Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Journey Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kneeper, no he only gave me 30 more Percocet. I can get more if I need them. I never took meds until this knee started giving me trouble, so I'm not familiar with step down meds, nor have I ever had to wean myself off a drug before. To a certain extent, I think my OS's hands are tied by tight regulations on the prescription of narcotics. I think laws have gotten much tighter in the past year. The good news is both my OS and PCP are very responsive, so if I have any trouble, I should be able to get help fast. When I get off the computer, I'm going to chart out a schedule and see how it goes.
 
What I was thinking about was that for me I had a certain amount of percocet and then a prescription for hydrocodone (vicodin) which for me was much weaker, so sort of a step down. then gradually I experimented with stretching out the doses of that and then down to tylenol.
 
Carolyn. Wow. Amazing. You are doing very well. Lesson learned with pain meds. !!. 2 weeks and you could be driving . Thats great. Sounds like your PT is a bonesmartie. You are lucky. Keep up the great work. Yeah I guess the weather can be a factor. I lived my whole life in the san Francisco bay area. It never ever gets lower than 25 degrees. So I should count my blessings. We just pay for that luxury for everthing is expensive. Mortgages , gasoline and taxes ,toll fares etc. .regionial parks ,resturants. You get the picture. Well Carolyn. Take your meds. Remember the dark days are not quite over with. We are pulling for you. Bye hope your holiday was a good as it could of been considering the circumstances.
 
@kneeper...thanks for that information. I am going to call my OS tomorrow and ask about that. I've been looking at the bottle of 30 pills, thinking it's not going to get me very far, even if I cut the pills in half. It doesn't seem realistic I would be only using ibuprofen when I see him at 6 weeks. I'm doing really well, but I'm not made of stone!
 
There are lesser drugs your doctor could prescribe if he wants you off the Percocet. Ask about Hydrocodone and, if not that, then ask about Tramadol. In my opinion it's a bit early to ask you to go completely off any prescription pain medication. If you have pain, you need medication.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, @Jamie...I called the surgeon's office yesterday. First I encountered a nurse who was quite snarky with me. She informed me they never give out a prescription for more than 30 pills, and since I was on Percocet, I had to personally show up for a written prescription. I told her we live over an hour away and that would be difficult, to which she replied, "when people get sick of driving in here for them, they ask to be switched to Hydrocodone, which we can call in." Like I was supposed to know this. She then informed me that THEY would be weaning me off the meds, which in my mind was in complete contradiction to what the doc had told me (he said my knee was in charge, and how and when I tapered off was my decision). At that point I decided to give up on this conversation and call the surgeon direct when I returned from PT.

It wasn't long after I returned home, when I received a call from the surgeon's physician's assistant. He was very nice and started the convo with "I understand you have questions about tapering off the meds." I told him I did, and briefly told him what the nurse told me. He told me they COULD not prescribe more than 30 pills at a time, and I would have to call him when my supply was running low. I told him, well, at this rate, you will be hearing from me about every 5 days. He told me that was no problem, they were not going to ever leave me hanging for meds, and that we would work together as time went on. I thanked him for that, explained that before this incident with my knee I never took any medication, so am completely unfamiliar with what drug is what or how all this pain management worked, except I want to be comfortable so I can heal and do my PT, then get off them when I don't need them for pain anymore and get on with my life, drug free. I also told him driving over an hour every week for a piece of paper was a problem. He told me not to worry about it, because it was already determined I would probably be ready for hydrocodone for my next prescription, and they can call that in to our pharmacy.

So that made me feel better. His call made me wonder if he overheard the nurse earlier that morning. She is the first person I've encountered through this process that had an attitude and seemed to contradict everything I was being told about my treatment. And, of course, having just taken a percocet before I spoke with her, probably made me feel it was a bigger problem than it was.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it, except to say I have now extended my time time between meds from every 4 hours to every 4.5 hours, and am doing well with that.
 
Another "milestone" last night at Day 16! I made it through the entire night in bed...and actually slept on my side a little! Although I was restless at times, trying to be comfortable, I did not have to make a 3 AM escape to the recliner!!

Amazing how those seemingly insignificant things become such a big deal, but I guess it's another indicator that I am, indeed, healing!

I hope all my fellow Supernova Bonesmarties are also enjoying similar milestones in recovery!
 
That was some nurse story. That gal sure needs a talkin'-to and quickly!! I'm glad you were smart enough to go beyond her (and to rather sweetly put her on report as well). That's the way to do it!!

It sounds like all good news now. GREAT!!!!
 
Awesome! I also have been sleeping until 3:30 - 4:00 am. My doctor prescribes 40 tablets at a time but so far no problem with refills but I do have to have someone pick the script up. I see my OS in three weeks so I am sure he will have me switched and cut down completely by then. It seems with our narcotics laws that is standard around here and you are probably referred to pain management clinics if you need further medication. I wish you continued healing and am so glad it is January!
 
I was flabbergasted today when my PT measured me...extension 0, flex 120! I guess I expressed my surprise rather loudly because everyone in the room stopped and looked at me when he said I was at 120!! Now for some elevation, icing and a nap!
 
Now THAT'S sounding great!!!
 
When I saw my OS for my 2 week follow-up visit, he told me I could start taking an OTC NSAID along with my pain meds, as I no longer had to take a blood thinner. Since then I've been taking 220mg of Aleve every 12 hours, according to package directions.

I hate taking drugs of any kind, and look forward to the day when I will once again be free of this stuff. When I read more than once here on Bonesmart that NSAIDs really do nothing for post-surgical swelling, I decided to drop it and see for myself. Although I am still far from healed, I've been enjoying good ROM and have been more comfortable while sleeping in bed. I dropped the Friday afternoon and early Saturday doses....by noon on Saturday, my leg felt more swollen, and my ROM had dropped considerably. I had changed nothing of my daily activities (or lack thereof), and continued elevating, icing, resting, etc.

I went back onto the Aleve last night, and took my morning dose. Already I my knee feels looser and I can bend it more easily. So, I have reluctantly concluded these low doses of Aleve are helping somewhat with the swelling, and I must continue on. :sigh:
 
You've discovered something we tell folks frequently. What works for one person (or for a thousand, for that matter) may not work for you. Each person and their recovery is different. So, I'm glad you did the little test and found that Aleve does work for you in regard to the inflammation and swelling with your knee. I know you don't like meds, but it sounds as though it may be a good idea to use this one for a while longer.
 
I love Aleve. My doctor/Kaiser uses aspirin 2x/day for its anti-clot regimen, so that helps a lot with pain. I'll be switching to Aleve as soon as I'm off aspirin.
I switched directly from morphine to hydrocodone after a week or so, and it's worked fine. (I can't handle Oxy, which is why I was on good ol' morphine.)
Meanwhile, great on your progress. My ROM is fine, but extension? Meh. I have a Baker's cyst behind my knee that's not doing me any favors. Oh well.
 
@Jamie, you are absolutely right...everyone is an individual, on every level...age, fitness, diet, dna, etc. etc.

And, as much as I despise using these drugs, I will use them until I absolutely don't need them anymore.
 
@pdx...I was taking the blood thinner Lovenox 2x per day...self injected into the belly. That was fun. I was taking the oxycodone, then was switched last week to hydrocodone, partly because we would have to drive over an hour to physically pick up a prescription for oxy every time I needed a refill...love it how criminals ruin life for those of us who just want to take them until we are healed...anyway, my first day on the hydro was just fabulous, as I nearly bit off my husband's head because he looked at me funny during a conversation about an every day matter. I was in a real depressive state that day. The next day I did a little online research, and found that oxy's give you a sense of euphoria that hydro's do not. Apparently I went through a withdrawal. Of course, had to apologize big-time to hubby! I'm fine now, and have even started to gradually increase the time between doses with no negative affect to the knee or my psyche.

For me Aleve is as good as any of the NSAIDs...I do worry about long term side effects on my liver and digestive system...I am very much into healthy nutrition, locally grown food, etc., and using food as medicine. However, there are times when it would be stupid not to use what modern medicine has to offer us, as in this situation. And it does make the knee feel better!

Is there anything that can be done about your baker's cyst? I've heard they are pretty painful and reduce ROM. That must be pretty discouraging.
 
Hah! re the interaction with your hubby. I hate being loopy almost as much as I hate pain, so it's a real balancing act. Oxy induced hallucinations, unpleasant ones, so forget that -- and yes, Oxy is wicked strong, sort of using an elephant gun to shoot a duck after the post-acute stage. Hydrocodone isn't perfect, but it seems to be a decent balance for me.

As for the cyst, the cure apparently is "tincture of time." I've been using some compression, which helps. Luckily it's not hugely painful -- the main effect is limiting range of motion.
Thanks for asking.
And I'm with you on healthy eating, though I have been using chocolate medicinally.
 
@pdx...yes, chocolate therapy...absolutely necessary!! If it weren't for the tylenol that's in with the hydrocodone, I'd be indulging in a little red wine therapy, also....:)
 
Today is my 4 week anniversary!

Yesterday I was on my feet more than I have been since my surgery day. In the morning I dusted the furniture in a couple of rooms (boy, is there ever a lot of dust!), did some serious clean up in the kitchen, and put away the Christmas decorations (just 4 items). A friend dropped by, so I iced and elevated while we talked. Later, I drove the car for the first time when we took Mr. Ziggy to the dog park (it's only 1 mile away). I walked up the slope from the car to the park, then sat on the bench while the my husband threw the tennis ball for Mr. Z. I was leery of walking back down the slope because the ground is uneven, so DH brought the car up to the gate...next time I will be braver!

Last night it took a while to fall asleep, then I woke up about 1:30 in the morning. It was tough getting back to sleep, because I could not get the leg comfortable. I guess I finally did, because the next thing I knew, it was almost 6:00 AM....I had slept through my scheduled dose of pain meds and was overdue by 2 hours! When I got up, my knee felt pretty good, and I walked around the house with a pretty normal heel to toe gait...I was pretty amazed by that!! I decided to take half a dose of the pain med, and will take the other half just before therapy today.

I am amazed at how far I have come over the past few weeks...I am aching to get on with my normal life, but I have to restrain myself, because I know I am far from healed yet. But it sure feels good to know that I did the right thing having this surgery! :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom