Guest viewing is limited

TKR The journey continues

I will probably be right there with you at the club tomorrow! My roommate and I went shopping at Sam's and Walmart. I was out almost 4 hours myself. By the time I got home, I was feeling it, as I am now. I had to go back on the Oxy for tonight. I was excited about getting off of them, but it's too early yet. Hopefully, both of us will be OK tomorrow. I was hoping to get back to church. I might have to wait another week.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Me too, sistersinhim! I got the Depends idea here, and I've been wearing them. I haven't needed them, but it makes me not worry about hurrying to the bathroom. Now that my walker speed has picked up a bit, I'm probably ready for big girl underpants!
 
Wow look at you, driving, and being like a real person. Hope you are not hurting too much tonight.
 
That was a good day Amy Jo! Hopefully the ODIC will be closed & taking the day off when you wake up in the morning!

:heehee:
 
Good morning Amy Jo. So how are you feeling after your ambitious day yesterday? I hope not too bad. Did you sleep ok last night?
 
This is tomorrow :) and I am doing fine. I had about seven hours sleep last night and the knee is not more swollen so I am happy. I took two Tylenol during the night. Congratulations @sistersinhim for all your new activities! I hope today goes good for you. @Suz You guess right the ODIC club was closed today. I would just as soon let my membership lapse.
 
I'm so glad you're doing fine today! You are truly on the recovery road! You are an amazing lady. All that and driving, too! Independence is a wonderful thing!
 
That's great that you are doing so well. I'm glad your full day has had no problems for you.
 
Amy Jo, forgive me if I'm confusing you with someone else, but you are the golfer, no? I don't check in here much anymore, because my life is returning to normal. You are a mere 8 weeks behind me, and I wanted to pop in and give you a glimmer of hope.

Two weeks ago I rode around in the golf cart with my husband and popped out of the cart a few times to chip and putt on level ground. Then I played 8 of 9 holes with just my short clubs. Then, a few days later, about 14 holes.

Tomorrow I am 12 weeks out. Friday I played 17 of 18 holes. Missed a par five because I needed a 15 minute break. The next morning I took a water aerobics class and then unexpectedly was invited to play 18. Again, I played 17 holes because a break seemed needed, mostly for all over fatigue. And, I played well! (I have not yet remembered my bad habits!)

I just wanted to tell you that you may be on the course sooner than you think! I didn't expect I would be able to play this season at all. Just ease into it and be smart and listen to the one in charge - your knee! Watch uneven ground, use your 'hand wedge' to get your ball out of the rough, and don't keep score for awhile!

So, 34 holes in two days, plus water exercise is starting to feel like normal life is returning. I iced afterwards for a few hours just to be smart, but did not have increased pain and did not need any pain medication whatsoever. Even slept through the last two nights with the increased exercise!
 
You are really recovering amazingly - congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds good to me! My goal get back to swimming and biking.
 
@GIMPY GAL thank you for those wise words of golf. I figured it would take about three months/12 weeks before I could go out again. I play on Monday's with two friends and they will do anything to accommodate me and won't care if I don't keep score and use that hand wedge in the rough or skip a couple holes. What great ideas. I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready this horrid heat will be gone. On Wednesday I play with the women's golf league. They are fussy and I won't go back to them until I can "keep the rules." :)
 
@GimpyGal that's amazing and you only had surgery in April...@Floridagal will be out there in no time, she has been having a great recovery and her determination will take her the rest of the way.

My goal is to go dancing with my husband, we love to dance!
 
I love hearing about everyone's goals. It makes me smile to know we'll achieve them since we've worked so hard to get through this ordeal.

Amy Jo, we've both had good recoveries, which is why I just had to let you know what I'm able to do already. You are wise with your golf choices. I won't go back to my league until next spring, either. (Of course, we don't golf in winter here.)

One more bit of advice. If your courses allow handicapped flags, take advantage of bringing one along. You may never need it, or choose not to use it, but it sure serves its purpose. We ran into a hole that was cart path only but were excused from honoring that. And, of course, you can get closer to the green. It's a nice way to ease back into the game and save some steps.

I can't wait to hear you are back on the course.
 
Your day is so impressive! That's more than I was doing before surgery. You've helped me to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is a more recent picture of me with my current Sweetie, Sierra. She was re-homed to me in August when her owner knew she was dying. Her personality has blossomed since she moved in with me and we are very closely bonded. She has really been a comfort to me on this journey.
 
How nice of you to take Sierra. And Sierra looks like she really loves you! You both are beautiful! Enjoy each other. You are a big help to each other!
 
Today is my one month/fourth week anniversary. I have read many of your posts and when I hear of your trials and tribulations I feel like crying and don't know what to say. So I say nothing. I am so sorry for you who are having problems.

My knee is progressing so smoothly I feel almost guilty! I walk around the house without the cane. I do short walks outside with the cane. My only pain control is Tylenol which I take only when I need it, sometimes in the middle of the night. I have gone on long rides with my male friend and have eaten out several times. I am now taking a half of an antihistamine which is helping me sleep at night and gives me good naps during the day. Tomorrow I look forward to going to my book group. I am driving myself to PT today for the first time. The only thing I can't do is take the basket filled with recycled newspapers down the steps to the garage to put in the recycling. That takes two hands and I want to hang on to that railing. I still elevate most of the day and ice a few times a day. I've given up on the ice machine and use gel packs. Tomorrow I plan to drive to the grocery store to do some real shopping. I am very grateful that my knee has progressed so well. I wonder if I should continue with my updates. I don't want others to read this and be discouraged. You are all my heroes. I cherish the support I have received here.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom