TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Well, I really can't put it off any longer. I should have done it years ago because now, my right leg is longer, throwing my gait off and it's causing problems with my back and hips. My husband has said for years that watching me walk hurts him! My left leg is pretty darn bowed so they will straighten it out.

Not to mention....it has gone down hill FAST with my last surgery and it's beginning to give out on me. Trust me when I say, I can get very anxious and tearful now that it's getting close. I sure hope I'm ready! But, at least I have you guys to talk me through it.

I'm so happy you're doing better....I'm really only having pain when I stand up and it's tight the first few steps. So...one way or another, we WILL get through this. Right?!? Lol
 
I'm on a similar med to you - combination of Tylenol (known as paracetamol here in the UK) and codeine. This is what I've been on since leaving hospital. It's worked well for me. I was on a strong dose to start with but have now started to cut down. Hope it continues to work well for you.
 
You think that when things are going so well, you won't have bad days. Well, yesterday was one of those "bad" days. I was depressed because it was my first weekend home alone. My husband was away with my son and my daughter works and is trying to get her own life back after a failed engagement this past spring. So, I try real hard not to intrude on their lives.

I still can't drive, so that limits my independence. I've seen my street and usually hanging around here is not an issue, but for some reason yesterday I just felt "closed in". To make matters worse, I must have done too much the day before, because my knee was killing me. Even the pain meds didn't seem to work. All in all it was a lousy day.:bawl:
Fast forward 24 hours...I took pain pills every 4 hours throughout the night and ended up sleeping until 9:30 this morning. I work up a different woman! :shrug: Thank goodness that other lady is gone!:) My knee is still a little tight, but I feel so much better. I guess we all need and deserve our own pity party from time to time. I did talk to my husband and he made me feel better.:roseshwr: This is such a long process, that I think sometimes we forget that we need to give ourselves a break!

OK, well, finished reading my book, got soaked walking the dog during an unexpected rainstorm, can't wait to see what other exciting things will happen today. It's a great day! Hope yours is too!:cheers2:
 
I hate it when "that other lady" takes over my body. Glad you sent her packing!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
There were many days I had that left out feeling. It's so hard. I missed Thanksgiving, an out of town shower and wedding due to my TKR/infection timetable just to mention the big things. I remember standing at my living room window thinking of how everyone's life was moving along but mine. (Poor me haha)
It will probably happen again before you are totally healed, but you know it will get better and hopefully those days will be fewer and fewer.
 
Thanks @PolarBear60 and @KarriB. I'm such a positive person that when I feel like I felt yesterday it makes it even worse. That little voice insides starts reprimanding you for having a lousy day which doesn't help. I'm lucky I don't give that "voice" much credence or power. It shows up, speaks it mind and then leaves!!
 
I am trying to just do ex Tylenol during the day, but after a week of work, I found I needed the Norco all Day on Saturday, but I had some lighter ones from before the surgery with 5-325. I need to call and get new prescription too since my dr is 3 hours away, it has to be sent to me to get refilled. Glad you were able to get some finally! Have a super Sunday
 
One of the many things I like about this forum is the ability to share our low moments. I put on a cheerful face for my family, as they are already doing all they can for me. But I can come here and share my worries and ask for help and just feel like I am jumping into a vat of support. Sorry you had a bad day. And glad some sleep seemed to help.
 
momweb,

I am sorry you had a bad day, but whatever you do, don't ever feel badly about that. This is a hard surgery and I can't imagine anyone being able to sail through it without difficulty and some sad moments. You are doing great!!

That closed in feeling is so normal when we are recovering and are stuck in the house. I have a beautiful view in my backyard that I was able to look at while I was on my couch icing and elevating, yet I felt closed in too at times. It's hard to be stuck inside when the whole world feels like it is passing us by. We all get it! Glad you are feeling better!
 
Thanks @Slainte and @MidwestTKR you are right. I think that's why I felt better, I was able to get those "awful" feelings off my chest to people who I knew understood and wouldn't judge. My husband is one of the greatest guys on earth, but even he, just doesn't understand how tough it is to be home all day, icing, taking medications, exercising to make yourself stronger and still be happy, me when he gets home. I appreciate everyone's support. My daughter and her friend surprised me and invited me out to dinner with them tonight. I'm excited!:dancy:
 
My husband doesn't know what to do with me when I get upset. Never has. 23 year old son came home for lunch one day from work a couple of weeks after my surgery and asked me what I did all morning. I told him exercised, had a pity party, iced. After that when he came home and knew I'd been alone for a while he asked me if I'd had a pity party without him every time he came in the house!

I've had to had them quietly nevertheless because the damn dog comes and sits and stares at me until I've settled down. The first week home he never left my side. We've nicknamed him "Comfort Dog". He is a golden retriever (see avi) after all. :D

Really nice weather where we had the a/c off bothered me the most. I guess because I couldn't be out in it.

Bottom line, hang in there. It happens to everyone and for me they got further and further 'til the next one. (Now that I'm back to work I'm just too exhausted to have a pity party!)

Enjoy your dinner. Aim for a booth in case you want to prop your leg up. :)

- Julie
 
Sorry to hear about your bad day, good to let the bad feelings out rather than bottle them up. It's wonderful that we can come on here and not have to put on a brave face all the time. Hope you had a lovely dinner.
 
@momweb... Once you start driving again you'll feel like that teenager who just got her license... Making excuses to run out to the store. It really boosted up my morale 100%!!
 
@bluejuju out of necessity I ended up taking my first car ride since the middle of June this past Sunday. The constipation from the pain pills had finally reached a point of no return and I needed some help. So, I crawled into my hot car,put on the air, adjusted the seats, since everybody else has driven MY car but me and drove to CVS. I have to admit, I was never so petrified in my life! I couldn't wait to get back in my driveway. What a strange way for someone who's been driving for 44 years to feel! :dubious: But, I made it, and now I know I can do it when I need to again, but I think I'll keep it to small, short drives, at least for now.

As an aside, the pharmacist was great. She talked with me for about 20 minutes and I ended up leaving with a box of Exlax. Only time will tell.
 
Approaching 6 week anniversary of surgery on Monday. Just when I think I've got it all under control and I've turned the corner of recovery, the knee says, "Hold on there, sweetie, there's a lot more healin' to do!" UGH! :flabber: I walk great, but discovered I can't stand in one place for a period of time, the knee starts to ache.

Today, our weather was hot and humid with thunderstorms looming. I haven't had to take a pain pill during the day for real pain like this, in several days. My knee screamed in pain this afternoon. My hamstring was tighter than ever, and even my calf was hurting. What the .....? I'm icing and elevating like I did weeks ago. How disappointing and frustrating. Could it possibly be due to the weather? Or is it because I've taken the knee for granted? What's up? I'm hoping the knee will feel better tomorrow.:sos:
 
Finally catching up on you....... @momweb an illegal car ride you bad girl lololol. I hope you hurry up so you can pick me up and we can be like Thelma & Louise!!!! I hope your tummy is better and the blue day other woman stays away!! xxoo
 
Hey Webmom....checking in with you. I haven't been on here all week and I'm just now feeling up to it. It sounds like little by little, you are getting your life back. Even though you have some bad days....they are mostly good now, right? I think you are doing great...and when you are a legal driver, come on over and visit me!
 
Hey @Cindy knits I've been waiting to hear from you! How are you? Are you home? How did the surgery go?

For me, things are going well. I've had a little set-back that we're giving a couple of days to see if it goes away. To the left of my scar I have a spot that is painful. It shows its ugly head if I do a leg raise as well. My PT wants me to ease up on any exercises and go back and ice and rest for a couple of days. He wants me to ice massage the painful spot. If the pain does not go away by Monday, he wants me to call my surgeon because that pain shouldn't be there. He's hoping it's just some scar tissue that's rubbing against something. So, I guess we'll see.

Anxiously awaiting your reply.
 
Hi @iivesfam5 I can't wait 'till I can drive to Glastonbury and take you to lunch, but only if I can be Louise. :rotfl: I've never been known to keep my mouth quiet for very long. I was supposed to be discharged from PT today, but based on yesterday, he decided one more week. I had a painful day yesterday that actually sent me back to taking Dilaudid all day. I have a painful spot on the knee that is felt when pushed as well as when the leg is raised. The PT is not sure if it's scar tissue that is rubbing against something or something else. A lot of swelling has gone down so my knee is not as stiff and is actually palpable. That could also be the reason why I feel pain, just a normal part of healing. But he wants me to back off of all the exercises and just rest, ice and elevate for the next couple of days. If the pain is not gone by Monday, he wants me to call the doctor. (I have a funny feeling he's on vacation)

I don't feel as bad today as I did yesterday, so part of it could have been the weather. Who knows? But I felt like I was smacked back 3 weeks. So, Thelma, our ride will have to wait a little, but I promise it will come!:hog:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom