TKR The Knees and Me - staged

@rubyyarn, your gym rat comment is hilarious. I wouldn't call myself a gym rat - but I managed to be sore most days. I was a little slow to realize that just because it doesn't hurt when I'm doing it, doesn't mean I need to be doing it. I've cut back to two days at the senior center pool and one day doing something at home. Muscles need time to repair themselves.
 
I find people who truly enjoy working out amazing! Perhaps in a group, where my deeply buried competitive streak might revive... My favorite 'sport' is walking and I'm working into doing more of that. Might even try a bit of gardening this Spring, but that will be it.

:cheers:
 
Woke up today with the drug haze heavy around me. Percocet + Tylenol kills pain all right, but I really feel drugged up. Today the old knee hurt more than the new one, which tells me that most of my pain is probably in my head.

I really can't do this drug thing anymore. I'll try waiting for the new knee to hurt more than the old one before taking anything. I'm around 2 months out, walking well, going downstairs foot over foot (slowly), etc., so why can't I lose the drugs?

I'll try drying out a bit to see how much I really hurt, then re-evaluate. :blackcloud:
 
Somewhere along the line I got my dates all messed up. With DH's help, I figure I'm in my 8th week for Knee #2. I'm down to 2 Percocets per day and I've dumped the Tylenol for the moment. I'm walking for exercise, doing laps around the house. Today I cooked breakfast--bacon, sausage, grits, eggs and toast. DH usually eats like a bird, but today he ate all of it! Hauling firewood up to the shed must have given him an appetite.

I'm at that point in recovery where there isn't a lot to say. The knees are doing pretty well. I think Knee 1 is aching in sympathy with Knee 2. We can't sleep on our side too well, but we keep trying.

I'm going to have two functional knees! I am still amazed and grateful for this surgery :angel:
 
Haven't had any Percocet since 2:30A this morning. And no pain outside of some stiffness caused by shopping yesterday. Made it all around Wal-Mart and the knees were all "About time you took us out!" They did seem to enjoy the exercise.
 
Yay to having great results from a good outing! I remember how much my knee liked to walk after a couple of months! After all, that's what they are made to do!
 
30 hours since the last Percocet! Did take some Tylenol, though, to get to sleep. I'll be glad when the drug willies are gone. Since both knees ache, I'm blaming it on Percocet withdrawal :dubious: If I never have to take another of those danged things, I'll be sooo happy!
 
30 hours is great! Progress!
 
Today is my 8 week kneeversary and I celebrated by joining the Over Did It Club. Don't know what triggered it, maybe a series of things. I'd hate to think that making muffins would do this...

Maybe it was the 5 laps around the yard. Maybe it was a couple of trips to town. Whatever, I'm cooling it for now :ice:

More than 48 hours since my last Percocet :happydance: I am done, done, DONE with them!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
 
I wanted to “like” your post but I didn’t want to like your ODIC!

Yay for being off the Percocet!:happydance:

A shorter recovery from the ODIC is good progress too!
 
I often 'like' posts because I relate to them in some way, not saying "Good for you! You over did it!" More like "Yeah, been there and done that..."

Frankly, I am rather envious of those that can dump the Percocet in 2 weeks...but we are all different and with different problems. Mine was Percocet.

All in all I have plenty to be thankful for this holiday: I've got my brain back, DH still loves me, and I have two arthritis-free knees :flwrysmile:
 
Yay for getting rid of the Percocet!! I'm glad, well not glad for you, but for me, to hear that someone else's knee that was done around the same time as mine still hurts on occasion. I think mine gets so much stress from my right knee being so bad, that sometimes it wants to let me know it's only a toddler. Happy Thanksgiving to you, just don't over do it :flwrysmile:
 
Yeah for you for dumping the Percocet Ruby! A thankful time for sure. . . .
 
Applause is in order for getting rid of Percocet, finding you still have a brain and having a husband who loves you. Happy happy Thanksgiving!
 
Yay! The knees are feeling better today :happydance: I did keep them iced and elevated all morning and it finally helped. Warning to those who follow: Stay away from the ODIC. A lot of glamourous people have joined, but they all regret it. Take it easy!

So what did I do in conjunction with ice & elevate? Make bread. So far, no ill effects...:fingersx:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom