TKR The Journey Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3, I am so glad to see you are feeling more upbeat! And thank you for your encouraging words! It means so much to me! Physically I've been feeling a lot better everywhere but in the danged knee. Emotionally I'm feeling down because I cancelled a third event for this weekend. I was supposed to go to the local playhouse with some women friends, but found out the play is being held in the theater that has hard seats and little leg room. There is no way the leg is going to tolerate that for more than 10 minutes, so I gave away my ticket. Bummer! Thankfully the friend who is putting that outing together is a nurse, so she understands. However, I guess doing anything fun is not in the cards for me right now.

PT yesterday was a killer! I had another Astym treatment on the back of the leg....owwww! The therapist also had me stepping on and off a stair leading with both good and surgical legs, frontwards, sideways, backwards. Then she had me sidestep up and down the room for 5 laps, but doing a shallow squat with each step. All of this was challenging but not painful, but I could not ice until later in the day...the Astym treatment causes inflammation to break up scar tissue/adhesions and the ice will stop it. So my knee was pretty swollen and stiff last night, and I had to increase my pain medication. This morning the back of my knee feels wonderful, but the front of the knee is really tight. I was planning to go to the gym pool later this morning to do my exercises (been trying to get there for days now!), but that may have to wait until tomorrow...I am unsure if I should do anything today or just rest it.

So, it's a frustrating time to say the least. But I'm keeping my eye on the prize...until I had this surgery, there was nothing but a wheelchair at the end of the road. Now, there are long hikes, and doing anything else I want to do...must. remain. patient......
 
@Nzshaz, I am also constantly massaging my knee...even a vigorous rub seems to help warm the muscles and loosen them up a bit. My big problem right now seems to be the tendon/ligament running up and down laterally along the knee. It's extremely tight and is actually setting me back when it comes to lifting the leg in a marching motion, or even bending it. I had a lateral release done during the replacement, so that might be the problem. I guess I'll find out when I see the OS next week. Rubbing it lightly but vigorously does seem to help it bit.

I am feeling better, and hope you are doing well, too....hang in there!!
 
I'm sorry you had to cancel another outing :-( You will be back to your normal socializing self in no time and you just need this time to recouperate. Even if you pushed yourself and went, you know you wouldn't be able to enjoy yourself and would be in a world of hurt the next day, so you did the right thing.

It's tough to be so far removed from our 'former' lives and selves, but it sounds like not only do you have tons of friends, but very understanding ones to boot!

You are doing many more 'normal' exercises than I am! There's no way I could do a side step while squatting. I'm so impressed with how well you're doing! I'm sorry the Astym thingie hurts so much, but sounds as if it's worth it the next day?

Did you make it to the pool today? Again, I can't even imagine that at this point for me, so know how well you're doing and keep up the great work!!!
 
No pool for me today, @DogLoverx3....shortly after I wrote that post it started snowing heavily. We only got about 3 inches, but we now live in the (sunny?) South, and this may as well be 3 feet of snow! The gym closed early. I probably would not have gone anyway, because I'm not about to go slip sliding around out there. Now the temperatures are plummeting toward a single digit, so whether or not I will be going tomorrow is uncertain. I'm also glad the card game was already cancelled, so I didn't have to do it after I had everything ready for company. Today was yet another day of old movies and cat naps. I did some exercises, but the knee is really stiff today....I guess it's still angry about yesterday's activities!

I hope you had an easy, healing day today....and maybe some warm sunshine?
 
Oh goodness. Your weather sounds bad! Funny what you said about the 3 inches of snow may as well being 3 feet. I live in Arizona and if it even sprinkles rain, everyone freaks out and drives like idiots. We don't get much rain, so no one knows how to function when it does. :SUNsmile:

I'd be so scared to walk on ice. On my best of days, I've always been a tremendous clutz so ice and I certainly wouldn't mix. Please do be VERY careful!

See? You don't need to feel bad about cancelling the card game - or not going to the gym! I think Mother Nature may be reading your thread on here and wanting to reassure you that it's okay to not be ready to do all that you want to yet.

Wanna know a secret? On non PT days, I don't do any exercises! :heehee: I figure with as much as I'm up and moving around (and working when i shouldn't), that's plenty of 'exercise'.

My knee is hugely swollen and tight today. It actually felt fairly good up until about 2pm and then bam! Swollen, stiff and very tight. I can't wait for the day when things are on an even keel.

I think you mentioned that you have a followup with your OS next week? What day? Mine is on Monday (I think). We can compare notes! :martini:

(oh, and I won't tell you that it was 76 and sunny today) :-x
 
It's looking bleak for tomorrow...the temp is down to 13 degrees now, and I am hearing reports that it's pretty icy out there. They are not equipped here to deal with winter weather like this. Heck, they have to practice working the little plow truck before a "snowstorm!" I very much doubt I will be leaving the house at all tomorrow.

I'm sorry your knee swelled up so suddenly today. What's with that? Maybe you are like me...eat so much as a saltine, and BAM!...I gain 5 lbs., LOL! I hope you are able to get that under control before bedtime so you can get somewhat comfortable.

I have one problem spot that is driving me crazy. I have a tight band that runs alongside the lateral side of my knee. It is becoming increasingly stiff, and is inhibiting my gait when I walk. I did have a lateral release during the tkr, so I'm wondering if it's that or another problem. I have upped my pain meds because of this. I will be going to PT on Thursday (thankfully that was rescheduled from tomorrow!), and will be asking him to address this problem specifically.

Speaking of the OS, my follow-up visit is on Monday also. I have already hit my ROM goals, although I doubt today I would have. We will definitely have to compare notes! Let's hope we both have productive visits!

Sleep well...I'll be dreaming about moving to Arizona (I've been there only once and loved it, BTW)!
Carolyn
 
Yikes! I think you should ABSOLUTELY plan to stay home tomorrow!

I'm sorry about the tightness on the side of your knee. I have some issue behind my knee and across the front, but the only issues with the sides are when the nerves decide to send a 'zinger' my way. And the fact that the entire right side of my knee is completely numb. Boo.

I was mistaken. My followup with the OS is on Tuesday. Monday is PT. You can tell me all about your report card and then I'll share mine the next day!

If you ever make it out this way again, let me know! :-)

~ Ellen
 
@DogLoverx3....Yes, I am housebound again today...the thermometer is reading 0.0 right now. Hubby is driving 10 miles to have some blood work done prior to his doctor's appointment later this morning, which means another trip later to the same place. He could have had the blood drawn any time during the week prior to the appointment, but no, he had to wait until today. There are lots of warnings of icy roads. Men!!

I have upped my pain meds, which actually helped me sleep fairly decently last night, and my knee is a bit more flexible this morning. Later today I will try some gentle stretches and see how those feel.

Is your PT ASTYM certified? That treatment hurt, but I can tell you it pretty much eliminated the problems I was having behind my knee. I am having the front treated on Thursday. Here is the link to the website about it: www.astym.com

It might be worth asking your PT about his/her opinion about it. When my husband had his knees done, the therapist massaged around his knee very hard, breaking up scar tissue. Could it be you have scar tissue or some adhesions forming that are inhibiting movement? This is on my list of topics to discuss with my OS, so he can educate me more on this.

I get zingers, too. I love it when they happen when I'm face to face with someone...a zing always seems to happen when I'm telling people how wonderful I'm doing, and then it's YOWZA!!!

My numbness is weird. It's actually not as bad as the numbness I had following my arthroscopic surgery last June. It feels numb at the surface, but I can feel underneath. It's creepy feeling. I read on another thread some people get thick dark hair growth in that numb area...just what I need, a numb knee with a five o' clock shadow...

I will be lurking around here during the day...I hope you get to sit outside for some nice, warm vitamin D treatment today...I am insanely jealous of you right now!!
 
Ziggysmom. Its too bad about the yucky stomach and lack of sleep and the cabin fever and the occasional zinger. Keep your eye on the prize! You are doing well. Sounds like a typical recovery without any major setbacks. To me it sounds like you may be doing too much! Remember its a marathon. You know what to do. You are and have been well prepared for this. Sending sunshine your way from California .
 
Hiya Ziggysmom! So glad you were able to sleep last night! And that you're staying in on such a yucky day. Yes, too bad your hubby is a stubborn man ;-) I hope his drive was safe and uneventful to both appointments.

I'll check with my PT today about that treatment. Although I'm not too keen on the 'it hurts part'. ;-)

I was actually able to get some decent sleep myself last night. Woke up every couple of hours in big time pain, but was able to fall back asleep. That hasn't happened since I had surgery, so although I could do without the pain part, the sleep part was much appreciated!

Haha, I read the thread about the strange hair growth too. :heehee:

Have a super day and stay safe and warm!!

~ Ellen
 
Hi @icep707...I do think I overdid it a bit at PT the other day...that's the first time that has happened, and I won't let it happen again. Thankfully I've been feeling better than I did over the weekend, although the Patriots' loss to the Broncos didn't help, LOL (you probably had the same lousy feeling over the weekend, eh?). We are up to a balmy 22 now...thanks for sending the California sunshine, it was nice while it lasted...we are back to gloomy clouds again. I think I'll go start some veggie seeds under lights in hopes of an early spring!

Ellen @DogLoverx3...the treatment hurts, but it stops as soon as he stops. I asked him why he was bearing down so hard on me. He ran his finger over my shoulder with a light touch and said, "that's how hard I'm pushing on you." I was so surprised! It only took a light touch from him to inflame the scar tissue and make it feel like he was bearing down on me! There is definitely a technique to how he does it, also, especially around the incision. Everyone notices an improvement afterward, though.

Hubby made it to the lab and back just fine. He no sooner got home and comfy with a cup of coffee, when the doctor's office called. They had a bunch of cancellations and asked if he could come in right away...so off he went again. He came back a bit irritated...he's 12 lbs. heavier than last year, and the doc is NOT pleased.....

I'm getting so bored I'm actually starting to clean things around here...started in my bathroom...now thinking of moving on to the cluttered laundry room. Stuff has been just getting piled here and there for the past 5 weeks, and it's getting a little ridiculous. De-cluttering is an easy start and stop activity...good for the circulation and spirit. Do you think I will actually believe it if I say it over and over again?
 
How annoying for your poor husband to have to go straight back there. Poor thing. At least he's home safe and sound now.

I had asked my PT about the tightness behind my knee (it's sort of off to the right side, right at the bend and I can feel tightness straight down from there for about 8-10 inches). He says it's just my hamstrings being worked out which made sense to me since I was having issues with getting my leg straight and have been working hard on that. I have PT today, so will ask him about that treatment you get. I haven't seen anyone doing anything 'neato' to anyone while I'm there, so maybe they don't do it where I go.

Oh heck, if you're that bored, come clean my house. PLEASE! Between my trying to rest, having to work, and overdoing in so many other ways, housework is the one thing that I have absolutely said 'forget it' about. Needless to say, my house is a bit of a pig stye at the moment. Well, the 1st floor anyway as I moved the guest room bed and my office downstairs before I had the surgery done (thank goodness).

So, do you have popping going on when you walk? Mine started last week and now it's a double pop with each step that I take. It doesn't hurt, but I can definitely feel it. I think it's normal and nothing to worry about, it's just weird is all. No clue if it's permanent or not.

I'm going to try very hard to take a little nap before PT today (haha). I'm really kinda scared/nervous about all the work I have to do over the next 2.5 days. I've been able to get away with just cooking for, organizing and delivering everything for my servers to my catering functions since surgery, but I have to actually be at my things for tomorrow and friday (and they're back to back - thursday evening, friday morning). I am scared to death of what the aftermath is going to be like. :-(

I hope you've had a great day so far and stay safe! Do you have a fireplace at home? If so, curl up (or curl as much as you can ;-)) by it with some hot cocoa and relax! Tomorrow is a new day!!! :-)

Oh, and tell your hubby not to worry, I'm 12 lbs heavier than I was last year too! Boo.
 
LOL, I'm so ticked off by this weather right now, cleaning any house in a warm climate sounds good to me! By the way, the laundry room has not been touched yet...funny how the day can get away from you...

I hope your functions go OK this week...do they entail a lot of required standing or walking, or can you just sit and point? Maybe you could be in charge of ice, and just lay a bag on your knee and remove ice as needed, LOL...

I don't have popping when I walk, at least not yet. But it does have a sort of soft click when I move the leg up and down or bend it. It also clunks when I turn over in bed. Weird! However, it doesn't hurt, and I know it's normal. When I asked my husband about it, he shook both his knees and I could hear them rattling....ewwww!!! I think as the swelling goes down inside the knee, there will be more clicks and pops, depending on the movement. We probably won't even notice it after awhile.

Oh, look at the time! Time for tea and cookies and a pill! Darn, no time to clean that laundry room...maybe tomorrow...
 
:heehee: You're so funny. I hope you enjoyed your tea and cookies and hello? why clean the laundry room? It has a door doesn't it? Just shut it. Viola!! :)

No sitting and pointing for me. I have to be standing and moving around. The best is when I actually have to carry something! :wink: It's like I'm a toddler. I look at the ground and have to concentrate really really hard. I'm in an uber pissy mood tonight as my knee has been killing me all day and although I should have cancelled PT I didn't. I'm now back home with my same painful swollen knee and all I want to do is go to bed and ice it, but I still have work to do for my events tomorrow. :hairpulling: Luckily I have an ice pack/brace from one of my previous surgeries that I strap on and I can walk around with, so that's helping a little. I would really like just one day when all goes well. Not great, just well.

Great idea about being in charge of ice though. Hahahaha. Made me laugh. And OMG! Your husbands knees seriously jiggle and you can hear the hardware?!? Yikes! I'm sure you're right that as we heal more and the swelling goes down, we'll hear more jingles from within. There goes my love of sneaking up on people. ;-)

Oh, I asked my PT about the Astym thing and he said it's terrific for IT band issues and serious muscle injuries. He didn't say anything about it being for scar tissue though. I'm glad it's working for you!

I hope you're enjoying a good evening and are able to sleep tonight. I also hope your weather improves!

Back to work...... grrrr
 
Well, now you can have more fun sneaking up behind people...you can creep people out jingling your knee...hey, it might even move along the odd slow server...just make sure they aren't carrying a tray of pudding near your number one client...hmmm...we could join the rhythm section of the local orchestra...wow, there are tons of possibilities here!

Seriously, I hope you are able to give your knee some quality time before your events...I am still under orders not to carry anything with any weight. I picked up a gallon bottle of vinegar the other day and was surprised at the pressure it put on my knee. I put it down real quick...I don't know how you do it!

I hope you sleep well tonight...I've struggled all day to not nap at all, hoping I will succeed in another somewhat decent night. I'm about to throw in the towel. Good night!
 
Hahaha, we can all audition to be The Ghost Of Christmas Past next season as we'll rattle all on our own! :heehee:

I kinda had a mini breakdown at PT tonight because I'm so stressed out about the next 2 days and so tired of being in pain (i'm kinda known as the big baby of the group - nice). I'm sure all will be fine and I can only do the best that I can do. I just hate to have people actually see me in pain and not able to do things. It's ruins the whole illusion that i'm wonder woman, ya' know? ;-) That's why I haven't gone out anywhere and always look at the ground when I have to go to the store (probably why I run into stuff with the electric carts -haha). Didn't even think of the added pressure on my knee when I carry stuff. Geesh, I swear, I'm usually a very intelligent person.

My pre PT nap was a no go, so although I would have loved to have taken one today, no such luck. I'm going to take 2 Tylenol PM in a bit and cross my fingers. Heck, I don't know what I'll do with myself if I can actually get 2 decent night's sleep ..... in a row! *gasp* I hope you sleep well and soundly tonight! xoxo
 
To ZiggysMom and DogLover, I have been reading your posts today and felt like adding some encouragement. I am 3weeks ahead of you and want you to know it gets better. The 5 week point for me was the most difficult, I was getting depressed, still in great pain and thought I was going nowhere. The bonesmarties told me to take more pain relievers, and yes rest, elevate and and don't push any exercise or activity too much. So I did very little for the next two weeks, just PT. By 6weeks I started to feel improvement, at 7 weeks optimistic, I'm at 8 weeks now and feeling much stronger. I still have a bent leg, I still have stiffness and pain, but I'm off the strong meds and just using Tramadol, Tylenol and Advil. I still have hydrocodone if things get rough and I won't hesitate to use them, but I think I'm going to be okay.

The biggest thing I learned is this a difficult surgery, it takes a long time to heal all of the parts of your body that were involved, including the head (Percocet ) and no two people are the same. It will start to get better for you soon, you both are right on target and in a few more weeks you will know it.
Spiritbee
 
Thank you for your encouraging words, @Spiritbee51! My knee reacted badly when the PT stepped things up. It was pretty discouraging to suddenly be walking again like Peg Leg Pete, and having to increase the pain meds again. This morning, however, my leg felt very good, which is a good thing because I had therapy this morning. I did explain to her what happened, so she postponed my ASTYM treatment to next week, because she doesn't want to re-inflame the leg that just got over major inflammation, and she changed up my exercises a bit. Now I am resting with the leg elevated and iced.

It's good to hear encouragement from people who are a few weeks ahead...we are basically walking on the same path, but you are ahead of me, letting me know that the difficult climb is going to start flattening out. When you are alone on the path, you have no idea where it is leading or what is around the next bend. So, I really appreciate hearing from you...and am glad your recovery is going so well!
 
I was in that spot where you feel alone and then I found this forum and sought out all the info I could. It helps so much to know that it does get better. You are still in that difficult time frame when things hurt so much and progress is so slow. I had to learn to be patient, keep the pain down and pretty much do nothing. I had a hard time keeping the pain under control for the first 6 weeks, but then it lessens a little and then a little more and soon you will be there. Its not perfect but the worst will soon be over. Work on keeping the pain at bay, it will get you through.
S.Bee51
 
I had my 6 week follow-up visit with my OS yesterday. He was very happy with my progress. The only area of concern is my leg extension. I am at zero, but when standing naturally, my "good" leg is negative by 2 or 3 degrees. This makes the tkr leg look and, more importantly, feel bent. He is releasing me from PT at the end of this series (I have 3 more sessions), and told me to have PT give me a home exercise program. He also recommended I purchase the Ideal Stretch, which is an aid for helping stretch hamstrings and calf muscles. He would like to see more extension in the leg, and he says his patients have good results with it. He mentioned in passing the possibility of an MUA, but I shut that idea real quick!! Here is a link to the Ideal Stretch website for anyone who is interested: www.idealstretch.com (I'm on my ipad so can't find the tool to make link work, sorry!).

I have had an area of tightness that runs around my patella from 6 O'clock to about 9 o'clock, if you are facing my knee. It is tight enough to inhibit me in picking up my leg and with bending it. He says it's the bottom of the IT band, and will loosen with time. It's not uncommon. I also mentioned random stabbing pains inside the knee that set my teeth on edge. He said that isn't uncommon either, and will also lessen with time.

My final area of concern was pain management. When I had my hydros refilled last week, I received 20 fewer pills than the script before. I asked him point blank if a day was coming when he would decide I don't need them anymore, even if I felt that wasn't the case. He said that would never happen. He did say the dosage may go down, but if that did not work for me, I could contact him and he would adjust the prescription. He did encourage me to continue tapering, but at my pace. Even though I have a layer of nurses and a PA I have to deal with, he does get messages left for him, and will return a call personally if I feel it necessary to discuss an issue directly with him. I do remember him having a conversation with my husband about an issue he had when he had his first knee replacement.

So, I see him again in 6 weeks, hopefully with a couple of degrees of extension added. Overall, I am very happy! My husband and I went to a couple of stores in search of something before the doctor's appointment, and I remarked to him that, although I was walking slowly and with a limp, I could not have done this the day before the surgery because of the agonizing pain. That alone has made this whole process worth it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom