THR The marvels of recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be making a great recovery, considering the extra difficulty of your surgery! Did you have posterior approach? Is sitting in chairs easier now? I'm inspired by your strength! If you can do this so well, I should breeze through...HaHa...trying to coach myself. (I am not so good with pain, more of "the Princess and the pea")! Continued prayer for smooth sailing your way! Keep up the great work!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good Luck tomorrow @JulieJF Hope the interview goes well. A haircut is going to make you feel so much better, its lovely to go to the hairdresser and come out with neat and tidy hair. Personally I would ask your son if he can drive you especially up the hill, it maybe easier coming down.
 
@Gummy Bears and @Liznwiz

Thanks for your well-wishes for this day!!

Well, I can officially say that I overdid it.

Yesterday, I felt really good walking on our block and walked about 0.3 miles. So today, I thought, "Why not walk to the haircut?" It's only 0.3 miles...what's the worst that could happen? Abandon the plan mid-walk and Uber a taxi? Against your good advice and my own inner voice of caution I decided to walk.

Let me first say that nothing bad happened. My son walked with me all the way, and I got there in one piece. It took me about half an hour to walk that distance with the crutches, though, and by the time I got there I was hot and a little bit shaky. My stylist was great. She plied me with water (offered me wine, but that didn't seem like a good idea mid-day) and put my leg up on a stool.

By the end, though, I was really concerned that I had depleted the energy tank all the way, and I still had an interview to go!

Got home by taxi (a pathetically short ride in a Prius which was a little bit uncomfortable and awkward to climb into and out of) and iced with my leg up for an hour. Then Ubered a cab to get to my interview. Thank goodness a handicapped accessible mini-van showed up. I could have wept for joy. Oh, the leg-room!

The interview went well. :) Two hours later, my leg was a little sore and swollen from sitting, but no major pain.

Made it out to a corner where traffic should have been free-flowing, but NO, there was some kind of race / walk in lower Manhattan that had streets blocked off. This is the point where I found myself on the verge of tears in public. Lucky for me, my husband had driven over and had found a place to park while waiting for me that was about three blocks away. I made it - slowly - to where he was. As luck would have it, this was my second walk up a slight hill in one day. On the way, I decided that there is a special place in hell for people who don't give way on the sidewalk for someone on crutches. So what if they're on a fundraising run in the financial district? MOVE OVER.

I'm certain that today is one of the activity days that @Jaycey pointed out. :) I plan not to move more than I absolutely have to tomorrow!
 
You are a Rockstar! I'm so inspired by your achievements thus far! Now ...maybe you should rest a bit tomorrow. ?? I hope your interview went fabulous! I pray that I will recover as well! You're setting the standards pretty high, ya know!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JulieJF Hi, why start being antsy at 2 weeks, Your priority is to be mobile and pain free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing that's keeping you pain free are the things(meds) you're wanting to cut back on! Patience, you are doing great, why torture yourself! They sawed your bone off, this is what you need for recovery.
 
@JulieJF wow, what a day! You could have been a writer, I could picture every part of your description (and relate!) quite well. I'd be curious to know how you are feeling today (besides tired!). Sometimes I expect to be sore but I actually feel better after an active day. I have to venture back to the pool with my daughter today, which I do not look forward to.
 
@JulieJF sorry to hear about your pain but your hair dresser sounds fantastic, its good to know she was able to let you put your leg up for a while.
Hope the interview went well and its going to be good news for you.
Being on crutches does make you more aware of how inconsiderate people can be. I know it will make me more aware in future. I remember when I left the hospital and the nurse wheeled me out to the car in a wheelchair, it was so scarey. It felt like I was going at speed but obviously only going at walking pace.
I've been doing some tidying up today and I was supposed to be going grocery shopping today. Shopping has been abandoned, I am in a little bit of pain from the tidying up. I think although the surgeon said I could bend properly now, I may have overdone it picking things up from the floor.
Rest up today, I think its probably needed.
 
@Jaycey , oh boy, is today a rest day! I wouldn't even buck that if I could. My body is tired.

@Gummy Bears, I'm feeling surprising good today aside from the tiredness. I was expecting my leg to feel extra heavy or sore, but no. The only pain that I noticed this morning was pain in my hands from where I was keeping a death grip on my crutches yesterday! LOL. :heehee: I also have muscle soreness in my arms, shoulders, and right calf - all those muscles that are doing extra work to propel me along without putting real weight on my left leg. I was expecting extra swelling in my leg today, but that's not the case either. I'm pleased that my operated leg is almost back to normal size!

Looking at my sleep cycle on the Misfit app was really telling this morning, too. 5h 44m of deep, restful sleep and only 2h 18m of light sleep. It's like I got knocked out or something!

You're so right, @Liznwiz, about awareness. I know more now about personal space needs with crutches or a walker. I know how awful it feels when people stare and how nice it feels when people go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Ah...the little things that make us nicer to people around us once we're in the know!

Thanks, everyone, for your well-wishes on the interview! I'll let you know if there are any developments.

I'm off now to do the most strenuous task I've assigned myself today - wind a ball of yarn from a new skein!
 
A well deserved rest day!! That was a real workout for your hip - but it showed how far you've come since
your surgery.
I'm looking forward next week to my first visit to the hairdresser since my surgery. On one crutch now most
of the time and getting around quite well.
Good luck with your interview!
 
My dad was looking through old pictures and sent me this today, so I thought I'd share. The photo is of me on my first birthday in traction at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto prior to an osteotomy with Dr. Salter. I was a much cuter patient at one year than at 46! :heehee:

Anyway, that was at the start of the journey that brought me finally to hip replacement. From what I can see, I've had a fairly typical run of treatment and outcomes for someone with severe congenital hip dysplasia. I'm so looking forward to seeing the new x-rays and seeing how the new hip is shaped and placed compared to the bone that I was born with!

[Bonesmart.org] The marvels of recovery
 
Wow- brings back memories of my osteotomies/traction/Sick Kids-although I was older at the time, about 12.

I managed a quick glance at my x-rays on the computer screen last week when I was in for staple removal. I will ask for a copy of the disk at my 6-week follow-up.
 
You were so cute - still are I'm sure! You look kind of proud of that cast!
I was treated at Sick Kids by the famous Dr Mustard for a depressed skull fracture when I was two 1948. Small world @JayP and @JulieJF
I would love to see my hospital records as I don't know much about it. I fell out of my highchair - that's all I know.
I am so glad I have not had to go through many ops like you two have. Maybe this will be your last!Di
 
@JulieJF

Poor darling! I look at that picture of you all strapped up, with your little head resting on your hand and I want to just...just..just pinch you (why is it when a little child or animal are so cute, you kind of want to well, pinch them...LOL?)!!!!!!
 
My husband and I had a good walk yesterday, so today is another rest day.

Yesterday's walk was one long block up the hill to the pet store and back. It was the same hill that I walked up to get to my haircut, but I didn't have to walk the three (short) blocks west this time. Coming down the hill's incline on crutches is much more pleasant than going up!

Walking outside, my dog is very concerned about me and is downright solicitous. She's got some herder in her (Australian shepherd to be exact), so she needs to be out in front at all times. However, she's been much better about slowing down if I'm out walking than I had expected. Generally, she gets a few paces ahead of me and turns to watch my progress, then moves out ahead again. Around the apartment, she's getting used to the crutches. Maybe too used to them! She pretty much doesn't move. :heehee: Still, she's an awfully good nursemaid!

This morning, I woke up and got straight up, forgetting to take pain meds. Now I see what forgetting the pain meds really means! At noon, I finally noticed and took a Percocet, but I didn't notice that I hadn't taken one before then. Progress.
 
Julie great news you are doing really well sorry to hear about your small setback when going to the hairdressers, glad you were able to get to the interview and hope you get some good news. Mind and keep a cane/ crutch handy for when you go out a walk in case you need some support. I am two weeks back at work and purchased one just for a bit of security and the need to use it if I have to.

Billy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom