Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Knees and Me - staged

What do you make? I Know very little about a loom. You use yarn with it?
 
I just learned to weave about a year ago. On the little loom, the rigid heddle, I've made dish yowels using that heavy cotton yarn you get at Wal-Mart. I've also made wool scarves out of knitting yarn.

The floor loom is a new acquisition, so I've only done one project...the cotton/linen dishtowel I wrap around my ice bags. That yarn is much thinner, more like thread.
 
That's so cool, ruby yarn! I can't make anything. If we revert to a tech-less society, I'll be useless. Your dish towels, though, will be in demand!
 
Going into Week 10 with Knee #2. I think I have graduated from good days/bad days to good days/less good days. I'll take it :yes:

I think I have been more impatient with this knee, barely acknowledging one milestone before salivating for the next. To those that follow...calm down! Deal with what is. Staging will suck you dry so be ready for that. Recovery will take every bit as long for the second knee as the first. It is a knee replacement, after all. Go with the flow.

Now before I get really sappy...g'night all :loveshwr:
 
10th week kneeversary. Today got off to a cheery start when the cat decided to walk all the way up my leg to bid me good morning. She paused on my knee, so I tried to tip her off. She wouldn't tip, she just balanced there like a lumberjack on a rolling log. When I fussed,she moved on. Mama's awake. Mission accomplished.

With all the tossing I do at night, I think I over do it more then than during the day. Anyway, today was pretty achy. This evening we got some rain...maybe that's why things were cranky in Kneeville. In spite of that, I got a few things done between icings.
 
When you tried to rock your cat off your knee I thought you were going to say she dug her claws in to stay put!
:yikes: So glad she didn’t!!!
 
What ROM have you achieved with both of your knees? Swelling is my biggest issue. Week 12 for 2nd knee and only barely 90 degrees. First knee is 95 at 6 months.

Can you lay on your side at night? I know how touchy it is to find an o.k.spot, even if it is for 2 hours.

I can totally relate to being impatient with the 2nd knee. Our time frame was the same, and it seems we have been at this for a very long time------and we have, almost 6 month! :tiredwheel:
 
@kayow11, my ROM never gave me trouble (yeah, I'm one of those...) First, I didn't do PT about 3 weeks. I spent most of that time icing and elevating. I was at 90 when I started PT and 12? when I finished. My surgeon never sèemed worried about my numbers. I had already read Bone Smart so I never worried either.

We are all different. I have good ROM, but it took me forever to get off of the Percocet.

I keep trying to sleep on my side, but that lasts about 3 minutes. So I still do the Rotisserie Chicken routine and get maybe 1-2 hours of sleep at a time. :catdance: I just go with it and nap during the day if necessary. Fortunatelly, I am retired.

Yeah, we've been at this a while...and we still have a ways to go.

Take care!
 
For the last couple of days the knees have felt almost normal :happydance:

Nights are still a problem, though. Left side, right side, on the back. Sit up, think lovely thoughts. Go to the bathroom, rinse and repeat. All that activity has both knees aching by morning. But during the day all is well.

Looks like I'm getting to the point where I'll post less and less 'cause there isn't much more to say. I've had two knees done and survived. My recovery seems middle of the road normal and for that I am grateful. Overall this has been an enlightening experience.

God bless all here and all those to come :flwrysmile:
 
It is wonderful to hear that you are getting back to normal. Your night's will be getting better, too.
 
I am happy for you Rubyyarn. I am used to being the last few remaining in the knee pack, since I started this journey.
Mind you, this is not normal for me since I am a go getter, but I don't have control over how this has gone.
Hopefully in several months, I will be able to say the same.
So I will continue to post periodically on my situation.
 
Looks like I'm getting to the point where I'll post less and less 'cause there isn't much more to say. I've had two knees done and survived. My recovery seems middle of the road normal and for that I am grateful. Overall this has been an enlightening experience.
It's good to read that you feel about ready to move on, back into your normal life.

That's what we hope will happen to everyone. We help you through the bad patch and then you have your normal life back again.
 
@kayow11, it can be frustrating being tied down by a health problem, especially if you are used to getting over it and getting on with it. When I came in, I followed some people who were about a month ahead of me. They were great with the support and I could see all the good things ahead waiting for me. We had some fun in spite of the knees.

@Celle is right. We come to BoneSmart because we are in pain, ignorant, and frightened. We go away healed. Some sooner, some later.

And if your healing is slow, documentation of the bits of progress you are making can provide comfort to those that follow that might be in the same situation. You will get there. I know you will.

:thumb:
 
Good to hear you are coming along, and yes, this experience certainly has been enlightening! Best wishes!
 
Tuesday was the 11th kneeversary for Knee #2. There were times I thought I'd never get here. At least nothing out of the ordinary happened.

This knee is a bit crankier than the other,probably because that is the side I like to sleep on. But during the day...she's good to go. I'm beginning to retire some of the ice bags, since I only use one or two per day. That is progress, I think :happydance:
 
Hey there, @rubyyarn . I have not posted for a while. You and I are twins in the knee business (LTKR June 14, RTKR September 27).

My pain is much diminished. I do have pain when working hard on my right knee, but it is at 0 degrees and 124 degrees now.

The stiffness is still very annoying and gets intense if I stand in one place very long. Sitting and waking and bicycling are much easier.

I am taking a break from PT as he is pushing me too hard for strengthening. I just don't feel quite ready for that. I will do some at home and have increased the resistance on my exercise bike. I go back in 3 weeks, maybe!

I am finally sleeping through the night and not having pain. I am stiff upon waking, but that loosens up after walking a bit.

I am getting out a lot more and going places. The socialization is long overdue!

My biggest problem is my right hip. Lots of aching in my hip and low back. They X-rayed my hip and said i have no arthritis (hurray!!!) so it is either bursitis or soft tissue strain from adjusting to the new knee. I am taking Alieve for it along with my Tylenol although I had hoped to not need NSAIDs. If it is not better in Feb they will look closer at it. I am also going to the chiropractor regularly.

So glad to hear you are doing so well and starting to sleep. Life got a LOT BETTER when I started sleeping!

Keep up the good the good work!!!!
 
Hiya, @Iloved3!

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. That stiffness can be a bear! I find that when both are stiff, it means that rain is on the way. I'll take the stiffness over the sleepless nights any day :yes:

Looks like we've both survived to the 3 month mark on the newest knee. That's a good thing :happydance:
 
As time goes on you'll lose those weather forecasting knees!

Stiffness was there last thing I complained about. It goes away eventually. But, I still rather walk then stand still.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom