TKR The journey continues

I'll second that

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I agree with you that we should spend our money on keeping healthy and not on a nursing home. I have no children to take care of me either, so it's up to me to keep me healthy.

From what I've heard, you have to be careful when you start back driving. If your OS hasn't released you to drive, your insurance might not cover you. Be sure and check that out. Being as it's your right knee, as is mine, we might need to wait a little while longer. I will definitely check with my insurance company.
 
Amy Jo..I love following your thread...I want to be you when I grow up, except for the boyfriend, I've been married for 41 years and my husband is a keeper. Keep up the good work. I totally agree with you. I think if you you are in good physical shape it really helps, my idea of excercising is walking to the kitchen to get a glass of wine, therefore I feel like a semi has run me over:loveshwr:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
Amy Jo..I love following your thread...I want to be you when I grow up, except for the boyfriend, I've been married for 41 years......my idea of excercising is walking to the kitchen to get a glass of wine, therefore I feel like a semi has run me over:loveshwr:

Haha are we sisters from another mother. I am with my dear husband 43 years, married 38 and WINE is my other best friend. Also exercise, not such a good friend. But you seem to be doing well anyway. Oh, and you married young... :-)
 
Lesson learned: Last night I took two Tylenol PM's and slept better BUT today I ONLY want to sleep. This sleeping thing is sure a challenge.

I am so pleased to hear of your happy marriages. I married at 46 to a man who was 72. He was a real gem and we had 15 years of happy marriage before he died. One of the complications before he died was an infection in his replaced knee. He had both of them replaced at different times. I sure have an appreciate now of what he went through. He was 88 when he died.

I like wine too and will be happy when I can have a glass with my pizza!
 
I was 19 also-I guess we got married young in those days...lol. We'll hit 41 years in September. I think we may all be sisters from another mother, except I'm the 'black sheep'. I don't like alcohol except to cook with in some recipes! :rotfl: I can only hope I'm half as active as you have been while in my 60s, Amy Jo! You've had so many good times and memories, and still have so many more ahead.
 
Amy Jo, when you are healed, there will be no stopping you! As others have said, your attitude is really good and probably adds to the successful outcome you're having. @Floridagal, did the Tylenol PM control your pain last night? I'm afraid to try just that. I've been doing 10mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours every night along with icing part of the time. Give that boyfriend a hug from all us alone women on here and tell him we appreciate how good he is to you!
 
Wow @Floridagal im glad you had those 15 great years. Was his death related to the infection?

The tylenol pm are still affecting you during the day today. They hardly affect me at night. I guess I have a high tolerance to medications. I wonder how that will affect me for pain control when I have my surgery

I married at 28 , I was a hippie child of the 60's and even while dating for my husband for 5 years, we both had busy external lifes and wild oats to sow ;-)

So, what kind of wine do you like @Floridagal and @uva55 ? I'm a Pino Grigio gal myself :)
 
I'm glad I'm mostly sleeping at night now-those sleeping aids work too well on me! I take them and wake 12 hours or more later, and then can't seem to really wake all the rest of the day. They keep me in a fog for hours after. I don't know what it is about my body, but it hates medicine and has crazy reactions. My husband says I'd make a terrible drug addict.....:heehee:
 
@dianehelen I like Pinot Grigio, when I drink a white, but I drink reds most of the time, Pinot Noir, Cabernet...I can't wait until I can enjoy a glass again!
 
I still am not sleeping well. I wake up about an hour before it is time to take a pill. I usually get up and ice the knee. Sometimes I move to the living room couch. I'd rather not take the Tylenol PM because it made me so sleepy during the day.

Diane, you asked about my husband's infection. Remember he was 88. He had an operation to "clean out the infection" in his knee. Afterwards he had a slight stroke in the recovery room making it difficult to swallow. The doctor said nothing by mouth. Some nurse gave him pills with water and he ended up with aspiration pneumonia. He already had congestive heart failure so it was all down hill from there. He had been struggling for the past year or more so I don't blame anyone. He had a peaceful death and I was with him at the end. I don't want people to worry about a knee infection causing their death! It was a series of events.

Yes, I am very grateful for all the blessings I've had in my life. When I can't go to sleep I try to think of them and be happy. BTW Chardonnay with an oaky flavor is my favorite wine but I like them all.
 
Guess what! Nausea came back to day and I really feel wimpy. Maybe I am official member of the "do too much club." I am hanging out and doing nothing but resting and icing.
 
I'm so sorry Amy jo. I hear the words infection & joint replacement and my skin just crawls recalling the year long horror I dealt with. It's one of my biggest fears approaching this. I'm happy you had some lovely years together.

Are you waking up from pain or the anxiety of this whole ordeal.

And chardonnay works for me too :) . I'll have some for you to this evening

Now go do nothing, but rest, ice, elevate, medicate
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Amy Jo, try some peppermint candies for your nausea. They help me some. I keep some in my nest and by my bed just in case. They might help you, too.
 
Eating saltine crackers, and trying breathing 4-7-8 and generally resting. I slept better last night. My knee is not hurting that much. I am cutting back on the tramadol hoping that will help my stomach. Tomorrow I see the OS and my favorite PT.
 
Im glad you are resting better. The 4-7-8 breathing is my go to technique for many things. Seems you are still making amazing progress.

I have a question for you, I see you had your hip replacement on the same side. Are you finding that giving you any challenges or discomfort in trying to recover/heal your knee on the same side. When I try to do some of the pre op exercises, my fake hip feels some, not really pain, but like stiffness/discomfort. Curious if that is something you are dealing with or aware of.
 
Diane, for a long time I was very uncomfortable lying on my right hip. Just recently (six years since surgery) I am able to do it. I have noticed some increased soreness on the right side lately. And, of course, my right low back is a problem. The stiffness in my RTKR and its problems keep me from focusing on much else. I am hoping that once the knee is heeled everything else will fall in place.
 
uncomfortable lying on my right hip


huh, thanks for that info. I cant lay on my left side, and probably never will from the deep indent, thick with scar tissue from the hip surgeries(initial replacement, 3 infection surgeries, and 8 months of wound vac and treatment) .. but I do feel some stiffness there, which of course scares the you know what outta me.. but maybe its common, and im just being my over the top worry wart self..
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom