Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

I also had a hip replacement on my tkr side. My op was in march 2014, and I've also been left with a dent in my hip, tho I didn't go through the nightmare scenerio that you did @dianehelen . I only had the one op. I thought I recovered fairly well at the time, but I fell on my hip 6 months after the op and have developed painful bursitis in the hip area. I've also learned my glutes on that side are very weak and are causing me problems.

@Floridagal I am definitely finding that this recovery is hindered by my thr on the same side as my operated knee. I haven't ever been able to lie on that side either. My hip has also become more painful and sensitive following my tkr. I had to laugh when you wrote about everything falling into place when the knee is healed. That hope is part of the reason I decided to have the op. My left side was complete off balance due to walking bowlegged for so many years. I sincerely hope your hip doesn't cause you any increasing problems during your recovery.
 
My op was in march 2014, and I've also been left with a dent in my hip, t

Wow our left hips were done the same week, year , just a few days apart. And ughhh for the thr affecting your tkr recovery, that's a big concern of mine. At least I didnt have a fall on my hip. How are you feeling now from the tkr, a few months out? Btw, my "dent" is like a cavern :-( and still painful 2 years out.
 
I just watched a You Tube video of a TKR. Ya, I'm a glutton for punishment - but now I can understand where these strange pains are coming from. It is amazing that we heal as fast as we do! BTW my stomach feels better and I am now drinking Kefir. I want to get those good bugs back in my stomach and it was recommended by the main dietician at the hospital. Tonight I walked out to the mailbox and picked up my mail. It's not a long walk but an accomplishment.
 
The before & after photos my surgeon took during the procedure and gave me the next day left me light headed!
LOL!

:scare:
 
@Suz my OS was so excited, he said he couldn't wait until he could show me pictures...he said my knee was beautiful...I take his word for it, I can wait, lol
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
@Floridagal another step towards independence, getting your own mail! I'm so glad you found something help our with that nausea. Once you start to eat better, your strength will come back!
 
@Floridagal I also watched those vidios on YouTube watched it 4 years ago with my 1st and again with this one they have altered a bit over the years this being a bit more graphics I was amazed by it, only wish my hubby would watch it as well to see what we go through etc hope you continue to improve

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I still haven't had the courage to watch a video of a TKR. I want everyone else to though, just to educate them!
 
I watched one a few months ago. I wanted to see what I was going to go through. Now, when in pain, I can understand why!
 
I'm very tempted now that it's all over with. Maybe not just before bedtime. Have enough trouble getting to sleep as it is.
 
*Ya'll* go right ahead with your brave selves!! I remember to well the following words I read here in the forum early on by one of our Super Moderators, referee54:

One reason that you are tired is that you have endured a major surgical assault on your body. Your knee was cut open; two bones were sawed off; an impalnt was possibly pounded into place and glued, (they were not gentle!), and then you were finally closed back up with steri-strips, sutures, or staples.

All I remember thinking after reading that was: NO I DIDN'T & NO IT WASN'T LOL!! Needless to say I didn't want to see. But that was just wimpy me!!

:heehee::rotfl::heehee::rotfl::heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just returned from seeing the OS with all my questions answered. He was very good and patient and said everything looked great and I was doing great. He did redo the patella. He pretty much left time-lines up to me. I can drive when I feel capable, swim when the scabs are all gone, golf when I feel ready to walk on uneven ground. He did encourage me to keep using the cane for awhile. He reminded me I am in the early stage of healing. He said that those who are doing very well are those who trip and fall and get into trouble. I think I fall (pun intended) in that category. I tend to rush things. This afternoon I go to my first out-patient PT. It is a full day especially after only two hours of sleep. I may try that Tylenol PM again tonight. I even watched shows on Math and Algorithms to put me to sleep but it didn't work. It's not that I am hurting that bad. My legs seem all uptight and twitchy. I couldn't lie still. I slept from 3:30 to 5:30. A strange question - Lately I've noticed that food isn't tasting that good and I've been noticing strange smells. Have any of you experienced this? I am wondering if it has to do with the anesthesia or is it my imagination.
 
Food dose tend to loose it's intreste expesaly in the early days I think it could be the anesthetic, as for smells I have a very sensitive nose
What questions did you ask your OS I have my six week check on Thursday and my OS is a man of few words.glad yours went well.

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Dawni, I have a sensitive nose too. It's not always a blessing.

I made a list of questions and he answered most before I asked. Some of the things I wondered about: Did you resurface the patella? (yes); Should I stop taking the two aspirins? (yes, take one); What about other meds? (I can take an anti-inflammatory); Can I massage the scar? (not until the scabs fall off); Can I swim? (not until the scabs are gone); Drive? Golf? (when you feel you are ready); Any precautions? (DON'T FALL). He talked about the numbness and told me the timeline for healing which I knew because of BS. In general he was very encouraging of my progress.
 
That's awesome Amy Jo-!! I'm a month ahead of you in my TKR and would love to get that report from my OS. Hopefully soon! Thanks for the inspiration~!!
 
That's a really great report from your OS Amy Jo. You are doing very well, I'm pleased for you. I think medications can sometimes make food taste different, and we had lots in hospital didn't we. I hope your sleep improves soon, it makes all the difference.
Tabby xxx
 
Wonderful wonderful. You are just amazing. So happy for you. Now if you can just get some appetite going, you'll be on a roll!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom