Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the present.... I have one week before I set off, and I'm not sure I know where I am going yet. But I have a rough idea:

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary

I have two weeks, and I'd love to do a loop through through the north part of the state, spending a day or two at Rickett's Glen with the waterfalls, and then another couple of days at Colton Point in PA's Grand Canyon, Pine Creek Gorge. Then swing out to Kinzua Bridge, and then head back to the south. Here's a closer look at where I'm going to spend most of my time:

[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary

Oh, and here's Kinzua Bridge in 2010:



As the state park system began to rehabilitate the century old bridge, a tornado came through and in 30 seconds destroyed half the structure. That took place in 2003; last year the remaining towers were repaired and an observation deck opened to the public.
 
Historian,

Thanks for the shout out on my recovery thread. I have read some of your posts and really enjoy the photos. Keep it going and Happy Trails.
 
Bad day yesterday. I hiked a bit more than a mile in a nearby park. Flat but even ground. My right knee was tight by the time I finished. At the end of the day both joints were tight. That said, I had a good time....










Oh, and at the end of my hike I met three cyclists riding from Maine to Key West. We chatted for a couple of minutes and I gave them directions to the state park they were camping at tonight:
 
Today's hike was a bit more than 3/4 of a mile, but there was some elevation change to it. I'm a little tight tonight, but not as bad as last night. Again its my right leg and my stamina that are the problems.
 
The scenery is just incredible. It makes me understand why you love these long hikes---but I am enjoy them vicariously which is much easier on my knees, feet, and back. You keep this up and your right leg will strengthen and your stamina will increase with time.
 
In light of my continued low stamina, and my struggles at getting off the ground, we have a change in plans. I am driving back out to western PA and will head out camping with my friend, the woman who has 11 years on her knee replacements. She proposes I use her big tent and a cot she has, so that way I won't need to get up off the ground. Rickett's Glen and the waterfalls are too far out of the way, but I can get to them another time. Life is long..... anyway there are still places to go and things to experience.
 
So true, Neil, and all those places you want to go and trails you want to hike will still be there waiting for you when you're ready for them. I'm so happy to see that you are taking things philosophically and doing what you are able to do and enjoy instead of just throwing in the towel because some things are just not possible at the moment. Even if you don't mean to be or want to be, you are an inspiration.
 
Three quarters of a mile today. We are expecting a massive rainstorm, and I felt it in the joints during the hike.

I leave for Western PA Monday morning. I'm plotting the route now.....
 
I'll be bringing a laptop with me, in case I pass through civilization somewhere and I can get a wireless signal. If so I'll update as I can. If not, see you in two weeks.

Oh, and I promise to not be this guy:

broken link removed: https://www.theblaze.com/stories/hiker-snaps-pictures-of-grizzly-bear-just-before-it-mauls-him-to-death/
 
I'm sure enjoying your photos!!!! Have a great trip and hope we get to see more of your travels.
 
I realize I'm beginning to resemble the scene in The Pirates of Penzance where the policemen march in place singing "Forward on the foe!", but my back is bothering me and I didn't get done yesterday all I needed to do. Postponing trip 24 hours.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Historian - recovery diary
Neil, I've missed you. Was just reminding myself that you weren't posting because of your trip. Neato pic. Looking forward to your report and more pics. Hubby will be going in for his surgeries Monday, but I'll be keeping tabs on the forum. Glad you're back!​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom