Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Journey Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ziggysmom
You seem to have a good attitude and glad to see you're doing well. I also have my golden, Maddie to keep me company unfortunately she has torn her ACL
.
 
Maddie to keep me company unfortunately she has torn her ACL.
Twiggy, I am sorry to read of your Golden's ACL issue. I have had labs, and three of them had ACL tears. On, and two of them had the ACL reconstruction, and the other had the TPLO Surgery,which worked quite well.

I hope your pup gets that ACL issue cleared up ! Remember---Dogs love us more than they love themselves!
 
Oh no, @Twiggy...is Maddie going to have to have surgery on her ACL? Poor dog! It just kills me when they are hurt and don't understand what is going on.

My attitude has been good, although I managed to have a meltdown earlier tonight. I felt like a little kid, then realized I had been through therapy, 3 visits from friends, and several phone calls...so, like a little kid, I guess I was just overtired, and my poor hubby paid the price. I was walking around the house with my walker, sobbing and carrying on about something stupid. Then I nodded off, and now I feel good again. Go figure.:tantrum:
 
It is hard to learn to pace yourself and you haven't been home long. My first week home I really wouldn't see anybody except my children and of course all the home health people. I also find when I go out I get tired and feel a let down. I am doing really well but it gets frustrating at times but I am so looking forward to the spring and being able to walk outside and not being in pain.
Maddie will be getting operated on in early January and she doesn't seem to be in pain. She is on medication. We do try to keep her calm, but that was difficult in the snow we had last week because she loves it.
 
I am doing really well but it gets frustrating at times but I am so looking forward to the spring and being able to walk outside and not being in pain.

These BTKR seem to test our patience forever. IT seems to go on and on---stiffness and soreness---five months went by before I lost a limp. It was six months before I felt 80%-85%. At eight months, it was finally 90%-95%.

You keep asking, "When will this all end?" It does---trust me, it does---and having a BTKR during this time of year will pay off in spades when the great weather comes along.

We have to understand the surgical trauma done to both knees, the amount of energy being spent in the healing process, and if we over do things, we will temporarily pay the price. It is hard---very hard---to hold back and not try to out work the knees.

Hang in there---your time---your destination of being fully recovered---will arrive.
We do try to keep her calm, but that was difficult in the snow we had last week because she loves it.
All three of my dogs love the snow, although the senior boy, now almost 11, has lost a little bit of his zest for the colder days.
 
Tim, thanks for asking about Maddie and thanks for your support!
 
Twiggy, having the BTKR was easy. It was the recovery that was the most difficult thing that I have ever done. Training for college football as well as playing four years of college football and cycling hundreds of miles a week could not compare to what I had to go through in recovery.

It was, without a doubt the longest and the most frustrating activity that I ever took part in. There were days there that I never thought that it would end.

It did, well into the summer months. Now, I still remember those dark days; I remember psuing a shopping cart through a grocery store wondering when the limp would leave. I umpired my first baseball game in the first week of April with a slight limp. I would wake up in the morning, feel really great---and wonder if this would be the day that I would lose the stiffness and the limp.

Ironically, to this day, I cannot remember the actual day that things went to the positive side! I cannot remember the exact date---perhaps I just took it for granted. But things are fine now---better than ever, actually. No pain, and my life is better now than it was a year before my BTKR.

Time and patience---they are cliches---but you have the necessary inner strength to get through it. It is there, within you. You will get to that destination, IT is not "if"---just "when."

Hang in there; take it, as they say, "one day at a time." Soon those days will add up, and you will be completely recovered.
 
@Twiggy I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I had a lot of the up and down feelings with my hips. I just wanted it to be OVER (BTW it isn't over yet -- I am basically having to learn to walk properly again so as not to perpetuate my horrible pre-op limp, and I'm still using a cane most of the time)

So sorry your dog tore her ACL. My last lab, Suzie, tore her ACL and had the TPLO surgery for it. We have a great doggie orthopedic surgeon here.

I think it was harder on me than it was on her and she looked so pitiful with half her back end all shaved and all the stitches. It just broke my heart to see her that way, but she didn't seem to particularly mind, and they gave her medicine to control pain and she was her normal happy self through the whole thing. She did very well, and wanted to be up and about quite soon, but we had strict orders to keep her activity very limited for six weeks. She did not like that part at all, but we all survived, she recovered fully and went on to live 8 more happy years. We were never sure how she tore that ACL in the first place, but I swear she used to think she could fly and would take flying leaps from one piece of furniture to the other.

I hope you and your doggie both recuperate quickly.

Peace and love to you
 
@Ziggysmom I LOVE your posts about your husband's sports on TV (I agree about the boxing, and would add wrestling to the things I seriously object to being subjected to on TV). My adult son and I have agreed that if he won't turn on wrestling on TV, I won't put the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's "Hallelujia! " on full blast to drown it out. So now when he and my grandsons come over, they watch something more sedate, like The Walking Dead Devour Atlanta or Chainsaw Vampires Do Key West.

I laughed out loud when I read your post about falling asleep while friends were visiting and being worried about suddenly farting when your friends were there. My pastor came to visit me in the hospital the day of my first surgery and I guess I was pretty fuzzed up with good drugs, because I don't even remember him coming that day. One of my nurses mentioned to me later that it was nice he had come to see me. I hope I didn't say anything too gross to him. Yikes!

I hope your knee is doing better and you'll soon be back to your life!

Peace and love to you.
 
Today I am at Day 9 since surgery, and I think I am doing pretty well. I am walking around the house without a walker or cane. I can also get into and out of bed without waking up my husband in the middle of the night, asking for help. Our bed is high, so I rigged up a step-stool, shower seat combo (set about 5" higher than the stool)...sit on the bed with my feet on the stool, then, using a strap, lift my leg to the seat, then lift it to the bed. I can now actually do it without much pain. I'm still sleeping on my back, which I hate.

Therapy has been going very well. I just returned from my 3rd visit. I am amazed at how much better I am doing today than I was on Monday. Bending is coming harder than straightening, yet my muscles are super tight behind the knee. My bend measured 97 today, which was better than Monday's 85. I told him that, until the staples and bandage, which is pulling on my skin, are removed, I'm not too worried about ROM. He is very good about making sure I get a good stretch, but not pushing into pain. I also point out throughout the session where I'm feeling tight, where I feel pain (which really grabbed me on the first exercise this morning), which exercises are getting easier, and which are not, so he knows where/how I am being impacted as I progress. And, I am also rewarded with a nice massage at the end, LOL!

I am feeling very upbeat right now...my moments of sobbing depression have been brief, thank goodness! I pray my recovery continues this way, although I know the path is definitely not straight and is loaded with obstacles. I am grateful for Bonesmart...it is so great when there is a question to be able to find an answer any time, day or night. Just reading how others are progressing who have gone ahead has been a tremendous help...what wonderful support!

Okay...it's nap time!
 
Congrats on recovery, sounds like you are doing very well. I love the fact that you have Ziggy by your side, I have two boarder collies and I could not wait to get home a see them. My boy Dexter is such a sweetie and always seems to know when i need some loving. My girl Jess is always close to ensure I am ok. They know something is up, its that dog sense thing.

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the recovery.

Cheers
 
Glad to hear you are doing as well as you are. Thats very good news. We are cheering you on. Keep up the great work. I suppose there are ups and downs but it sounds as if you have more ups. Walking around without a cane and using that step stool and strap , brilliant ! . After reading another thread yesterday I need some positive reports I read a thread started last year and It broke my heart although she is now doing better , finally. I wasn't gonna name her but if you feel down and depressed read brown eyed girls thread. So sad and her bravery was inspirational ,. Well gotta go. Ill check in on you later. Take it easy !!!!
 
You sound so good @Ziggysmom. I am just about where you are in recovery. Three weeks Monday! I have done very little except for light PT. wishing you continued healing and a big hug to Ziggy!
 
Well, I got a little arrogant and thought maybe I could start increasing time between pain meds...WRONG!! Last night I slept without setting the alarm for my 1 AM dose. I woke up at 1:30, went to the bathroom, and took a dose, although I felt pretty good. I then stretched the 5:00 AM dose to 7:30. When I exercised at 9:00, my leg was achy and stiff, and bending it was painful and difficult. The incision is irritating me. Overall, I just feel yuck today. Lesson learned!
 
Yesterday was a bad day...the knee was severely swollen, and I felt nothing but pain no matter what I did. ROM was awful. My exercises did not go well. I spent the entire day elevating, icing, and pouting. I thought today's therapy session was going to be a horror show.

Well, therapy went very well! It actually felt therapeutic! The therapist said all his ortho patients were complaining about yesterday. We had a rain storm and cold front go through, and the change in barometric pressure made everyone feel miserable. At the end of the session he measured my flex...it had increased from 97 on Friday to 107 today, without assistance! To say I was thrilled was an understatement!

I came home and celebrated with ice and elevating! I hope all you Bonesmarties also took a good step forward today, too....:happydance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Journey Continues
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] The Journey Continues
bottomshollow
 
I had the staples removed today, whoo hoo!!! I can take a shower tomorrow.....that's going to feel SO good!!

My OS was very pleased with my progress...I'm going to start slowly weaning off the percocet and start taking an over the counter ibuprofen. He said I could devise my own plan as to how to do that (wean off percocet) because I know my body. I can try driving in 2 weeks if I am off the narcotics by then. I see him for a follow-up in a month. He wants me flexing from 0 to 125 by the time I see him again. We shall see how that goes.

Probably the best part of the appointment was when he said "continue to elevate and ice it. If it hurts, don't do it, and don't let anyone else hurt you, either. And don't over do anything, except rest." I wanted to ask him if he knew about Bonesmart, but just then the nurse came in to remove the staples. I will definitely ask him next time!
 
Didn't the ortho give you something to "step down" from the percocet? I do know that helped me. As the doc said, listen to your body. Don't be afraid to go back up a bit if reducing produces bad results for you. then try again a bit later. Yeah, the OS sounds like a Bonesmartie! :cheers2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom