TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@momweb please take it easy. As someone told me " it was the turtle who won the race not the hare" So glad to hear you went out. I have a back up pain pills in the car and an ice pack you just break and gets cold. I think hubby got it @ Walgreens. Rest and ice today and tomorrow you should feel a bit better. Good thoughts on the way for a quick healing .:doggie:
 
Hi @Pescara I should get a couple of those break open ice packs. I could have used one today. Being in the car can be tough or any place where you have to keep the knee bent for an extended period of time. At least for me, I was all set to be the turtle, no big deal. But remember, I was "close to the finish line" when I tore that internal scar tissue and popped that stitch. It set me back about 3 weeks in recovery. When you're feel that good and things are going that well, that's a hard thing to swallow. My week of rest is almost over and I'll admit, I've cheated on the rest part a little, but then I've gone right back to icing and elevating. I'll start Physical Therapy again on Monday. He assures me we'll get the ROM back and start building the strength again. I'm just trying to get my head in the game again. With everyone's support, I'll be there. So, thanks again.
 
Thanks @jbrooklyn if you think I was good, my sister-in-law's sister came from New York after having TKR one week ago. She was in rough shape by the time she walked into the ceremony. Now, if I was one week out I definitely would have sent regrets. I give that woman a lot of Kudos but then again, I'm not sure it was the smartest thing in the world to do. Her doctor cleared her for the trip. But the poor thing looked miserable for almost the entire time. I thought I had it rough!:swoon:
 
Ugh! Not a good choice for sister-in-law's sister! I never realized how hard the recuperation was going yo be until I was in it. Then it was too late to turn back. But honestly if you just realize you're down for the count for at least 3 months you'll be fine. :unsure: But our lifestyles are get up and go, it's a good lesson to learn though.
 
Missed a wedding at week 4 and did go to my sister's dance showcase at week 6, but that was only for 2 hrs and the chair was just the right height for the amount of ROM I had. Sorry for your set back--I had two stitches work to the surface several weeks ago. One kept the skin open for about 2 wks.
 
Thanks @jbrooklyn if you think I was good, my sister-in-law's sister came from New York after having TKR one week ago. She was in rough shape by the time she walked into the ceremony. Now, if I was one week out I definitely would have sent regrets. I give that woman a lot of Kudos but then again, I'm not sure it was the smartest thing in the world to do. Her doctor cleared her for the trip. But the poor thing looked miserable for almost the entire time. I thought I had it rough!:swoon:
Wow....can't believe her surgeon would agree to that big a trip only one week out! Poor gal. She must have been miserable. You, on the on the other hand are doing really well! You know, it's okay to test the waters and see what happens when you push an activity now and then. We all do. It looks like you came back pretty quickly from your big outing. It will keep getting better and better. Just continue to do these things slowly to minimize the chance of that dreaded swelling and pain coming on. You'll get there!!
 
Wow....can't believe her surgeon would agree to that big a trip only one week out! Poor gal. She must have been miserable.

I agree!! I thought you weren't suppose to fly before 12 wks. due to the good chance of developing blood clots, which can be a real problem for those that fly long distances even without a major operation.
 
@Kssii she didn't fly but it was a good 2 1/2 hour car ride, the ceremony, then dinner. They stayed locally overnight and headed home the next day. But still that was a lot. Today I walked across the street for a baby shower. Because I have trouble with the bend in the knee, sitting can be an issue as are stairs. The shower was inside and out. I found it difficult carrying food and accommodating the stairs on the deck. Thankfully, the other guests were helpful. Now, I'm sitting and icing and all I did was walk across the street for a short party. Long way to normalcy.
 
I think being in the car that long is way worse than flying!! There is no way I could have done what she did at 1 week--nor would I have ever considered it! (I bet she really paid for it--poor lady.:swoon:) I was at week 4 before I could stand more than about 15 minutes in a car and I still don't love it!! Yes, it is going to take awhile to make it to the totally normal. People seeing you walking well and just assume that you are now hunky-dory. Not true!! I am having trouble with the back of my knee-Josephine thinks it is a baker's cyst. It makes the knee feel like it is getting pinched at the back and then it aches--especially at night.
 
Well, Physical Therapy came this morning after a week of rest since I popped a stitch and tore some internal scar tissue. Today was a day of re-evaluation and re-planning. My swelling is way down but still there. ROM was 112, not bad but down from where I was at 130. Extension is still 0. Thank goodness for that. I need to return to using the cane since I am limping. I am not happy about that. He said we need to give the knee a break. (I thought I did that all last week. :what:) I can do simple stretches, no bike, no driving, no normal stairs (wasn't doing that anyway lately). Need to get the knee happy again and build up slowly so we don't tear up the insides and make things worse and make the recuperation even longer. Not the news I wanted to hear, but it could be worse. So, here we go again. How slow can we go???:shrug:
 
@momweb . Take it easy.. it's not a race. Your body knows what to do. Rest and ice works wonders. Enjoy the time off and let everyone wait on you. You deserve it.:dogwalk:
 
Hello everyone, thought it was time for an update and I needed to voice my frustration, so this was the place. I'm now 7 weeks out from my TKR, and 2 weeks since I popped the stitch and tore some internal scar tissue. Swelling is way down, flexion is improving which is all good. But...I'm still unable to walk without a limp, hence I'm back to using the cane. I still have pain on the lateral side which is where the stitch was popped. Most likely a lot more healing needs to take place here. My knee has buckled 3 times in the past couple of days. The therapist is not sure why. He's hoping the stitch I popped is not floating around in the knee capsule causing issues until it dissolves.

I can't do much in the way of exercise while the knee continues to heal. I know that's the way it should be, but it's very frustrating, because I so want to do something besides stretch. I see the OS in a week. In the meantime my sister and her husband will be visiting from South Carolina and I want to be able to do things with them. UGH!

I guess it's still early in the recovery stage, but as the therapist says first you recovered from the surgery and then you had this other incident that you now have to recover from. Sometimes, I just have to wonder if it's all worth it in the end.
 
@momweb , I know how discouraging it can be. 9 weeks out and I still have a numb spot and trouble getting off the couch. Hopefully your sister will know you are still recovering from major surgery. Maybe a few small outings will be good. Yes.. It is worth it. Just think about walking without pain this time next year. I am 9 weeks out and still use an ice pack for trips longer trips over 20 minutes. I am sure they will understand. Your body has been through a big shock.
 
@momweb, just read your last post and wanted to send you a virtual hug and a whisper of encouragement. :console2:
 
I agree!! I thought you weren't suppose to fly before 12 wks. due to the good chance of developing blood clots, which can be a real problem for those that fly long distances even without a major operation.
I flew at 4 weeks with doctor's permission. It was a direct flight just over 2 hours. The whole trip was difficult but the flying was not that bad - I mostly slept, on purpose.

... I popped the stitch and tore some internal scar tissue. Swelling is way down, flexion is improving which is all good.
Ouch! Sometimes I feel like the heels slides are causing a rip inside. Now that I know it is possible, I will definitely not add those back.

Big shouts of encouragement as you "take it easy". Go slow! Go slow! Go slow!
 
Sometimes, I just have to wonder if it's all worth it in the end.

I want you to remember and read this at your six month and year anniversaries. It will most definitely be worth it by then! Sure takes a long time to realize that though! :)

Hugs to you!
 
:iagree: Tigz is right. Remember to think about this in terms of weeks. Seven weeks isn't 2 months yet and the return to work suggestion is 12 weeks. I totally understand the disappoint of hitting a snag in your recovery. Think about where you were last week when everything popped, next week you'll be just a bit further ahead. While your sister is here just try to keep that leg up when you go places or do things. I'm sure she just wants to spend time with you.
 
I agree with the others -- hard though it would be, try to be patient and give your knee time to heel. I think @tigz is a perfect example and I hope she doesn't mind me using her as one! She had the setback due to the MUA which took her awhile to recover from. Now she's doing great, has been released from PT and has good ROM. Patience really is the key although I'm a poor one to talk.

Roxie
 
Thanks @tigz, @Kansas Teacher and @KarriB I needed those positive thoughts. Sometimes when you're stuck at home with nowhere to go and no way to get there, the knee and its issues starts taking on a life of its own. Unfortunately the dog is only interested in having his belly rubbed and getting his treats. My husband is supportive but I'm not sure he really understands just how I feel. I've always been a half-full person, so even for me, this is tough. You are right, I need to look at where I was even as little as 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago on Saturday I was in the ER with a bowling ball for a knee and in extreme pain. Today, no bowling ball and not as much pain. Progress, yes! :loveshwr:And next week, I'll be even further ahead. Thanks everyone, @Pescara, @wings, @hawk2go for all the good vibes. Lord knows, I needed them this week, more than ever!!!
 
I'm now 7 weeks out from my TKR, and 2 weeks since I popped the stitch and tore some internal scar tissue. Swelling is way down, flexion is improving which is all good. But...I'm still unable to walk without a limp, hence I'm back to using the cane.
At only 7 weeks after a TKR, I can guarantee you that most people are still using a cane. Some are even still using 2 crutches or a walker. Use that cane until you can walk without a limp. There are no prizes for giving it up early.

My knee has buckled 3 times in the past couple of days. The therapist is not sure why. He's hoping the stitch I popped is not floating around in the knee capsule causing issues until it dissolves.
Your knee buckled because it's still new and recovering from surgery. Nothing to do with the stitch, I bet. It happens to other people quite frequently - and it's another reason why you still need the cane.
I can't do much in the way of exercise while the knee continues to heal. I know that's the way it should be, but it's very frustrating, because I so want to do something besides stretch.
You don't need to do much exercise anyway. Just a few (very few) heel slides and walking around the house, concentrating on correct gait. Your knee will recover with or without exercise. You don't have to work hard at exercise. I did the absolute minimum with my TKRs, never had formal PT, and they both function beautifully.
I guess it's still early in the recovery stage, but as the therapist says first you recovered from the surgery and then you had this other incident that you now have to recover from. Sometimes, I just have to wonder if it's all worth it in the end.
You didn't recover from the surgery. That takes weeks and even months. Full recovery takes as long as a year.

Yes, it is all worth it in the end, but the end is still a long way away. You've done 7 weeks out of 52, so I think you're expecting bit much of your knee and of yourself.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom