Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

All good advice! During the daytime, don't wait too long - remember that it's going to take you longer than usual to get to the bathroom.
 
Oh, Suz, I can relate. Happened to me twice while trying to get up from the sofa, which is too low. I felt the urge but, as you said, it takes a lot of power to get up and when I finally did my bladder just let go. It was mortifying to me even though I live alone.
 
I guess im lucky in one wierd respect with this. IF I live thru surgery, dont kill anyone in the hospital, and make it home. My husband and I are are on opposite sleep schedules. Since he retired about a year ago from a night shift retirement "bridge " job (till we were medicare eligible), his sleep patterns have shifted. So I go to bed 11ish, but he doesn't come to bed till 4 or 5 am. If i would have to go between 11 and 5, he would be awake and just come help me. If im not sleeping great, which im coming to accept. I would get up at 5 and start my day of recovering.oh the joys I have to look forward to.

@Floridagal Amy Jo, how was your night? Hope today is an improving day for you.
 
Yeah - hubby gets annoyed at the amount of stops I need to make on trips. Now that he has a similar problem, he's not quite as vocal about it! Sometimes it just hits very suddenly. My son has gotten to where he always asks if I need the bathroom before he gets in the shower. I now know to ALWAYS take the opportunity!
 
Wow, this is a problem I have not had! I am grateful but I have noticed that when you are sitting there you don't have the urgency you have when you stand. I have decided that I will probably be sleeping better every other night. Last night was decent - I got about six hours. My boyfriend and I went to Sonny's a local BBQ place and I had roasted chicken. Oh, was it good! Seems stuff at home isn't that good because I've stocked up on all the anti-nausea food - crackers, jello, Gatoraide, ginger ale, soup. I am also beginning to get my weight back. It would be OK if the weight stayed away. Soon (this weekend) I'll be driving and able to go to the store for myself. Everyday I attempt a new project. Yesterday it was change my bed. Today it is vacuum. It has been 25 days since the dog hair has been swept up! I'm glad I had my surgery on June 1. I always know how many days out I am. :)
 
WOW once again Amy Jo YOU are my HERO! 25 days out, and dining out (btw we LOVE Sonnys) driving, shopping , vacuuming? WOW WOW WOW. I want to be YOU when I have my surgery. But I doubt that will be the case
 
That's great Amy Jo, I think it's kind of funny that now we get excited about vacuuming, or moping our floors or cooking, except for cooking which I love, I never looked forward to housework before, lol
 
I'm not quite up to real cooking yet. I love trying new recipes but not yet. I am keeping housework to the absolute minimum. No one cares anyway except me.

@dianehelen as we are often reminded - Every knee is different. Keeping hoping for the best. I am well aware that things can turn around in an instant with my knee. I don't want to be overconfident.

I just learned that my brother might have to have two TKR. This was the brother that helped me. Maybe I'll be able to return the favor and help him in the future but he has a caring wife to help. The OS said that he has to try other options before Medicare will cover it. I didn't know that. He got two cortisone shots yesterday. Bad knees must run in the family.
 
try other options before Medicare will cover

Huh I never heard that. Maybe it has to do with how bad your xrays are. Mine was bone on bone. Hope this doesnt become an issue. My OS (All 4 that I saw over my 6 months quest) never mentioned that being an issue. Who told him that, the actual OS dr, curious?
 
Nope, but then I already had arthroscopic surgery and the shot on that knee. It was not mentioned when I had my hip done but then I had a shot before I had the hip replaced. Things are always changing in legislation or maybe my brother's doctor is not informed correctly. Who knows.
 
@dianehelen If you are scheduled for TKR your OS office have already checked your insurance for coverage so don't get worried about that. This is one thing the hospitals and doctors are very careful to do before you are scheduled.

One last work about 'potty' incidents. I usually never get up at night but I found myself after only two hours during the day standing up to walk to the bathroom all of 5 steps away and not making it there. It happened to me often in the beginning. It turned out to be a side effect of the muscle relaxer I was taking. Once I stopped that med, problem gone.

Amy Jo I'm glad that you are doing so well. You'll be back to all your activities soon. It seems like recovery just starts to move along a little faster and faster as time goes by.
 
Yet another reason why this forum rocks, someone addressing the potty issue with this recovery. Totally relate and it's great that it's out there so people coming behind us know ahead of time. Happy Saturday


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Floridagal I drove for the first time yesterday took hubby with me only did a 20 minute drive all was ok, I had my left knee done and have a manual car my knee felt sort of heavy not sure why, but all was fine


LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Well dear friends, tomorrow I might be elected as the president of the "did too much club." My boyfriend drove me to a church parking lot where I drove around till we were both comfortable with my driving and then I drove about ten miles to a burger joint where we had lunch. Next he drove us on an outing to check out the Suwannee River and the Santa Fe River. Back home we went to Walgreens and the grocery story. In the grocery store I rode an electric cart whose battery was dying which was good because I have a hard time handling those things. When we got back home four hours had gone by and I was tired. Now came the icing, a pizza and a movie on the tellie. I predict that I will sleep tonight. It was a good day. I did not feel like an invalid - though tomorrow I might. :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom