Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I didn't come across as gloating.... I'm genuinely bewildered.

And I am being careful with my recovery. While I have big plans, I also allow recovery time afterward. And I'm not always successful. Witness my hike to the highest point in PA.... we took the half-mile trail to the top of Mount Davis, but then circled back on a horribly overgrown three mile trail. Here I am at the end:



:th_heehee:

Good extension there!
 
Once again I feel like a freak of nature as I look through some of the threads here..... people on heavy grade pain pills months after surgery. A quarter year after the replacement and people can't reach 90 flexion. I was off Percoset at three weeks and I had 130 flexion within a month. Something must be wrong with me. No wonder I have some friends who had knee replacement telling me I'm doing it wrong. (I had one guy unfriend me on Facebook while I was in the hospital since I "didn't understand the pain scale" and was hurting my recovery. The same guy spent six months on Tramadol for one knee and kept emailing lists of drugs to ask for, including laxatives......)

Anyway, I apologize for doing this all wrong.


Hi Historian-----there are some of us out there----I had been off the heavy duty stuff since 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery. Still took celebrex for another week, and now once in a while just take an aleve, 5 weeks post surgery. I have always thought I had a pretty fair pain tolerance but I would not want to speak too soon as someday may need to go through this again and don't want my statement to come back and bite me....<g>

My flexion is not quite a good as yours (120-125 depending on whether the PT or the OS is measuring, and maybe depending on the day) but I have been out hiking and made it to 3/4 of a mile today......

Now on getting up from the tent floor, can't help you there. It would be a struggle for me if I could even do it at all.......
 
Just face the facts, Historian, everything about you is just over the top!!!! :hysterical: But just enjoy being the exception to what the rest of us have had to suffer. Just don't gloat about it! :th_heehee:

I'm happy to see that you're doing so well and that you have all these fantastic plans laid out for yourself. Have loved all the pics.

Take care of yourself and don't get too cocky---don't want anything to come back and bite you. We care.

So nicely stated, Judy! I like how you said the things that were on my mind, but with great humor, tact and empathy.

Historian - I am glad that you have had a truly "3-sigma" recovery (outside the statistical norm). I feel like my recoveries were also exceptional, although my ROM is merely average. There is nothing "wrong" with your rapid recovery and high tolerance to pain; do realize, however, that there is also nothing wrong with folks who do feel a lot of pain after this major surgery. Everyone recovers differently and at different rates.
 
Originally Posted by TheHistorian https://bonesmart.org/forum/showthread.php?p=312161#post312161
I hope I didn't come across as gloating.... I'm genuinely bewildered.


I didn't say you were gloating :sigh: ----I just said not to gloat. And why do I doubt that you are ever bewildered?

Oh, and BTW, are we ever going to get to see you without the beard? Although I like it.
 
Hi Historian-----there are some of us out there----I had been off the heavy duty stuff since 2 1/2 weeks after the surgery. Still took celebrex for another week, and now once in a while just take an aleve, 5 weeks post surgery. I have always thought I had a pretty fair pain tolerance but I would not want to speak too soon as someday may need to go through this again and don't want my statement to come back and bite me....<g>

My flexion is not quite a good as yours (120-125 depending on whether the PT or the OS is measuring, and maybe depending on the day) but I have been out hiking and made it to 3/4 of a mile today......

Now on getting up from the tent floor, can't help you there. It would be a struggle for me if I could even do it at all.......

If I recall correctly, when I last camped I made a big pile with the bedding and sleeping pad and sort of pushed myself backward with my arms while straightening the knees. But my quads were in much better shape then.....
 
So nicely stated, Judy! I like how you said the things that were on my mind, but with great humor, tact and empathy.

Historian - I am glad that you have had a truly "3-sigma" recovery (outside the statistical norm). I feel like my recoveries were also exceptional, although my ROM is merely average. There is nothing "wrong" with your rapid recovery and high tolerance to pain; do realize, however, that there is also nothing wrong with folks who do feel a lot of pain after this major surgery. Everyone recovers differently and at different rates.

Oh, I understand that. But I don't normally think of myself as "3-sigma" - even for the 150 pound weight loss - so I'm bewildered. Aside from the Tramodol Troll I described, I'm not one to criticize others for whatever they face in recovery. Unless they do it to me first. :hysterical:
 
Wow, I definately like the clean shaven version better. Handsome regardless, but it shows better not hidden behind the beard! You have nice eyes, which stand out more without the beard. But I know how you guys get attached (pun intended) to your facial hair! :old:
 
Wow, I definately like the clean shaven version better. Handsome regardless, but it shows better not hidden behind the beard! You have nice eyes, which stand out more without the beard. But I know how you guys get attached (pun intended) to your facial hair! :old:

Well, shaving is a chore, especially if you cut yourself often. And now that I'm on Coumadin for an extended period I'm concerned about cutting myself.

My eyes look better now that I've ditched the "fat man frames" and gotten a pair that better fit my face. Now to get my face thinner.... which will happen as I grow thinner.

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
 
I think the ladies will like your look with or without the beard. Your choice! I like the new specs--they do make you look younger (which is usually good). Have a great day.
 
I cancelled PT again due to stomach problems. I can't tell if it's a bug, something I'm eating, or the Coumadin. The blood thinner is the only drug I'm on at the moment, and I always take it with food.
 
Just looking back at the "other forum" tracking my progress:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/803341-Goood-thoughts-for-Neil_B

Here are my first comments in texts and on Facebook following surgery:

"I made it. Details later."

The next morning:

"I am experiencing new levels of pain."

Over the next couple of days:

"Surgery went longer than expected. I will be spending an extra couple of days here before rehab. Biggest complication is nerve damage in my right leg. "

"I'm not able to eat. I never thought I'd write those words."

"Small world department.... my nurse yesterday is the girlfriend of the wheelbuilder at my bike shop. Strange...... how do you handle a conversation about bikes with a man whose girlfriend saw me naked and rubbed antibacterial lotion on my butt?"

"Yes, I am in CPM machines, and they are boring."

"No, the yellow socks the hospital gave me aren't my choice of color. It's part of the official kit for the Worksman Cycling Team. I'm going to be racing 50 pound industrial bikes..."

"My doctor stopped by. I said I was fine because I could get morphine by pushing a button. Then I pushed the button. I was reminded of a M*A*S*H episode for some reason."
 
Saw it right off the bat and got a great chuckle! So like you - and truly not just another pretty face :hysterical:

BTW, FYI If you want to tag Josephine--do the following: type Josephine (then right after her name a semi-colon). When you save your post the semi-colon becomes a colon and the whole thing turns blue.
 
No, Jo, I'm definitely not a mod on another forum---this is the only forum I've ever been on. I only pick and spend time on the best! :wink1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom