TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

I've had a difficult few days so I feel your frustration. It's hard when everything was going so well and then suddenly - wham - back a few days/weeks we go. 7 weeks is still very early days but I know it probably feels like you've been living this recovery forever - I know I do!! There's not much I can offer in the way of practical advice but know that there are others who also feel like you do and are sending their good wishes your way. If only we could buy patience at the store!!! :snork:
 
When I got impatient, my Grandma used to recite this little poem to me:
Patience is a virtue.
Possess it if you can.
It's seldom seen in Woman -
and never seen in Man!


I'm sure that's a little unfair on men, but I know how hard is to find our store of patience for this long recovery.
I do sympathise, because I've been there too and patience is a virtue I've never been accused of possessing.
 
@momweb , I promise it will get better. I never had the choice of outside PT. My insurance wouldn't pay for it . I has 6 home PT sessions and then left on my own. My husband makes me do them 3 times a day. He pushes me hard but nothing that hurts. He even takes his lunch hour at home to make me do them. I am sending you big hugs. Don't be so hard on yourself. I remember my PT saying try not to waddle like a duck lol. Even babies have to learn to walk before they can run .
 
Thanks @Celle I'm usually a very patient woman except when it comes to expectations of myself. I've always held very high expectations for myself and work hard to reach them. Funny though, I didn't work very hard at all for the first 6 weeks, it just came, then WHAM! I think that's what hurt the most. Almost a "How dare you?" I'm getting better at accepting it, but it was and is still hard. The weeks are long and boring. BUT...I will get through this, I have no choice. Thank you for your Grandma's poem. My husband has no patience when it comes to things going wrong, so it fits perfectly.:heehee:
 
@Pescara I lucked out with my husband's insurance. He worked for the State and had decent insurance so I am very fortunate to have unlimited Physical Therapy. My therapist is wonderful! He is very gentle and careful. He encourages and guides but never pushes too hard. We always stop when I hit a painful point. He's not interested in causing further damage; he wants me to heal. I see him right now twice a week. During the day I am not taking any pain meds, but night is a completely different story. I Can't wait until I can sleep through the night.
 
Hi @Raffs you got that right! I'm starting the road to acceptance. It only took 2 weeks, but I'm getting there. The swelling is way down especially in the morning. By night, the swelling is up and I'm still having such a hard time sleeping. Last night I had such painful twitches, I went back to taking the Valium, something I hadn't taken in awhile. I still take the Dilaudid at night every 4 hours. During the day I rarely have to take anything for pain. I do have my moments so I have my Tylenol 3. As a teacher I had pretty decent patience for everyone else. But for me, I have high expectations, I always have. I can overcome anything. I can do this, it's just taking longer than I expected. Thanks for your support.:thumb:
 
I've always been a half-full person, so even for me, this is tough.
I feel you! I have become this whiny, snappy Hawkie that my usual self does not even understand. I am beginning to learn to censure a bit, probably directly related to lower levels of pain.

I would love to see a continuous thread where the knee is the 1st person. Can you imagine? "Now you know I can't carry you up those stairs. Oh, you're going to try it anyway. Well how about trying this sharp pain with a side of buckling for my trouble. I bet you won't try that again anytime soon. Hey! Hey! Are you asleep? Oh, I see, you were just dozing off. Well stay awake and pay attention to me, me, ME!"
 
Made me laugh too, brilliant. Think our knees have done that to all of us!
 
You know pre-op I would read these threads but couldn't really comment, just didn't have anything to say. You really don't GET it until you're on the other side and then you're like 'aha, oh this totally makes SENSE'. It's such an all encompassing process where even with a by the book recovery so to speak it really is tough! I am finding such comraderie and support from this community. That was unexpected.
 
@hawk2go you are way too funny! :rotfl: I'm pretty good at humor and sarcasm, and even I couldn't have come up with that. But that is so true. The knee rules everything we do! It has taken over control of our lives! How did that happen? I'm used to being the leader, you know, the one who tells others what to do! I'm not used to being told what to do by others, let alone, by a stupid knee!! Well, knee, you win! I'm listening. I've been listening. Now give me a break. What ever happened to "I'll rub your "knee" if your rub "Mine"? Ok, so you get the idea!
 
@bdink21 it's funny isn't it? All of a sudden, you feel like you've known these people all your life. It's always been said you truly don't understand unless you've been there yourself. Well, you're one of us and now you understand. It's that simple. Some people write in code and yet we even understand what they mean. This process of healing has a way of giving us a power to understand none of us thought we had. Glad we could help support you because I know I couldn't have made it through these past couple of weeks without the support of the many friends I've made here.:flwrysmile:
 
@momweb - I'm about a week ahead of you and it's funny because I think I finally turned a corner yesterday afternoon. I've had this sharp ripping type pain in the lateral part of my knee since my OS removed the drain day 2 in the hospital and I've complained about it everytime I've seen him and the therapist. I just never felt something was right. Yesterday I went to the pool and did some really good stretching and bending and it felt really good, but after I got out I had this horrible ripping pain for a few seconds, then relief. I swear I think it was scar tissue that finally has worked itself loose because while my knee is sore today, I actually slept last night for the 1st time in 8 weeks and it feels so much better today. I'm keeping ice on it all day today, but hopefully you'll start to get the same relief in a few days once your setback heals.
 
@bdink21 You always have a friend here and great advice. I also " never got it" until I was on the other side. It will be a sea saw but through venting and questions and the wonderful friends here I would never have made it. It means the world to me. Hope you are feeling better today :flwrysmile:
 
I'm a month away and I've read this site like crazy. My perception - a circle of friends. I can't offer any advice as I haven't been there, but I can send well-wishes and hugs:friends:. You guys are way ahead of me, but we'll all get through this.
 
You are all right. I had my TKR on May 1 and have found this site to be a godsend. I've received great information, support and an occasional scolding or two when I needed it. My husband has been a blessing too and took great care of me in the early days but he doesn't "get it" like all of you do. Momweb, it sounds like things are looking up for you and I'm glad!

Roxie
 
@Gigi32 I didn't realize until I saw the doctor that they actually do a "C" shaped incision laterally after they make they cut to get access to the joint. That's most likely where your drain was (I never had a drain) and it is where I supposedly popped that stupid stitch. I have yet to be in water yet but I am looking forward to it when we head to New Hampshire next week. My hamstring area behind the knee is still tight, but the pain twitches laterally is what gets to me. I'm hoping you are right that it is just a matter of time for that area to heal and clear of any floating debris. They say all knees are different and yet they are all so similar in more ways than one.:friends:
 
That area where they did the "C" shaped incision internally is what's taken the longest to heal on my knee too. 3 months after the fact, there's still a wee bit of discoloration there. I wouldn't be surprised if I hadn't popped a stitch or two there too. But it's all getting better!!!!

Roxie
 
My drain was on the lateral side but my C incision was on the medial. May be one of the different ways :thumb: What seems similar is that "C" is where 80% of my pain occurs.

I'm not sure the moderators would appreciate a whole thread of "Tales from The Knee" but I'm sure we can all contribute some funny stuff (well once we get through it).
 
That's interesting, @hawk2go . My surgery was clear back on May 1. I'm doing very well but still have some twinges of pain right on that C cut and even a bit of discoloration right over the cut. My OS said it was a pretty major cut that was made there and that it would take awhile to heal. Hope it hurries up for all of us.

Roxie
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom