Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Knees and Me - staged

@rubyyarn
I see you are just a little ahead of me with left knee. Have you had that pain right down the center of your knee? I think the closer I get to seeing my doctor the more afraid I am. Is everyone afraid of adhesions, ROM, slow bending, stiffness?

Are you one of the people that did not do PT? I have felt much better since I have not been there for almost 2 weeks. I also feel anxious about it. I'm wondering how much of my fear is a result of staying home most of the time. I would be doing more, but since I don't work right now, I'm icing and resting a as much as I can.

I see other posts where people talk about not being able to do things. I am ok with my limitations now. What happens if I stay this way? I don't want to disappoint my co-workers. You see where my mind goes?

This is why I look forward to sleep. I appreciate all the experience here.
 
Hiya, @jakeleg!

With knee #1, PT got put off for about 3 weeks. By the time that got lined up, I had found BoneSmart and knew what to avoid. I went mainly to keep the doc happy, but found that the knee was ready for a bit of exercise by then. The therapist kept hands off except for a bit of massage to loosen tight hamstrings. I never had much trouble with ROM. Once I hit 100 I stopped worrying about it.

Your problem seems a bit different...lots of swelling and a slow bend. You might check the thread of Pheebs52. She was a slow bender and came out of it OK.

The fact that you work must be stressful! My only advice would be to do the best you can and baby the knee as much as possible. It WILL gripe if it is unhappy!

It sounds like there are no problems with the implant. As long as that is so, all the twinges, aches and pains should pass. As for your doc, let him say his piece. You just nod and look wise, then do what you think best. He's the mechanic. As long as that implant is properly installed and you don't have an infection or anything, you're good to go. The rest is time. Long, boring time.

:merry christmas:
 
@rubyyarn Did I really write such a defeated post? I actually don't know how I'm doing. I think about how I should be doing. This is my 3rd surgery in less than 2 years and no one has been more surprised by that than me. (Meniscus repair, rotator cuff, TKR) This has taken a toll on my self image and confidence. I've
been by myself through most of this. I am not good at asking for help, but I have had as much as I needed.

For the last 15 years I have spent holidays in the South with my husband's family. Now I am without him and sometimes the memories come in a wave. His last Christmas was in a nursing home. His shoulder was completely out of the socket so the doctor sent him there for "rehab". He was not really a candidate for shoulder replacement and the doctor and I both knew that. Believe it or not, my memories of that time are more good than not. He was the love of my life and he kept his sense of humor to the end.

It has been hard for me to have friends see me this way. I'm going out with my daughter and her fiance today. I think showering, shaving my legs and putting on attractive clothes will be good for me. I will be out about 4 hours. My appetite has not really come back, but I'm going to try to make several trips to the food trough. I am probably tired of my own pantry.

As for my doctor, who knows what he will say. I have seen him a lot and we seem to like each other. He told me I'm a " straight shooter". I have not decided whether to tell him about Bonesmart. I think I'll ask him if he has ever " fired" any of his patients!

I don't know if my swelling is too much for 11 weeks. My last ROM measurement was 110 and then 112 with a little push by me. I think I get overly concerned with the swelling because of returning to work. I work M W F and can work 4 or more hours. My co-workers are very understanding, but they do need me back. I have always been a responsible employee and can't believe I've been gone 3 months.

In summary, I want to say thank you to you and others who give advice as encouragement. I want to believe all will be well some day. Too much time to think about myself has sent me down a negative path lately.

Despite my pessimistic ramblings, I am grateful for Bonesmart. Enjoy your day.
 
@jakeleg, you do worry a bit :dubious: Maybe the problem is too much info? Just realize that you are well within 'normal' recovery-wise. Your doc will probably be pleased with your bend. You have enough to do pretty much what you want. Well, maybe not advanced yoga...!

This is a tough time of year when one you love is no longer with you.

I think you will enjoy going back to work and having like-minded people to talk with. Being alone in your own head can be hard to deal with :flwrysmile:
 
@rubyyarn. You're right. It can be information overload for a worrier like me. When you have time, read my latest Jakeleg post. Quite a way to start the day!
 
Had a checkup today and came in here to celebrate! The PA said both knees were doing extremely well! They want me to get an X-ray in the fall...then I probably won't have to come back for 2-3 YEARS! Hooray!

So it can be done. All the pain, drugs, and sleepless nights resolve in time. And I have two knees that work perfectly. For the first time in 10 years my knees don't hurt.

Thank you, BoneSmart, for showing me how to get well again. :roseshwr:
 
Wow, and in less than a year! You go, girl!!!
:wowspring:
 
Yippee! That's what we all like to hear!
 
Bless all of you! I pray that those of you that still have issues will see improvement soon :friends:
 
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Zip-A-Dee-A
My oh my, what a wonderful day!
Great news, rubyyarn! Couldn't happen to a nicer person. :yes!::wowspring::flwrysmile:
 
After all this time I have an issue and a question. About a week ago I turned over in the bed (!) and the inside of my 8 month knee went yannkkkOW and I saw stars. There is no swelling that I can see, and I walk without pain for most part, but at least once a day I move wrong and...OW! I think it is getting better, slowly.

My question is, what is in there that I could hurt by turning over in bed? BTW, I recently got some new walking shoes from the orthopedic shoe place. Could they affect my knee and is this a short-term problem?

Many thanks to whoever can advise me.
 
I’m sorry you’re having problems with your knee. My 8 month old knee occasionally gives me an ache or two. Hopefully you just turned some way that it didn’t like. They really can be temperamental sometimes. :beg:
 
I'm pretty sure...at least I hope that's all it is. I've just got used to it working well...don't need problems :scaredycat:
 
There’s a spot on the inside of my 10 month old left knee that doesn’t like when I turn over in bed. At five months I turned over and it hurt enough to make me yelp and took two days to settle down. Now it just gives me a sharp warning when I turn over, a “I wish you wouldn’t do that” pain. Something about the movement doesn’t sit right. I don’t know what it is, exactly, but suspect as I build up my leg muscles it will become less of an issue. Right now I’m doing some pool work —walking in deeper water, aquacise— and I think it’s helping.
 
Susie, thank you for the encouragement. I guess healing isn't quite finished in that area. I am surprised, though, that it is the 8 month knee rather than the 5 momth knee that is giving me grief. Hope it all settles down soon :bored:
 
As far as new orthotic shoes, I know it can take a while for your whole body to become acquainted with the new position the shoes/orthotics put your body in. When I began wearing Vionic I only wore them an hour or two until my body got used to a new alignment because it affected my knees and my back.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom