• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR The journey continues

sheliac

graduate
Country
United States United States
I love that you can kneel! I got on the floor the other day and really enjoyed stretching/lying on my yoga mat. Unfortunately, I didn't plan well for how to get UP. I ended up doing a 3--legged crawl to the couch. I just hope the neighbors weren't peeking in the window! :)

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I could picture myself stuck on the floor like a turtle on its back! :heehee:
I need to try getting up from the floor but I have to wait until my daughter is here. I wouldn't want to have to call 911 to pick me up off the floor!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think that getting up off the floor is one of the things a PT should show you.
While we may not do it very often, it is one of the necessary activities of daily life.

Last year, while my husband was away, I had a major leak in the kitchen. To turn off the main water supply, I had to go out onto our driveway, lie down on my stomach, and reach down into a hole, to turn off the mains supply valve. Imagine me, face down, trying to do that by torchlight, at 3 in the morning! :yikes:
It isn't elegant (more like an elephant getting to its feet backwards) but at least I could get up off the ground again.

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Amy Jo, I'm so happy that you've had a good recovery and are getting back to doing all the enjoyable things you planned. I think it must make a difference that you were in good shape before the surgery. You've been like a ray of sunshine on this forum, and have cheered me up and made me laugh many times, and they say that's the best medicine. Please don't disappear fron BoneSmart altogether, we will miss you!
All the best,
Tabby xxx

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It's awful! :yikes: I hate getting up off the ground. In the past (pre-TKR) I lived to sit on the floor and exercise on the floor, not anymore. Last week I ended up on my bottom at the beach, I was sooooo happy few people were around to view how I got up and I did just sit there for a good long while trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this feat. I thought I could do a crab crawl into a standing position, but it didn't work at all. Although, this has helped me around the house, nothing is stored under anything. There's nothing under the bed, the sofa, chair etc.

Dawni

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
I can't get up from the floor at all I could just about do it befor with just the one TKR but now I have had the other one don as well it scares the he'll out of me to do that, and I don't squat if I need to get somthing of the flour I just bend over, it's funny how we adapte our ways,

LTKR 11 May 2016

sistersinhim

Country
I recently got up off the floor and used the non-surgical leg to protect the new knee. It was really scary, but possible. I won't be making a habit of it.

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
I'm really afraid I will never be able to get in and out of the bath ever again, it's been quite a palaver since my right knee flared up last October, and not possible at all since the surgery. And all I want is a nice long soak for my aching joints :bawl:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Floridagal

graduate
Country
Sorry! Maybe if you win the lottery you can buy one of those walk-in tubs. Do they even have a lottery in Wales?

sistersinhim

Country
@Tabbycat, I know what you mean about not being able to get in a tub. I haven't been able to for years. Well...I could get in, just couldn't get back out! One day we will be able to lay back in a wonderful bubble bath!

TML

senior
Country
Amy Jo, congrats on your recovery and thanks for supporting me so much in my left knee's recovery. Your original surgery date was the same as mine until they moved it up. Now I'm facing my right TKR October 18. I hope you won't need the other knee done; but, if you do, we're all here for you! :wave:

OP
OP
F

Floridagal

graduate
Country
Thanks, TML, I remember us signing up about the same time. I was so happy to have mine moved up three weeks! I will be looking for you and wishing you well after the second knee is done. I'm hoping my Leftie will behave itself and I won't have to follow in your footsteps.

dianehelen

supremo
Country
walk-in tubs.
I can attest to the fact that they are absolutely lovely and well worth every cent. When we renovated our beach house to add a master suite I was able to create my dream bathroom, that includes a wonderful jaccuzi walk in tub. It's a wonderful haven that I simply open a door, walk in, sit down, close&seal the door, and let the tub fill and just take me away in an incredible state of bliss. I have a wireless speaker in there that I crank up my tunes, have a giant unbreakable glass of wine and just let the hot swirling water erase every pain and ache to offer me an hour or so of complete painfree joy & peace.

I cant wait to get the all clear, to be able to get in there again. Maybe next week :happydance:

OP
OP
F

Floridagal

graduate
Country
Sounds wonderful! That first experience post TKR will be exceptionally heavenly. I have a mental picture of you with bubbles surrounding you and that extra large glass of wine. Perfect.

dianehelen

supremo
Country
bubbles surrounding you and that extra large glass of wine
Well small correction to your image, cant use bubble stuff in that tub, it can harm the mechanisms. But I spa safe use lavender & camomile bath crystals, which are wonderful & relaxing.

greatlakes

graduate
Country
I've never been a bath taker, but your description @dianehelen tempts me! I had a barrier free shower built when moving in, and that suits me fine. But I do build in fifteen minutes for the hot tub whenever I go swimming at the community pool on the mainland, or at the hotel at which I usually stay, and that hot tub is bliss!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Leec
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom