long. I've found that after about an hour I'm real stiff and it's hard to get up and get moving. But sometimes I'm just so tired I just want to sleep. This kid needs to get its act together. And @iivesfam5 I'm sure Ethel and Lucy will love their new home with you. Way too funny.:heehee:
 
@momweb glad I got a laugh from ya!! I need to have fun with this to keep a good attitude!! Have you seen Alan yet? Don't forget to ask him about coming to Glastonbury!!
 
@iivesfam5 sorry kiddo, Alan does not travel to Glastonbury. I guess Lucy and Ethel will have to deal with someone else manipulating them. I bent the knee to 110 up 15 from yesterday. He was more than impressed. I am more than tired. The OT is coming this afternoon. For what? I have no idea. :zzz: I just need some sleep. Didn't they say get rest?
 
OT?? Isn't that Alan? mmmmm darn I really wanted him to come do mine!! are you just not sharing? :heehee: I hope you have a nice nap today!!
 
@iivesfam5 Nope, Alan was PT, Barb was OT who's job was to make sure I was safe in my own home and everything was ok and I wasn't some loopy woman once I got home from the hospital. And Mary is the Visiting Nurse who thank goodness, will not be back until Monday. OT just left and NOW I get to take a nap. This is worse than being in the hospital. These folks stay for about an hour and give you their undivided attention. UGH...I am not worth the trouble. I am just tired and starting to get grumpy.:bored:
 
Hey Sue - you are worth the trouble :) Go to sleep now honey!
 
I know how you feel @momweb ! I had nurses, PT, and OT coming coming for about a month when I went home with an infection and picc line. I finally told the PT and OT it was a waste of their time, to not come back until I called. I wasn't allowed to bend my knee so exercises were very easy and I didn't really need help. It was hard because I felt I needed to entertain and have an impeccable house when they came. The nurses had to come to draw blood, change the picc line dressing and check my incision.

How often do they come?
 
@iivesfam5 @PolarBear60 Finally got in a 45 minute nap. What a difference it makes! @KarriB Remember today is only Friday and I came home on Wednesday afternoon, while the surgery was just Monday. This morning I got up at 8:30, had breakfast, changed clothes, exercised, put on the compression socks, all of which took awhile. PT came at 11:15. He didn't leave until 1:15. He talks a lot which is fine, but not when you're real tired. The OT gal came at 1:30 or so. She took another hour to discover I really didn't need her, but she needed to prove it to her supervisors. Then as I told @iivesfam5 we had a death in our family just at the end of May that we are also dealing with. So, my husband and I talked a little about that before I finally collapsed on the bed and went instantly to sleep for the next 45 minutes. Tomorrow only PT comes. But everything is in slow motion so takes longer. I know I'm not complaining about the pain, but this fatigue thing is just as important to the healing process. Anyway, thanks for listening to my venting!:boohoo:
 
@momweb for sure all that activity would be all you'd need for the day! Add PT, OT, etc., and you've got to be worn out. Just showering and dressing at this point in your recovery is exhausting!
 
Fatigue was a challenge for me too. My PT had me just do light bike work on my off days in addition to my exercises to build my stamina up. It took a few weeks, but I was able to get through sessions without feeling fatigued as much.
 
@momweb how are you doing today? How is the pain? Are you able to keep that at bay I hope?? I am sure the exhaustion is going to really get to me too. Are you sleeping at night? I have been sending you positive vibes over the river and through the woods....... xxoo Not much new with me - just hanging around. Today we have our little grandson - Jeremiah and he is here until tomorrow morning so his parents can have a little date night. I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Did you have some help when you got home this week?
 
I know I'm not complaining about the pain, but this fatigue thing is just as important to the healing process.
Embrace the fatigue, if you can. It's important to your recovery, because you need to be resting as much as you can at this early stage.

Your body has gone through some serious surgical trauma and all your energy is being directed towards healing your leg and knee. The fatigue will decrease gradually, but it is going to linger for quite a while.
 
@Celle I couldn't agree more. I had a real good day yesterday as far as knee movement is concerned. Exercising and stretching went really well, maybe too well. Today, I took a step backwards. I woke up not feeling well, nauseous, headache and just a feeling of malaise. So, I took it real easy. I almost called off the Physical Therapist. But after slowly taking a sponge bath, breakfast and taking some Tylenol, I took a little nap and felt better. He came and said he was afraid this would happen. I did so well yesterday. So, today, we only did a few stretches to keep things moving and that was it. Iced the knee and rested. I'm prepared for the ups and downs like so many others have gone through. I'm trying to listen to my body, I just wish others would listen as well. Thank goodness my PT does. Thanks Celle.
 
I am sorry today didn't start great! I hope you feel better tomorrow!!
 
Hi @iivesfam5 today was a little of a setback but I guess from what I've read that's to be expected. The bruising is also starting to take over my leg. Looks like someone mixed some real pretty purple paint and poured it thickly starting at my inner thigh. It is slowly trickling down. The back of my leg has some and so does the side of my knee. The front of my shins is starting to change colors so I think I can expect some changes there, too. The PT said the good thing is that the darker it gets, the better, because it means it's healing. Yahoo!:eeeuw: MY husband has been here with me, but he's been a bit pre-occupied with issues with his Dad's death. He died May 28th, unexpectedly. We need to get the 3-family house ready for sale. He only has one brother, so things have been busy lately. He's tried his best with me, and I've tried as hard as I can not to be a pain. My son will be home tonight until Monday. My daughter will come over for dinner Monday to help celebrate my birthday with ice cream sundaes. If you read my post with @Celle you'll see how things went today with the PT and the fatigue. I do sleep but in sections, about 3 hours at a clip. Then I take the pain meds, ice the knee, bathroom break and I'm ready for the next 3 hour clip. But it's not enough. As you will see. And everything takes longer. Longer to get washed up, longer to get dressed, longer to move and I only have one knee. I can't imagine with two. Sorry, not trying to get you down. You'll do fine. I'll be back to my upbeat self soon. Right now...:dead:
 
No worries honey - you aren't getting me down..... I am so sorry about you not feeling great. Oh if bruising is common I will be hugely bruised because I bruise so easy..... I don't worry about doing both knees because I am in so much pain now - I know by the time New Years arrives I will be feeling better than I do now! I am thinking way ahead. I have no quick expectations - other than being able to log into work from home and hopefully getting back to the office by mid/late September.

I am so so sorry about your father-in-law..... Heartbreaking...... Hang on tight to your memories.... And an unexpected emergency just makes it more sad... I am sorry..

I am sure everything will be fine with your recovery..... Patience will be the biggest thing..... Just rest and don't focus on anything other than getting better for right now - your not even at 1 week yet so just do whatever you need to to feel ok.

I hope each day gets a bit better!! I will be thinking about all of you!! xxoo
 
You could find that, as you get up and about more, the bruising moves downhill, from higher up your leg, to your ankles and feet. That's not anything to worry about - it's just the effect of gravity.

I bruise easily too, and my legs were glorious technicolor after my knee replacements.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom