TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Good to hear that you got a decent quantity. From what I've read it seems that most people need more pain relief at night. I guess it is because our knees are sore from whatever we've put them through that day and also to help us sleep a little better.
 
Oh dear Lord, never thought about that. One more thing to look into. Thank you for the advice.
 
@momweb make sure those pills aren't time release. If they are, do not cut them in half, it could be dangerous, because the release schedule could go out of whack.
Your message me so nervous I called the pharmacy to check and fortunately, I do not have extended release Dilaudid. It has a completely different Brand name, Exalto, I believe. This is another reason why I love this site. Thank you again.:old:
 
Whew! I didn't want to scare you, but I didn't want you to have a bad reaction either. That was an issue when my husband was filling my prescriptions right out of the hospital. The pharmacy didn't have what was prescribed, and it couldn't be cut in half, because it was time release. Fortunately, for one time prescriptions, I use the pharmacy in the clinic, so my doctor's office was right there, and they got everything worked out. I did some reading on the subject after I got home, and it was scary to contemplate. Fortunately, the pharmacy knew how to handle everything, but ordinarily, before now, I wouldn't have given a second thought to cutting a pill in half. In fact, I'd been doing just that for my cat on the same type of medication not two weeks before (I guess his wasn't a time release dose).


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Today I met a mile marker...I made it through the entire day without a single nap.:alarm: I was on my feet a little more than usual as well. Now, the biggest hope is that I will sleep better tonight. I am so tired of going to bed exhausted, falling asleep, waking up because I'm either in pain or unable to find a comfortable position. Tomorrow marks the 4 week point. I can't believe how fast the time has gone.
 
Me too! No nap today. Here's to a restful night for both of us. 3 weeks tomorrow for me - it has just flown by!
 
Yesterday marked 4 weeks since my total knee replacement. Today my Physical Therapist is considering discharging me on Friday. Wow, where did the time go! We practiced a new exercise today to build up the quad muscle. I can't believe how weak that leg is. But with measurements at 127/0, spasms under control (or at least I know how to control them), exercises in a routine, swelling almost gone, pain during the day under control...

I feel like I'm progressing nicely. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the support I've received from this site and continue to. It's a great place to share with people who know exactly what you're going through.:wow:
 
Wow...4weeks!! Time flew by for you. The next 4 will be even faster, and you'll progress even further!
 
Great update. So good to hear how well you're doing at just 4 weeks out. :yes!:
 
Today is one of those down days. Woke up with a Migraine and went back to bed and got back up at noon. The new quad stretch yesterday was difficult and my knee is sore today, not painful, sore. I hate days like these, you feel lousy so you don't want to do anything to help yourself. The weather is gorgeous, finally, in the East, so I may set up my chair and fall asleep outside this afternoon. So much for continuing to move ahead today!:eeeuw:
 
But you will be moving ahead if you stop and enjoy the beautiful weather while you rest and recuperate from a strenuous day yesterday (and an awful migraine!). It's the best kind of moving ahead, too. Just focus on enjoying doing nothing. It's a luxury.
 
Well, a day after the Migraine and feeling much better. I didn't get a good night's sleep like I was hoping, but I did sleep like a normal person with no extra pillows and no nighttime icing. I longer need the alarm app to let me know when to take my meds, my knee tells me loud and clear, especially at night.

Called the Surgeon today as I'm ready to cut back on the narcotics to something less strong. He prescribed Tylenol 3, 1 every 6 hours. I can still use the Dilaudid at night. We'll see how it all works. Eventually, I'll move over to the Tylenol 3 at night as well.

The tightness on the outside and behind the knee is there. It lessens with massage and movement. I'm working on strengthening the muscles. I am so pleased with my progress even with the ups and downs. The downs make me cry at times but are few and the good far outweigh the bad. I am so glad I did this and I will schedule the other knee when I see the surgeon in mid-August. (Did I really say that?):flabber:
 
Ha ha yes you DID say that. Geez I hope my recovery goes as good as yours has been going. You are doing awesome! I plan to do my other knee in January if all goes well.
 
@momweb, you made me chuckle! isn't it amazing to think that a few short weeks ago the last thing on your mind was another TKR? Just goes to show you....it really does get better! So glad you're doing so well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I think I misled you all and Lord knows I wouldn't want to do that. Nope, I can't believe I'm ready to say I'll do this again to my other knee. And Yup, I'm ready to do that. BUT, I'm not going to do it until after Easter next Spring. I'll see the surgeon in mid-August and that's when I'll make him aware of my plans. Just didn't want you to think I was "nuts" enough to do it in August. Sorry, folks, even I'm not that crazy or anyway near ready to do this again that soon! Besides I have vacation plans in October that will require 2 working legs. People on this site give people like me the mental healing I need to give my body the healing energy it needs and for that I am truly thankful.:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree more! Without this site I would have ended up in the loony bin for sure. Good to hear you so positive have your yucky migraine.
 
I'm so pleased that you are doing so well.....I think you've turned the corner for sure! I took a nap yesterday but had not taken one for maybe a week. Felt good to give into it though.....
 
@Cindy knits you have just 3 more days. Are you ready? I switched pain meds to a less potent one. But Tylenol 3 has codeine in it which still makes you tired. So far it's working well. I'm anxious to see how well your left knee goes. I've decided to wait until the end of March to do mine. My husband wants to take a trip to Tucson, AZ the end of October and then it's the holidays. By the end of March I'll have a really strong right knee ready to support my left. Keep me posted on things go.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom