THR The fun part

April? That's 4 months post op. Worthy goal to keep you working on recovery. i hope the second goes as well as the first (with only the occasional visit to ODIC as you test the limits like any toddler)!
 
it is still :censored: cold when icing post op hips (I still ice first surgery hip once a day at least) and related swelling in November/December:ice: .
It's a lot easier to have THR in the summer, isn't it? It's easier to freeze the hip while not suffering hypothermia overall, shorts are sooo much easier than sweats to pull up with a grabber, and it's easier to go for a walk earlier in recovery. Living in BC must complicate all this even more, even though I know it's really' beautiful up yonder! My hat's off to you, doughty @Alitm!

I'm already having more anxiety about this recovery than you.:giggle:
I'm basing it on the recovery rate for New Good Hip aka Righty, which was in the "normal" zone by 3 months, easily. Can't say I'm gonna completely avoid the blighted halls of the ODIC completely (see SaraK's quote below), but I learned a ton first time thru, so I hope I can keep my visits to day trips.

i hope the second goes as well as the first (with only the occasional visit to ODIC as you test the limits like any toddler)!
Toddler. Too true! At least this time I know that I can't reliably use how I'm feeling in the moment as a guide to what I can reasonably do. I'll try to do Good - but it feels so good to do Bad!
 
Thinking of you, you're on my radar.
Hope you're able to get all you want done this weekend before your long winter's nap.
You know we'll be here to support, encourage and annoy you every step of the way.
Wishing you comfort as you await Wednesday.
@Bone-obo
 
Thinking of you, you're on my radar.
You are beyond sweet, Layla, and I appreciate that! Yes, I'm unpacking the grabber, checking out the Ossur Cold Rush (first time - should be fun), borrowing a walker, and getting out the potty seat. I've got a ton of movies and old TV shows set aside, a video game or two ready to play, and I've reviewed my notes from the last time 'round, with expectations of deviations from my prior experience here and there. And finally, I've informed the ODIC that while I'll probably be around from time to time (because toddlers gonna toddle), this time I'll be making day trips only, so don't reserve my regular room.

One new wrinkle: the anesthesiologist told me they'll be using fewer drugs this time. Soooooo maybe I'll wake up in the middle of surgery? I have a positive attitude about it - if I wake up in medias res, I'll just bug 'em with questions about what they're doing until they knock me out again.
 
One new wrinkle: the anesthesiologist told me they'll be using fewer drugs this time. Soooooo maybe I'll wake up in the middle of surgery?
Just tell staff you don't want to see or hear anything throughout the procedure. I was very firm about this pre-op RTHR as I had a bad experience the first time around. They totally understand and will watch constantly and make sure you are under.

Not long now!
 
And finally, I've informed the ODIC that while I'll probably be around from time to time (because toddlers gonna toddle), this time I'll be making day trips only, so don't reserve my regular room.

You're humor is beyond! Love it AND your plan if you wake up mid op.
Hope today is a good one!
 
Just tell staff you don't want to see or hear anything throughout the procedure.
Strangely, I really am cool about it - at least for now. By the time the IV goes in and the jitters are in full bloom I may (probably) decide that ignorance (or at least oblivion) really is bliss.

Hope today is a good one!
Thank you! Yes, stellar, thanks! We walked around the local shopping area for a few miles until New Bad Hip aka Lefty started to grumble - lots of excitement in the air! Fun!
 
:wave:You are going to do great and Christmas next year will be minus all this hip business!
:dancing:
Will be thinking of you Wednesday!
 
You are going to do great...
Odds are very good that this is true - same surgeon, same hospital, same patient, all committed to a good outcome. But emotionally speaking, in an odd way this may be harder; last time my activity level going in was so low that diving down the Netflix rabbit hole for weeks while attached limpet-like to a couch was no big whoop. This time, though, I've been walking - riding - doing things - and I've liked it. A lot. This "moving around" thing is okay! I've enjoyed it so much that now the prospect of being chained to the couch makes me feel like old Marley: a ghost of my former self, fettered and bound by TV's, walkers, and elevated potties.

...next year will be minus all this hip business!
And that's why I'm doing it: I'm greedy. Now I can only walk 2-3 miles at a time. If both hips are done, maybe I'll be able to walk 4. 8! 20!! I can put regular-size cranks on my trike, try out an upright bike again, go hiking.

And I know that the dips and swings in mood are just Things That Happen, and that a really crappy day will often be followed by a breakthrough day - and vice versa. I know the ODIC waits for me, beckoning, and that I'll play cat and mouse with the proprietor for the next couple of months. (Day trips, Rod! Remember: only day trips!) Heck, the pain was never the bad part; it was always the impatience. You had me pegged from the first, Mojo.

Now let's do it again!
 
We'll be right by your side..also you have all the Christmas classics to numb over...It's A Wonderful Life and your Christmas recovery Story...my job, proverbially, to make sure you don't shoot your eye out.:heehee:

Let's do this again!:reindeer:
 
Last edited:
You will soon be a member of the double hippie club! All this done and behind you. The feeling is great - no more hips to worry about. What a great Christmas present!
 
Thinking of you today. I'm sure all is in place and you're ready to roll.
You're a pro now, so it's going to be a piece of cake.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await tomorrow. We'll be looking forward to your first post.
A send off hug coming your way :friends:
@Bone-obo
 
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Let's plan a day trip for about 3 weeks from now (I figure I'll give myself a day or two before I'm ready for it). :heehee:
 
Remember to claim your two bags of ice!
 
Aww, you guys. I'm gonna get all verklempt!
Thinking of you today. I'm sure all is in place and you're ready to roll.
You're a pro now, so it's going to be a piece of cake.
I think so - like Santa, I've made a list and I'm checking it twice. Last time I got the crazy jitters around 10pm the night before - dunno how to prepare for that! I'm sticking with my strategy of procrastinating things to the last minute so I'm too busy to freak out. (Yes, it is too a strategy!)

Sending positive new hip vibes to you!!
Mmmmmm, I feel 'em! Thanks!

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow! Let's plan a day trip for about 3 weeks from now (I figure I'll give myself a day or two before I'm ready for it). :heehee:
If you're ready for an outing in 3 weeks, I'll walk to Missouri to meet you! More likely, our outing will be to the nearest franchise of the ODIC. (Are they a franchise? If so, I'd invest in one - there's obviously tons of repeat business.)
 
Wishing you the best @Bone-obo. I don't think I like the idea of less anesthesia, the sheer thought of hearing anything during surgery would have me cancelling it in two seconds flat!!

I have to agree on the icing in the winter - it's the pits. I have always been warm by nature (I wear shorts year around, the ceiling fan is on at night and the bedroom window open as far as I dare open before hubs is complaining) -- that has NOT been the case since the 2nd new hip came to live with us! I now ice with an electric blanket on my lap (and in bed)!!!

I do hope this recovery goes smooth sailing for you!!!

See you on the other side as you join the "double-hippy" club!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom