THR The marvels of recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear you had so much problems getting your medication. I was lucky and the hospital dispensed what I needed before going home, although had I needed more I would have had to go through my GP and thats far from easy.
Now you can get your pain under control you should be up and running soon
 
@Gummy Bears
Yup, this hip has danger of turning me into a morning person! It's nice to be able to turn to this form and find people to talk to at all hours of day and night. :)

Feeling okay this morning - more settled and confident being at home if you know what I mean. How about you?

I remember when my son was an early riser. Haha! He's not anymore! My son comes home from college today. Oh, I can't wait to see him. I know he's been concerned and wanting to do his part to take care of me. He says he'll wait on me hand and foot. I think the timing of this surgery coincident with the end of his school year is actually a good thing.

I'm envious that I see you'll be showering today! Wow - I can't WAIT for shampoo. Dry shampoo is such a lie! Just doesn't work well for me. I think that the visiting nurse service and in-home PT that the hospital set up will start tomorrow, not today. I'm looking forward to that so I can shower.

I'm also looking forward for a visiting nurse to check my incision. In the hospital, they were saying that the incision looked perfect, but I think the trip home put stress on it. I've been icing aggressively since then, but I am looking forward to a nurse telling me it's okay.
 
@JulieJF hope you have the pain meds sorted out. Hard to believe the pharmacies don't have a better system. I know you are glad to be home. The best advice I can give you is to ice and stay ahead of the pain. Do therapy at your speed. Everybody's recovery is different and your progress will fall somewhere within the spectrum. I can see some improvement within a couple of days. Good thoughts, hugs, and great caring hands for you as you recover. Looking forward to reading your progress.
 
@JulieJF - lovely to have your son home again. How annoying the run-around your husband was given with
your prescriptions. It's sad that drug-abusers have caused so many problems for those who really need the
medications!
Take care and enjoy all the attention your son has promised:loveshwr:.
 
Hope you get that pain management cocktail sorted @JulieJF . It is sometimes the hardest part of this journey. Do take anti-nausea meds if you need them. Ice, ice and more ice!
 
@Jaycey

Agreed. I think the pain management is sorted out. I'm taking that and the nausea tablet proactively. And I'm following the BoneSmart mantra as well as my OS's recommendation to ice "aggressively" as he put it. Knee to hip is a sausage. Yucko.
 
Ice anywhere that feel swollen. They really man handle you during the procedure so there are bound to be some sore and bruised bits. Glad your surgeon recommends icing. They looked at me like I was from Mars when I first asked for ice post RTHR! :rolleyes:
 
Well, today there seems to be more bend in my knee, and when I flex my quad muscles, there's a dimple where I remember a knee once showing up. :heehee:

Yesterday was an adjustment.

Family stresses of home care
For the record, my husband is very patient and nurturing. He started off being totally frazzled in the role of primary caregiver. He's trying to juggle working at home for an initial period of time with taking care of me, and he keeps getting impatient with what are, to me, little things. For example, yesterday, he handed me my pain meds and knocked my water bottle off the stool that we've placed next to my side of the bed. He didn't react well to that. Then, immediately after wiping up the first spill, he knocked the water bottle over again when he replaced the stool within my reach. That just sent him over the edge. :gaah: There's nothing I can do, but it makes me feel annoyed and anxious that he's reacting that way. I mean, it's spilling onto a wood floor - he's rolled up all of our area rugs - so it's not like it's a hassle to clean up or leaving a big wet spot on a carpet. There were several small incidents like that yesterday. I know he's feeling anxious about doing a good job of taking care of me, but I need him to relax and go with the flow!

Pets
My dog doesn't quite know what to make of me. She looks at me as though the walker and crutches are instruments designed to punish her. Yesterday, when I had gotten into bed for the evening, she jumped up and started to sit down on my left foot. I started frantically kicking at her with my right foot. No damage done, but I was afraid she would roll my leg.

Food
I have an appetite, and I definitely get hungry, but after a few bites, I'm full and done. For example, one night, we ordered sushi for dinner. I ordered a roll. I could have called myself done after probably two pieces of the roll. I made myself eat four pieces, or half of the roll. I don't get hungry between meals. It just seems that my body isn't calling for much food. My mother-in-law told me to expect this, yet it seems so counter-intuitive. Since I'm not eating much, I'm trying to concentrate on eating protein and vitamin C for healing. I'm wondering if others are experiencing this decrease in how much you want to eat.

Fitness tracker
I walk whenever I get up to go to the bathroom. This currently consists only of walking up and down the long hallway in our apartment. Interestingly, however, these short walks are getting me almost to the very low baseline goal I set for myself on the Shine fitness tracker. I am going to track my increasing activity and stamina with the Shine...anyone want to join me with a fitness tracker? :SUNsmile:

This afternoon or tomorrow, I plan to venture out into the hallways of my apartment building. A spin down the hallway will be a great next step for me. :dancy:
 
Trying to find a routine in all this is challenging for everyone in the family - including the four footed members. Perhaps if your husband knows that he does not really need to wait on you hand and foot it might ease his stress levels. Sure, it's nice that he is trying. But many of us managed on our own just post op. I would let him know that all the attention is very nice but he should not feel anxious about it.

Poor puppy does not understand either. I really think pets sense that you are poorly. They want to be near to help. I hope you made up with your dog and let her know she is loved.

The food thing will sort itself. Medication along with all the trauma is hard on your system. All the focus is on recovering from all the trauma and healing. Eat small meals often to help keep your energy level balanced.
Shine fitness tracker
Way too early for this I am afraid. Focus on moving around only when you need to for now. There is plenty of time to measure your progress once you are totally confident on your feet. Slow and steady is the tried and tested method in this recovery.
 
@JulieJF I think you are probably right about your husband wanting to do well caring for you and its probably worrying him when things don't go quite right. Hopefully as you become more mobile he will relax a bit. I know my hubby struggled for a few days when I was first home. He wouldn't let me do anything for myself, now he is far more relaxed and less stressed.

As for food I too wasn't into eating much for a few days, now all I want is sweet things.

Having a fitness tracker is a great way to monitor how far you walk each day and possibly add a few more steps every day. I have hinted towards getting one, but I don't think its going to happen.

Take care, hope you enjoy your walk in the hallways
 
Appetite for me is very similar- It's there, just less.

My ex-wife (amicable) wants to bring the dog for a visit but I want to wait until I feel more stable. He's always SO excited to see me I don't want to worry about him knocking me over and I don't want her to have to hold him back when he sees me
 
@JulieJF
You seem to be handling things pretty well considering all the challenges. I didn't know which rating I should give you...i thumbs-upped, but I easily could have rated funny because I had a total visual of the water scene and felt I was right there next to you! :heehee:
 
Day 6 post surgery

Today feels as though it passed in a blur.

I went out and walked in the corridor three times today. Very exciting. My building is a lop-sided H, where the apartments are on the "uprights" and the elevator is on the middle cross piece. We live on the shorter of the two side corridors, and our apartment is at the very end. So today, I walked from our apartment to the other end of the corridor and did that three times. Felt good!

All six of the ice bags that the hospital sent me home with sprang leaks today. The bags were very comfortable - they're a cloth-like cover with an inner plastic bag that clamps shut. We couldn't really find any holes or anything, but they all started to trickle out ice-cold water at different times today. Ah well. Glad we didn't buy them. We've made do by cutting out the plastic liner and using regular freezer bags to the ice.

My cat is trying to bring me things to show she cares. When she was much younger and we didn't live in Brooklyn, she was quite a hunter and would regularly bring her kills to the front door. Now, she's older and she is fully an indoor cat. So now, clean, balled socks are the kills she brings to express her love and care. :kitty: She's too funny. The dog is also getting used to me - less freaked out by the crutches.

Today, I was also able to take a really good nap. Usually, I find myself dozing for 15 or 20 minutes, but today I feel deeply asleep for a couple of hours. Also felt good!
 
@Cynthia777
There was one last move in the water scene, as it turns out, which you'll probably appreciate.

As I was getting ready to turn in for the night, I knocked the stupid thing over. I've been keeping half a lemon squeezed into my water ... and lots of ice. I couldn't help laughing as the water bottle hit the floor for the third time in one day. I commented to my husband how fresh and clean our bedroom floor would be. You know, we only clean it with fresh water and lemon juice. Hahahaha.
 
You're doing so good, Julie! I have a 19 year old outdoor (weather permitting) cat, who still is a great hunter! Living in SoCal, I sit outside much of the day. Well, Kiki brings me the loveliest of presents (in her mind), such as half eaten gophers, mice, baby rabbits and sometimes the little gift is something (I haven't figured out what it is) that is just a leftover part that she never eats. It's absolutely horrific! I'm just really happy I'm married because outside clean-up is the man's job! :catbutterfly:
 
@Cynthia777
Is Kiki your new profile picture? You've got to love how cats express their love in dead things and half-eaten parts sometimes!

Our sock hunter, Funcil, is really devoted to my son. She struggles up the ladder of his loft bed with socks in her mouth to leave the fruits of her hunting in his bed. He can just be thankful that she doesn't get access to real hunting these days.

She and my dog have been very attentive of me since I got home from the hospital. It's nice...at least now that I'm more comfortable and no longer nervous the dog is going to knock me over or twist my leg when she jumps up on the bed.
 
@JulieJF
This is a picture of my boy, Milo. I actually have three cats (even though I'm a bit more fond of dogs), two indoor...Joey (Joseph when he's in trouble, which he often is...lol) and Milo and my little outdoor cat Kiki. I had to laugh when I visualized Funcil climbing the ladder to your sons bed to deposit his gift!!!! Animals are so amazing!
 
Day 8:

Yesterday was one week out from surgery. I had my husband take a picture of the incision, which I'll post here later today. Everyone says the incision looks good, and I'll have to believe them. To me it looks big and nasty!

We cured the leaking ice bags by replacing them. Plastic liners don't seem to hold up successfully against ice cubes with edges and corners. Perhaps they would have worked if we had crushed ice, but who really has time for that?

PT was here yesterday. We went over standing exercises, so now I have a series of exercises to do while lying down and a set to do while standing. She said she's going to call the doctor's office on Monday and see about having me released from home visit PT. She indicated that when patients have toe touch restrictions there's really not much more physical therapy can do.

I've got my operated leg much better elevated right now, and I hope that can take down the swelling behind my knee. That swelling arid my knee seems worse than the swelling at the surgical site. Last night, kit was bad enough that I kept fantasizing about sticking a pin in it and popping it.if only it worked tht way! Lymph drainage seems so slow.

My shower bench should arrive today!!!!!!!! I can't wait.

The rain has arrived here this morning. According to the weather app, it promises to rain almost all day with thunder showers later this afternoon. That will turn my dog into a quivering pile of jello.

Aargh - I keep dozing off, making this post take far more time to write than it should. I was having this problem yesterday too. I need to listen to my body, I think, and allow myself to nap.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom