TKR The Journey Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I found your thread. Its great to hear all is well ahead of schedule. Already at the dog park. 1 month. ! I pm you cause I havent seen your thread but I searched and found it. Keep up the great work. Im sure the med thing will get straightened out. That may be one fear I have. Will I have enough meds! Especially here in California. I dont know if they are generous or tight with them. its amazing your rom is great. Thanks to your preparations and bonesmart knowledge. You are a shining example. Bye now. !
 
That's a wonderful report and I'm proud of you for sticking to the program of restraint in your activity. You won't regret going slowly.....it just works better that way for most people. And it's not forever!
 
Yuck...I've had a serious energy drain for the last 24 hours. I was seriously wiped out after my therapy yesterday, and spent the afternoon napping on and off. Last night I struggled to stay up until 9PM just so I could take my evening medication! Today I was planning to return to the gym for the first time, with my PT's blessing, to walk the rubberized track for a few minutes then take a very gentle stretch class. Well, that class starts in 6 minutes and I'm still sitting on the couch....my stomach has also felt a bit off lately, but I can't say I'm nauseous or anything like that. I wonder if the meds are starting to get to me, even though I am slowly tapering off on them and I always take them with food. It's kind of weird when the knee suddenly takes a back seat to other problems...maybe that's actually a good sign! Ugh...:yawn:
 
So weird! Monday & Tuesday all I did was sleep. Couldn't figure out why I was so exhausted. I was better yesterday & today, so maybe it's just a 4 week slump. I bet you're back to your old energy level tomorrow.

Keep up the great work on your recovery!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing, DogLoverx3, after more than a day feeling this way, I started feeling better a little while ago. I haven't been running on all cylinders since the surgery, obviously, but this was definitely weird. I suppose it's just part of the ups and downs of recovery...

I hope you feel better and better every day!
 
I am 2 days behind you--my surgery was December 20. I know the feeling about wanting to get off of the narcotics but please let you knee be your guide. I made the mistake of thinking I was ready and cut my meds in half. My knee did not like it one bit and it took another full day to get the pain under control. Then I tried stretching the time between dosing from every 4 hours to every 6 hours. That was also a mistake. Seems that what we want and what our knees want are 2 different things. If you find a plan that works for you, let me know! My doctor gave me trammadol for when I need to step down. BTW, your ROM is great--mine is not past 100, but getting close. I know we shouldn't compare but we are so close in surgical dates, it's hard not to!
 
Ziggysmom,
I think you are feeling what is normal in TKR. I have been active but I can tell you it is a matter of pacing yourself. I know between week 4 and 10 I really monitored what I did. I tried to schedule only 1 or 2 activities a day. I know the day after Thanksgiving I spent the next 1 or 2 days totally lying around.
I recently have been doing more but even today and yesterday I had to relax more because my right knee start swelling again.
Best of luck and I think the big thing we have to get over is not feeling guilty about not doing anything but taking care of ourselves.
 
Remember, this recovery is never a straight path forward. You'll have good days and no-so-good ones. Your body needs energy to heal and it takes what it needs from your energy stores FIRST. Then you get what is left over to do the things you want or think you should do. This is what we mean when we say your knee is in charge right now. Listen to your body and you won't regret it. It will tell you when it needs rest or is ready to do a bit more. You must be flexible enough to go with it. This is also the reason we tell folks not to lock themselves back into a work schedule too soon.....it can make things more difficult when you need that flexibility.
 
The energy drain continues...on Friday my PT did an Astym treatment on the back of my knee, because I had been having a lot of discomfort and tightness back there (they run plastic instruments over the site to break up scar tissue). Boy, did that hurt! (However, I must say my knee is feeling and moving better because of it). He had warned it might make me feel lousy due to toxins being dealt with by the body...I felt wiped out that afternoon, and went to bed at 6:45 PM! I had a fitful night of sleep, as usual, and got up about 5 AM. Yesterday I was planning to go to the gym pool in the morning for some gentle exercise, and ended spending the whole day on the couch. After another night of lousy sleep, I still feel yuck. My stomach has also been feeling yuck...it's not nausea, or aches or pains, it's just YUCK. Some of my friends are supposed to be coming over to play cards on Tuesday, but I'm thinking of cancelling, because I'm just not up for company right now. I'm afraid I'd be sitting there thinking, "I wish you'd all just go away!" I know this is all probably just par for the course, but it's getting me down. I was hoping by the time 4 weeks passed I'd feel ready to join the land of the living, but I feel less inclined to now than I did in my first 2 weeks of recovery.

Yup, I'm having one huge Pity Party right now! Has anyone else felt this way when they thought it would be getting better? (The knee, by the way, feels really good except for some stiffness)
 
Hi @Ziggysmom this is a long process as we are finding out. It almost sounds to me like you are having anxiety. I do get it occasionally and when you describe that feeling in your stomach that is how I feel. I also have GERD and your stomach can feel that way too. Think about all the meds we have been taking. In any event you may want to call your GP. It might be a quick fix like Prilosec or an anti anxiety medication. I understand the card playing now. I couldn't do it. I still am not capable of sitting with people for more than a couple hours and that would only be to talk! Nothing that involves entertaining or concentration. Hope you feel better. Let us know how you are doing.
 
We could have a joint pity party today! :umm:I've been in a huge funk since I woke up (although using the term 'woke up' would imply that I was actually able to get a decent amount of sleep - not the case). Having a hard time shaking it today.

I totally understand your wanting to cancel the card playing gang. I just told a friend not to come visit today as I know I'd be horrible company. Your friends will understand and maybe you can reschedule for the following week.

Odd you'd mention the stomach issues. I've had something going on for a few days now that I can't quite describe either. Kind of a dull cramping maybe? I've not been very hungry lately either (which is odd as I love my food). I just assumed it was due to the amount and length of time I've been taking such a plethora of medications. I take anti nausea meds as well (zofran) and assumed these would help avoid any stomach issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm very glad the Astym on the back of your leg seemed to work, although I am sorry that it hurt and has left you feeling blah. I hope that your day gets better and if not, know that a good cry every now and again isn't the worse thing in the world. Just annoying is all. ;-) Tomorrow is a new day and will be better!!

Give Ziggy a hug for me! And one for yourself as well :)
 
DogLoverx3, sometimes I think it would be great if several of us lived near each other so we could be supportive, but other times I think it's a good thing we are spread all over the world, because a mass pity party would be too much for the world to take, LOL! I know my poor hubby is flummoxed by my mood swings, but Ziggy just hangs in there, sitting near me and giving me his sad eyes.

I am feeling better this afternoon...I slept for a couple of hours on the couch this morning. I ate only a little ice cream when I took my noon time hydrocodone, and my stomach felt OK this afternoon. I am actually feeling hungry for supper, so that's a good sign.

I just called one of my friends and cancelled the card game. She will kindly call the others. She had a knee replacement a couple of years ago, and, although she seemed to be on the go all the time, understands how I'm feeling. I guess I will spend the next week doing as I have been doing....go to therapy 3 times next week, maybe go with hubby to the dog park if I feel like it (I sit on the bench while he plays with Ziggy), and rest, ice, elevate. I'm hoping I have enough energy on Tuesday to go to the gym for a few minutes of gentle exercise....I know a lot of people there, so it would be good to see some friends. Thankfully, we are now retired, so I don't have a business to worry about like you do....I don't know how you cope!
 
That would be awesome to be close enough to meet a fellow BSer! Maybe limit the number of pity party participants per day to 4 or so just so we wouldn't scare the rest of society. ;-) I'm so glad you're feeling better!

I haven't been as lucky. Strange amount of pain and swelling today and annoying inability to get comfortable. Also pretty darn tired of being in bed or the one chair that isn't too low for me to get back out of. Have blubbered no less than 5 times today. So not in my nature to be such a sad sack. My coming week looks a lot like yours aside from needing to deliver food to my little old couple and cater a breakfast on Friday (which I'll have my servers do most of the work for me). I'm just ready for a really good day!

Good for you for even thinking of going to the gym! You're braver than I am! I think even if it's just for a few minutes, being able to see friends there will improve your mood greatly! I think a short trip to the dog park would be good as well! Don't tell my dogs though - poor things haven't gotten so much as a walk in over a month! :puppysmooze:

Congrats on being retired early! And thanks for the kudos on my being able to cope. I don't think I'm doing a very good job of that right now.

How are your PT sessions going? Were you prescribed 6 weeks? I think that's what I got. That means we have 2 weeks left to make the most of things! I'm so glad that your PT is a good one! I think that makes all the difference!

Have a great rest of your night and I fingers crossed for a terrific Monday! ((hugs))
 
When you find yourself feeling generally kind of yukkie, be sure it's not a manifestation of your pain creeping back in. That can happen!!! It might be that you need to up your meds a bit and/or ice a bit more.
 
Good point, Jamie! I hadn't really thought of it that way, but an attack of the major yucks usually does accompany a rise in the pain or stiffness level. Sometimes I clearly make the connection, but not always. Frustration is something I'm dealing with with my back/sciatic/piriformis thing (which has improved, by the way, with the use of heat), and frustration usually results in a yuck attack. I wish my doctor could give me a big fat prescription for a bunch of patience pills, as in "take one to two every 4 hours as needed for patience." If I have learned anything about myself during all this journey it is that I am severely deficient in the patience/acceptance factor!
 
Ha!!! Aren't we all. It's the American Way....
 
Well, the yucks seemed to have passed, at least for now...I actually had a somewhat decent night's sleep, which means I only woke up 5 or 6 times and actually managed to get back to sleep within a few minutes instead of hours of trying to get comfortable. I woke up right at midnight, right on schedule for my pain meds, just before the alarm went off, which was nice, because the alarm aggravates me.

I cancelled my card game for tomorrow, and also backed out of attending a meeting this morning, because I know I'd have to sit there for about 90 minutes and might get uncomfortable. I have PT this afternoon. Tomorrow I plan to go to the gym and get into the pool for a little while, if my energy level allows me. I'm getting cabin fever, but I know I have to take this one day at a time and not get ahead of myself. @DogLoverx3, I can relate to you being tired of sitting in the chair or lying in bed...I am sick of having only those two choices, too! Sometimes I think my butt is going to start growing roots!!

Thanks to everyone for your ongoing support and good advice! I am convinced my recovery would not be going as well as it is, if it weren't for Bonesmart and all of you Smarties! I'm actually feeling hungry now (haven't felt that in a few days), so I am signing off and making myself some breakfast!
 
Yey for the yucks being gone! Hopefully they won't come back anytime soon (or at all!). Good for you for cancelling the card game and not going to the meeting. I think it would be far worse to actually go to the meeting and then be 'stuck' there and uncomfortable. I think these are things that fall under the 'no one will die if it doesn't get done' part of the BoneSmart mantra. :)

I made plans today with a friend for brunch on Sunday and then almost immediately backed out. I'm sure I'm testing my friends' patience, but I had to remember that I have a rough Thursday & Friday ahead of me and I have no idea how I'll be feeling by Sunday. I'd rather be a bit of a wet blanket now, than have to back out last minute or *gasp* go anyway and resent being there.

I hope you know that you give just as much support as others on here. I love that our surgery dates are so close together and I find it somewhat fascinating that some of our good days, bad days, aches and pains seem to follow some sort of a pattern. All except for that sleep thing. So glad that you were able to get some rest. And SO JEALOUS that I haven't. :whistle:Yours is always one of the first threads that I check on! :-)

Keep on pacing yourself and taking it easy. Everyone else will understand you needing to limit your activities for the forseable future. I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday.
 
Hi Ziggysmum,
Hope you are feeling better today. I had a "funk"day today as well due to lack of sleep more than anything else I think. I have found that many of my muscles are in a huge state of shock so I have been massaging them madly and they do feel better tonight. My knee itself doesn't hurt more the muscles than anything else. Anyway I hope you are feeling better,
Shaza
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom