TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry about your Olive Garden mishap! I had to tell you, my 30 year old son was here this weekend and I didn't do much either, really. But, I was so glad when he left (please don't tell him that!) I think I was just unable to lay around like I wanted!
 
Happy Anniversary to you @momweb! Sounds like your recovery is going well and that you are making great progress - this is reassuring to me. Thanks for sharing your experiences and I look forward to comparing notes and getting more advice from you -
:)Susan
 
Happy anniversary!! What a fantastic milestone :wow:
 
@Cindy knits isn't it sad that you crave company and can't wait for them to leave? My husband and I were talking about it afterwards. I didn't get to nap, I didn't get to just sit and veg out. I felt like I always had to be at the top of my game even though everyone understood where I was coming from. I even look forward to the PT leaving. My naps are short; about 20 minutes, but when I don't get them, I'm very cranky. It's still only 3 weeks for me and my body is craving those naps and the ice. Today I didn't take my 2pm pain med. That's a first. I can't guarantee it will happen tomorrow, but it's a start.
 
Hi @sologros my name is Sue, as well. Thanks for the Anniversary wishes. I can't believe how fast 30 years has gone by. I'm amazed how well I'm progressing. I was petrified before surgery because something always goes wrong for me. I've never been an athlete but I've always worked out. I used to run, then power walked, then just walked. Eventually I couldn't even walk to exercise. Arthritis took over all my joints. In January I decided to try out the swim aerobic classes at the Y. I observed a class and came home and vowed it was not for me. Those people were SO old! :sad: But, I gave in and said it's the only type of exercise I can do. What a difference it made for me. I believe with all my heart, that's why I'm doing so well now. Today's flexion was 127. Amazing! I think when I'm done with my home physical therapy I'll be done. Still can't drive yet, but that will be next. Attitude is a biggie! Keep it positive.:yay:
 
Today was one of those drops in the roller coaster ride we're all on. Had a difficult night sleeping. It seems that the little peddling I do drives my knee nuts at night. Every time I pedal for only 5 minutes, I wake up with pain and stiffness the following morning. My PT saw me this morning and my flexibility is still great, I'm still bending at 125/0 even with the stiffness. The surgeon did a lot of work laterally so all that soft tissue needs to heal and that's where a lot of my pain and stiffness is. So, the new plan is to break things up into smaller doses; smaller walks, stretches and smaller amounts of peddling. Then ice the top of the knee and use moist heat under the knee from the thigh to the calf. Do this several times during the day. See if this doesn't help ease things up so that by the time I get to bed, the knee will be ready for a good night's rest. Worth a try.
 
You are only 4 weeks and your ROM and extension is stellar! Between 4-6 weeks is when my depression hit... felt like I couldn't do anything. Very important to rest and not overdo it with exercise at this point. I think you are really doing better than a lot of people @momweb. Just think in another month how good you will feel!!
 
@bluejuju Thanks, and that's what my PT keeps telling me. If I've learned anything in the past 3 weeks, it's not to overdo. I've had those days when I've felt so good, I did way more than I should have. I paid dearly for the next 2 days. Those set backs I don't need. I'd rather continue to progress slowly ahead, deal with the aches and pains I have knowing how far ahead I really am. The only thing I really want to be able to do is drive. But with that comes the real ability to overdo. The open road provides more opportunities not available in your home. I'm trying real hard to practice what I've learned and what I preach.
 
I couldn't drive till my 6 week mark- that's when I was off narcotics during the day( still took a small dose at night for comfort). Once I started driving the depression lifted like a fog.
 
Very wise words re not overdoing things and practicing what we preach. Sometimes easier said than done! You are doing so well, keep celebrating each little win and looking forward to the next small step towards increased mobility and independence.
 
Hello everyone. I need to share with you what happened today so it doesn't happen to any of you. I still am not driving due to the hamstring tightness which is coming along so my husband drove me to CVS to get a few things and fill my prescription for Dilaudid. Well, CVS did not have any Dilaudid and the order would not arrive until next Thursday. I didn't count the pills so I wasn't sure exactly how many I had. I had them call another CVS and supposedly they didn't have any either. Now what? We drove home and I counted, I have enough to get through Monday morning. Our insurance says we need to use CVS. I called them and asked what I was supposed to do now. The DEA has tightened up the laws on Schedule II pain meds so much so that even pharmacies can only order so much of the drugs during a certain period of time. I understand the reason for this and the abuse possibilities, but when you are in pain from surgeries such as ours, this is adding insult to injury.

Her advice was to try Walgreens and Walmart. They tend to be better at stocking Controlled Substances. So, later today we have to drive around, because they are prohibited from telling you if they have the drug in stock by phone, to see if I can get my prescription filled.

You know how we say stay ahead of the pain? Who knew we had to stay ahead of the prescription game as well. Sign me, Aggravated in Connecticut! :sigh:
 
Sad that has to happen, other members have had similar challenges getting the pain medication they need.
I do not know if Dilaudid is generic, I used Norco, the generic is inexpensive even if you pay out of pocket.

Pharmacies cannot give out that information, too much risk setting them up for a robbery. It happened at the pharmacy I use two months ago.

Good luck, I hope you find a pharmacy stocking your pain medication.
 
Good luck @momweb . I hope you're able to get your pain meds -- I almost ran out of them once early on and it scared me to death. I did figure it out but it wouldn't be a good thing to run out of.

Roxie
 
Sometimes the smaller privately owned pharmacies have larger quantities or just reorder quicker to keep their supplies up. As a hospice nurse I am constantly needing to get meds for my patients. Usually CVS, Rite Aid, etc don't have what I need but the privately owned pharmacies always will. Out of pocket is not bad for hydromorphone, generic dilaudid. My hubby takes that for his bad back. Good luck on your quest :)
 
My doc only gave me a prescription for a fairly small quantity of the stronger pain meds I'm on. I've got a phone consultation with her on Tuesday and I think I'll ask for some more then so that I don't run out. Did you manage to get your prescription filled?
 
@Raffs we finally got them at Walgreens just before they closed on Saturday. What an adventure!
 
@momweb Love your post!! I am not far behind you mine is July 28!! Wishing you well and looking forward to your posts!!! :)
 
Thank goodness for that! Hope you managed to get a decent supply so that you don't have to go through this fandango again next time you need meds!
 
@Raffs She gave me 90 pills which should last a while even at 6 pills a day. Yesterday I tried cutting these very tiny pills in half to take during the day. I still need something but not quite as strong. But at night I need full strength. You'd think it would be the other way around.
 
@momweb make sure those pills aren't time release. If they are, do not cut them in half, it could be dangerous, because the release schedule could go out of whack.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom