Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

@Floridagal I am 7 weeks tomorrow where dose that time go my recovery is somewhat like yours and I feel just like you do, but my last TKR nearly 5 years ago was a very tough road I was so pleased that this time around its not realy been though at all, I think it's encourageing to hear story's like ours and people are pleased to hear them, keep going x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Keep posting Amy Jo for as long as you want, we won't be discouraged, we'll be happy for you.
Tabby xxx
 
@Floridagal please do not stop posting, we all want to celebrate those that are doing well and encourage those that are finding it a little more challenging. When I read your updates I'm very happy for you and it motivates me. I always enjoy it when you share your victories :flwrysmile:
 
I wonder if I should continue with my updates. I don't want others to read this and be discouraged. You are all my heroes. I cherish the support I have received here.

Of COURSE you should Amy Jo! You give people hope that they too will be mobile and on the go again! Honey- you've got too many fans around here to not share your recovery journey! Everyone loves reading about your life and you wouldn't want to disappoint us now would you?

You shouldn't feel guilty because you are doing well. It gives much needed hope here!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's important that everyone post here so that there is a balance of stories of both those that have problems and those who are doing great. It helps those going into surgery for the first time see that a quick recovery is possible. I've had a terrible time with my original time and a quick and fairly easy recovery after my revision. I would never had been able to have the revision unless I knew that a good recovery is possible. You are helping a lot of people.
 
I cant agree more. Having had SUCH a disastrous time with my hip, I need to keep reading encouraging journies to remind me that hopefully my knee will be less horror

When I see posts from @Floridagal and @sistersinhim and @uva55 and @Suz and @newlybionic and @Happydale and others, I know recovery can be challenging but also exciting to move towards a life of increased mobility instead of decreased

I cheer when I see these women doing so well , dont stop, ever :)
 
Oh no, please let us know all your successes. It encourages us. Everyone's knee is different and every recovery is different. Those facing this surgery need to know that smooth recoveries are possible!
 
Ok, the PT worked me hard today. He vigorously massaged the scar and did quite a bit of joint mobilization as well as loosening up the knee cap. He was amazed that my flexion was better than 130 and my extension is now -3. He told me I could walk OUTSIDE without a cane. He did warn me that I have a slight limp with or without the cane. He said I had it before surgery and it might be hard to eliminate. I don't think I am walking with a limp but then I don't see myself. He encouraged me to walk in front of a mirror or look at myself in store windows as I walk. I have to make sure I extend the knee. All in all it was a very positive session but I am bushed (U.S. for very tired.) :) I'll know tomorrow if I did too much. It was great driving myself to PT. Thank you for encouraging me to keep reporting.
 
Why are you still going to pt when you're doing so well? You don't need them. You're active and independent enough to do it on your own. I pray after your vigorous workout that you don't suffer pain and swelling.
 
@sistersinhim I shouldn't be asking because obviously I'm awake also, but what are you doing up???

@Floridagal my problem is, I didn't really bed the knee to walk prior to surgery, due to pain, so I have to make a mental note to bend now. Wow... Your flexion and extension are amazing, good to you!!!
 
Well, it looks like the two of us are up and about in the middle of the night! I woke up on my side and was so excited I wanted to share the good news! It's time for my mid-night pill anyway. My night has been so much better than I thought it would have been after my busy day yesterday. I'm even sitting in my recliner with my foot rest down and my knee bent! We're on the way to really healing!
 
Yes, please keep writing about your recovery, AmyJo. We need good stories, to balance the ones from people who are still having problems.

I still used a walking stick (cane) out of doors for quite a long time, even when I didn't really need it. It was a precaution on days when the pavement might be slippery and it served as a warning for impatient people and rushing dogs, to keep away. :dogwalk:

When you're walking, try to extend your back leg fully as you push off, like the picture below. It can also help if you try to extend your stride and take bigger steps.
[Bonesmart.org] The journey continues
 
Thanks @Celle for the diagram. I try to do this but this mornings walk was a disaster toward the end since the knee started bothering me and walking more stiff legged was more comfortable. Tomorrow it will be better. Yes, I am still using the cane outside. I don't feel confident enough outside without it yet. I totally agree that it tells people and dogs to keep their distance. When I am standing to brush my teeth, do dishes, etc. I try to straighten the leg and put weight on it. I have been favoring it for years.

@sistersinhim I am sure PT feels that my improvement is all due to THEIR efforts. :heehee: The PT thinks I need to build up that right side of mine. It never got back to full strength after my RTH. I know he is right. I will keep going since PT is free and I have to pay $40 a session with the personal trainer! I do have faith that this PT knows what he is talking about.
 
YAY - so good! I also like to read your posts and keep up with how you are doing. I've thought the same thing though, about not posting, but if it can help someone else contemplating this surgery, especially the out patient version, then I would be happy to keep posting. I can't compare to let them know which might be easier, because I haven't had the hospital version of knee surgery, but I can tell them I felt much better being at home immediately, even with the extra trouble of having to get different pain meds taking more time. I have had hospital stays with other types of surgery, and I just did not like it. So I vote for you to keep posting too!
 
Thanks @Celle for the diagram. I try to do this but this mornings walk was a disaster toward the end since the knee started bothering me and walking more stiff legged was more comfortable. Tomorrow it will be better. Yes, I am still using the cane outside. I don't feel confident enough outside without it yet. I totally agree that it tells people and dogs to keep their distance. When I am standing to brush my teeth, do dishes, etc. I try to straighten the leg and put weight on it. I have been favoring it for years.

@sistersinhim I am sure PT feels that my improvement is all due to THEIR efforts. :heehee: The PT thinks I need to build up that right side of mine. It never got back to full strength after my RTH. I know he is right. I will keep going since PT is free and I have to pay $40 a session with the personal trainer! I do have faith that this PT knows what he is talking about.

I've been following your recovery. I think (if I remember correctly) that we might have the same doctor. I can empathize with the walking thing. I'm getting more and more stiff legged when I walk. If I forget and walk normally I get something that feels like a nail gun being shot into my knee. I'll probably have a problem walking the right way after I get my surgery. I'm sick of walking like a duck.:)

Hey everyone, I have a question that I've not seen discussed here yet. How do you manage socks and/or shoes after surgery? I usually wear New Balance and I like socks with them. I'm sure that dress shoes, slides and thongs are not recommended. I do have slippers but don't like to wear them without socks (sweaty feet). Of all the things to worry about I guess this is far from the most important. Am I going to have to get my husband to put my socks on? :wink:
 
Having trust in your therapists is important. I certainly do understand your reason for going now. I don't have the benefits for free PT. I went after my shoulder repair because that was a new experience for me. But, after about 4 visits I found that I could do the same things at home and would save myself the copay for every visit to them.
How are you feeling today after your rough workout yesterday?
 
PT may have no copay but there is a limit each year as to how many sessions you can have in most plans including Medicare. So you can use up your allotment and not be able to use it for any other injuries/surgeries if God forbid something would happen.
 
The PT told me that if a new condition came up the doctor could request more PT visits. I am just going to hope that nothing else happens. I read on the internet that 25% of TKRs fall but didn't say when. I wonder if that is in the hospital. I'm a little paranoid about falling.

I'm doing good today. I drove myself to the grocery store and got gas on the way just like a normal person. I decided that instead of doing my PT exercises I would do "functional exercises" this morning like twice going up the flight of stairs from my garage carrying bags of groceries and also unloading the dish washer. In the grocery story I used the regular cart which is similar to a walker and practiced extending my knee when I walked. In the early '80's I was an occupational therapist and we believed in functional exercise. In my case today it is just a fancy excuse for not doing the PT exercises. I'll do them this afternoon. I am super eager to meet with my reading group this evening. I am getting a ride because I know how I tire I am in the evening and they sometimes don't break up until after 10:00. I've been with them for many years and they are all dear friends.

@FlaGranny I wore a pair of shoes that were a little too big for me for the first two weeks and was able to just slip my foot into them. I also have a long stick with a shoe horn on the end that I got when I had my THR that I can use to get into better fitting shoes. There is also an aid for putting on socks. I think it is the hip patients that have more problems with shoes and socks. I can reach my feet without bending my knee but maybe you can't do that. So this was not a problem for me. It may be an unnecessary worry for you. You might surprise yourself.
 
I just tried and I believe I can reach but I do feel some pulling in my hamstring. That's something I've been working on for a long time because both my knees have contractures, but I've been working on that and I have actually improved it, especially on the left, by about 3-5 degrees.

By the way, you ARE an inspiration, doing so well; and since we are almost the same age, I'm hoping to come close to doing as well.
 
@FlaGranny. I could not bend to reach my feet after surgery until recently...I bought a few pairs of slip on shoes, such as Sketchers GoWalks, and two runner type shoes that slip on. I used a long handled shoe horn and a sock aid, available everywhere they sell( or rent) medical aids. The sock aid even helped with compression stockings. I'm still mostly wearing the slip on shoes but I can put my socks on myself. It'll all work out. Best wishes.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom