THR The marvels of recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My swelling is most noticeable in my foot. Looks worse than it feels.

Snapped a picture of my dressing but since it's still clean I probably won't see the incision until
I get my staples removed next week.

I've had a few naps and they always feel good.

I've been managing to get in/out of the shower without any aids. Just needing a bit of help lifting my foot over the edge. showering made a huge difference in how I felt
 
Back to cats....... My cat Gigi seems very freaked out by the walker but not the crutches. If I go to the door to let her in and I have the walker she cowers and hesitates, then runs past it as fast as she can. She has been spending lots of time on my lap lying directly on my incision which actually feels kind of good.

I have also been having issues with leaky ice packs from the hospital (they sound like exactly the same type you have, Julie). I'm wondering if I need to ice if I have no bruising and no swelling? I've been putting the ice right on the incision but it seems a little silly. Of all the pieces of the Bonesmart "mantra" this is the only one I've not been very compliant with.
 
@Sagefemme

Always happy to go back to cats! :kittykiss:

My pets are also less freaked out by the crutches. Nobody likes the walker, I'm afraid. The cats veer quickly to the wall and run by me when I have the walker, and the dog looks at me like I'm going to punish her with it. Of our three mammals (we have two cats and a dog), it is our cat, Funcil, and the dog, Ginger, that are my very constant nursemaids. Funcil will lie next to me or at my head and keep vigil. She's wanted to get on my and curl up in my lap, but I haven't had the nerve. Your cat's not bothering you, though, ehh?

Sounds as though you've got a nice purring warm-pad for your incision. That's pretty great considering the healing potential of the purr!

[Bonesmart.org] The marvels of recovery

In the mundane world of icing, I've largely abandoned the white bags the hospital sent me home with. I replaced them with a set of nice English-style ice bags that transmit the cold better and don't leak! I'm envious if you have little swelling and bruising. I am swollen from my knee to my hip, and my incision is surrounded by a vivid purple field of bruising. Pretty!
 
@JayP

I'm thinking that a shower will make me feel like a different person. :tada:

The reason I've got to wait for the shower aide is related to the toe-touch restriction. My PT was concerned that I wouldn't be able to maintain my balance for a whole shower using just my right leg to support me. She was probably right. When I do the standing leg exercises, I have to sit down to rest my right (good) leg.
 
Oh dear @JulieJF I am now having visions of you putting a pin in your leg and wizzing off around the room like a balloon. If only things were that simple.
Hope your swelling goes down soon, I have to say I was very lucky and had almost no noticable swelling at all.
I'm still sleepy too, I think its the drugs, especially as I've now gone back on the stronger ones.
 
@Liznwiz

Yes, I think you're picturing my fantasy!

Don't get me wrong...I think it's getting better, it's just still uncomfortable behind the knee. My son looked at my leg yesterday and said that, instead of looking twice the size of my other leg, it was one and a half times the size. Less gross, he pronounced. :)
 
@JulieJF
Enjoy that shower!

I've been fortunate that I'm stable enough standing to shower without aids. Up until yesterday I only needed help lifting my foot an inch over the side of the tub. I "could" do it on my own today but I should wait until I'm not alone- just in case. Been using cling-wrap and plastic tape to keep my dressing dry.
 
That was possibly the most glorious shower I've ever taken. I can't remember a time when I hadn't properly washed my hair for a full week - not camping, not after my c-section, nope never. The dry shampoo was helping to keep up appearances, but on my head, my hair felt like someone else's gritty, enhanced volume, strangely stringy wig.

Oh, so happy. You were right, @JayP, getting clean has made me feel better all the way around! It's great that you're able to get in and out of the tub with just a little help navigating your operated leg over the edge. It's smart to make sure that someone is available nearby, though, even if/when you feel independent with the shower. There's water, soap, slippery tub surfaces, and tile. Why take unnecessary chances?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
Happy @JulieJF, heading into Sunday bright and clean and shiny! Congratulations on the shower, that must have made you feel so much better! I was in the shower second day post op much to my surprise, waterproof dressing, seat and off you go! Isn't it amazing all the different rules and regs we all have?

If you aren't sore, and don't swell (like @Liznwiz ) then the ice might not do much, but otherwise it is good medicine! I used frozen wheatbags (no liquid and no dribbling, don't get AS cold, but still work well) when I got home. I got swelling when I sat too long mostly, or overdid the walking - but the main thing was that when you get that aching stiffness, the cold was very soothing, so just keep up the icing. I had heaps of bruising too, but all gone now :)

On the other hand, I did get some jumping, twitchy crampy muscles in my thigh, front and back - and I found a warm wheat bag was just the thing.
 
Day 9:
Yesterday, I ended up feeling really weak. I had lower energy than I had had the day before, my shoulders ached from supporting me on the crutches, and I was just feeling more slow and slow. The shower even made me feel tired. I guess I should expect days like that from time to time though.

Today is the first day that my leg hasn't been quite so hot. With the swelling, I've been pretty exothermic and I've gone through so much ice! It feels good to think that my body is getting the swelling under greater control. :)

I also tried stepping back my dosage to 5mg oxycodone every three hours. I was at 10 mg every four hours, and I noticed last night that I was at the point of starting to forget the 4 hour mark, I decided to experiment with reducing the dosage rather than extending the time. Anyway, it seems to be holding me okay.

Cat is here for my purr therapy. I'll have to set this aside for now!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
@JulieJF yeah, you got to shower!
What position are people sleeping in? I only feel comfortable on my back but I'm a side sleeper. I can't wait till the day I can sleep on my side, again!
 
@JulieJF I had a few moments where I absolutely had to close my eyes. Over my energy has been pretty good.

@Gummy Bears I'm normally a side-sleeper. Of course more back-sleeping since surgery. Tried sleeping on non-op side but my op-leg feels too heavy and I don't feel confident to make micro-adjustments.
 
@JulieJF how are you doing? Everything going okay?
What did you mean by your leg didn't feel as 'hot'? Just curious! Hope the swelling is down and your med schedule is working out okay. The PA told me the first two weeks are up and down and each day can really vary.
 
Hi @JulieJF - I don't believe you have been provided with the links to the nutritional articles - so here you go when you are feeling up to browsing :)

I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
@Gummy Bears

My leg was literally warm to the touch due to the swelling. The hospital said it is just part of a normal immune response. Needless to say, perhaps, but I was an ice melting machine!

Swelling is still really obvious in my operated leg from knee to hip, but the bruising is starting to fade and there is more of a taper around me knee. Let's call it the suggestion of the shape of a normal knee. :)
 
Swelling is my main issue- mainly my foot. Minor in the morning and peaks by late afternoon. Raising/icing helps but walking also seems to help.
 
@JayP

Yes, I've noticed that walking seems to help the swelling, too. My husband could actually see the reduction in swelling one day. Overall, I'm pleased to see the vague shape of a knee emerge from the puffy, bruised mess that has been masquerading as part of my leg! Like you, my worst swelling isn't at my incision. I guess that surprised me.
 
@JulieJF you were talking about being to tired. Don't forget Energy drain for THRs - it's real and you just can't fight it. I planned a day of activity followed by a rest day post LTHR. Pretty soon the activity days took over. This too shall pass!
 
@Jaycey

Haha! I'm definitely not even trying to fight it! When I'm tired, I'm letting myself rest and/or doze off. Some days, I feel more dozy than other days, and I'm okay with that. I know that all of my body's energy is dedicated to healing right now and that healing doesn't happen at a pace I can control. It happen's at my body's pace - so I'm not overdoing physical activity or expecting too much of myself. I'm letting my body call the shots!

I do like the idea of an activity day followed by a rest day. It's a good way to remind myself that if I do something that stretches me physically, I need to plan to rest up afterwards!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom