TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Hello everyone....Just a quick update. I saw my Surgeon this morning to check out my knee after my experience over the weekend. He took x-rays and checked everything out. The implant looks good and everything is where it is supposed to be. He confirmed that I possibly popped a lateral stitch that has a barb on it so it would be difficult to open the incision. He also confirmed that I probably tore some internal scar tissue which was most likely the crunching sounds I heard last Friday when I bent my knee. There is fluid and possibly some blood in the joint. So, the plan at this point is to take a week off. Ice, rest and elevate. Walking only for exercise. Physical Therapy can continue next week to slowly rebuild what I lost. My Rom went from 130 on Thursday to 90-95 today. So, here's to another bump in the road. Slow and steady.....:bored:
 
I'm sure sorry.....but, I think you're doing fine, not looking at this as a huge obstacle just another bump in the road. You'll look back at this and it won't seem so bad! Hang in there.....we are pulling for you!
 
Thanks @Cindy knits but I sure don't feel positive, although I am trying. Everything was going so well. I was being discharged from PT, my ROM was 130/0, I felt great! This doesn't feel like a bump, more like a mountain of ice that I need to climb without the right equipment. So, since I'm always up for a challenge, onward I will trod!

I'm just hoping, that after a week of rest, once I start exercising again, I will bounce back with a fury. :cheers: Because right now, this just plain sucks! :xmark:
 
@momweb - don't know that many of us would feel too differently than you do. But it is what it is, and the best way to get through it is to trod onward! Hang in there. I can only imagine how frustrating this would be.. I'm sure with the rest, it will get better.. As Cindy Knits said, we're all pulling for you!! :fingersx:
 
That's the problem with recuperation from surgeries, it always seems something could or does go wrong. But they just want you to take it easy for a week. That's not too bad at all. :bored:
 
Your surgeon sounds like a real peach. I'm so glad you were able to talk with him today. I bet you'll find yourself improving by leaps and bounds with a little rest/ice/elevation. That's the trouble with recovery....it's almost never a linear progression......roller coaster time! You'll feel better when you start to see some improvement again. It will come.
 
Just a small update...Swelling is down a little, bending is still not possible but hopefully that will come later. Still icing and taking it easy. The pain has eased up some so that's good, too. I'll take a small walk later and then it's back to the chair and the ice. Hope everyone else is doing well.
 
@momweb - I had something similar happen with my 1st TKR where I had a setback when I started using weights after I was 3 months postop and at the advice of my therapist and OS. One day I was doing great, the next I couldn't hardly put weight on my leg. My doctor was even concerned I had a stress fracture, but it just so happened that it occurred during a foot of snow, so there really wasn't anything I could do but keep my leg iced and elevated for about a week. I eventually got to see my OS who decided everything was fine, but that week, and another week of rest helped heal a lot of tissue and I got back everything I thought I had "lost" from just overuse too soon. Try not to stress, if you got that much bend before you'll get it back once the swelling goes down. Continue to rest and remember in the grand scheme of things these couple of weeks won't make that much difference in your overall recovery.
 
Thanks @Gigi32 it was just a shock. Everything was just going so well, then kaboom! It was just so unexpected! I was impressed with the ER when they contacted my surgeon. It's nice to see that kind of collaboration taking place in today's medical world. The hardest part is settling back to the rest and ice mode when you'd already moved beyond it. I keep telling myself, it's only a week. When I take my daily walks and they are so slow due to the stiffness and pain, I wonder if it will be only one week. I appreciated your support, it really does help.
Sue
 
Believe me, I feel your pain. I followed everything by the book, and when I hit that brick wall after doing so good, when I was only doing exactly what the doctor and therapist had told me to do I just couldn't wrap my head around it. In fact I remember telling the therapist that very thing. This time around, I've learned to listen a little more to my body and if it hurts I don't do it and don't worry about it. And you know what? It hasn't really made a bit of difference. My recovery has been as good if not better as the last time.
 
@momweb - Just a week probably seems like a long time.. but then at some point you'll look back and somehow it won't seem as long.. I'll be sending you positive patience vibes.. and of course, wishing you the best.. I have found resting and icing with a good book or a good movie helps time pass faster! :flwrysmile:
 
Yesterday was my first "outing". My sister-in-Law graduated from nursing school so we attended her graduation and a celebratory dinner. All in all it was amounted to 5 1/2 hours out. The first 3 hours were ok. I found an aisle seat so I could stretch my leg out, move, and not annoy anyone else at the ceremony. But standing around after was not easy. You could almost feel the knee swell and the pain increase. Then onwards to dinner. Once again sat so I could put my leg in the aisle. But it was a buffet, in a small room up a flight of stairs (which meant bathrooms were down a flight of stairs), so I was getting tired. The pain was increasing and I could have sworn the knee swelled to twice its size. But when I looked at it, it didn't look like it swelled at all, just felt like it. I was exhausted and by the 6th hour, I just wanted to go home. So, once there, climbed into my recliner like a long lost child, and iced me knee for an hour. OOOOO it felt so good and then I went to bed. Amazing how little we can handle after this surgery. Today, I feel good. Yeah!!
 
All that swelling is internal. You can't see it, but you can sure feel it as the pressure builds. Glad you're feeling better today.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@momweb i went to see Wicked (Christmas gift) a month and half after my infection surgery. I was not missing it! Went to dinner then the show. I could feel my knee swelling and my pants getting tighter around around me knee. Got home, peeled off my pants, elevated and iced at midnight! But we have to start somewhere, just take it easy today and tomorrow.
 
@momweb - I can just imagine how you felt by the end of the day. Hope you enjoyed the outing, though, despite the discomfort. Glad you're feeling Ok this am.. take it easy today.. :yes:
 
Having to be still is the worst. I thought I would have to remind myself to get up at work and walk around every hour, but I get very antsy and just have to get up and move pretty often. Cannot fathom making it through a movie, even. Never mind a graduation ceremony. You are brave!
 
@Slainte, believe me that is why I sat on the aisle. I was able to move my both my legs without disturbing too many people. My daughter sat behind me so I didn't bother her. I moved around a lot, rubbed my legs and my knee and couldn't wait to get up. But, I made it through, so it was an accomplishment of sorts.
 
Wow, @momweb, you had a big day yesterday, too. Hats off to you. I hope the earlier blip feels like it is receding into the past. It is quite impressive that you are able to be so supportive to others while undergoing ups and downs yourself. Also that you went to this event yesterday. Some folks would have sent regrets, but you showed up and were part of the celebration of your s-i-l. What a great model for your daughter. I hope you are icing and taking it slow today!
 
Back
Top Bottom