THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Becky. That mask has been dangling in front of me for awhile but I have been so busy with them that I didn't want to put it on but I believe you are right. i am a teacher( retired) as well by the way.
 
Holy Monkeys BeckyR! I hop on a plane for a couple of days and you're tickling the ivory keyboard like your playing flight of the bumblebee! You must be doing fantastic as there wasn't one typo so I know the meds are not messing with you. This really is great to see and hear of your bullet train like recovery. The Super Path procedure sounds interesting and wonder when it will find its way to Japan.

I agree with everyone that without the wife/husband it would be difficult. Look at me, I'm not the one having surgery and at times have drawn on her inner strength to bolster my own. Those that went through this alone deserve our special admiration and support. Bravo and hats off to them all.

Oh! Happy anniversary!! May the good Lord bless you with at least 24 more! Gotta run, off to another SE Asia sweat box. I will be checking in and look forward to your continued good news! Remember, better times are a head!

The best to you and your husband

Mike
 
BeckyR thanks for the advice and kind words. I'm still a bit nervous about the surgery, but not half as much as I was before I found BoneSmart! This site is simply amazing, and the stories told are inspirational. I had all of my pre op tests done yesterday, and tomorrow is the Joint Replacement Class at the hospital. It's a reality!!!
 
Goody2Shoes3, There are so many teachers and former teachers on this site! I'm glad you feel better about "putting on the oxygen" mask rather than feeling guilty about it. It will not be easy, with all the challenges you are facing, and I hope that you can find the support you need to help with your son and your mom while you take care of your own medical needs. Please keep me posted, and I will watch your thread.

mbtokyo, You are so mysterioso, always jetting off hither and yon, Mike. In my mind, you are a kind of James Bond-ish figure, married to a radiant Japanese ballerina. (007 wasn't the marrying kind, but times change.) I continue to do well, but have learned that recovery is not a straight path. There are ups and downs in the course of each day. It has only been a week for me, but I'm already becoming impatient. Must work on that! Being halfway patient for a week is not suffient. Is there a reason they call us "patients" when we are NOT?????

Yes, my typing prowess is legendary among my students. They call me -- crackerjack! I have the handwriting of an ax-murderer, because it is so much easier to type and keep up with my thoughts. Sometimes, I'll be writing an e-mail to a parent, and a student will come up to me, and I'll have a conversation with the student while continuing to compose and type the letter. That totally freaks them OUT!!! They don't know how I can do it.

I actually have a Selectric typewriter in my classroom, which I use for completing certificates and various things. Few of the kids have ever seen a typewriter -- it's an antique to them -- and it thrills them. The love the correcting tape that lifts errors off the page. They all beg to use it, and sign up on a waiting list to have 15 minutes at the typewrite to complete an assignment. They think it is the coolest thing ever -- more than their iPads, etc. They may have a dinosaur for a teacher, but at least I come with my dinosaur artifacts! I tell them that the reason I love ancient history so much is that I've lived through so much of it. Of course, all history is ancient, to them.

Hope your wife is doing well, and is confident and comfortable with her plan forward. Fly away, fly away, 007!
 
Jojool, The pre-op tests and the class are the rites of passage. You are on your way! :iagree: :dancy: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Jojool, FYI -- the "stab wound" is on the top of my thigh, and the incision is above it, above the leg joint. It amazed me how hard it was to answer your question. Hope this helps!
 
Face to face with reality today...so much for high spirits and bravado!

Went out for a short walk this afternoon, with Spence, planning to go to the mailbox (Paris!) and back. I didn't actually go the other day, although I thought about it. Thought it would be the simplest thing, because I've felt so great walking around our home. Outside, however, it was a great big walk, and when I got as far as our car (a very short distance -- about 1/4 of the distance planned) I realized I needed to turn around and go back, so that I wouldn't get stranded midway. Wow! I felt as though I'd run five miles. Got back inside, out of breath, sat down and drank water until I cooled off. At that point, the endorphins started to kick in, just as they would have if I'd walked for miles.

At first, I felt badly, because it was such a short distance, but then I felt great, because I did what I was able to do and felt as though I'd had a workout afterward. Next time, I'll go one or two cars further before turning back. It is a building process, and you have to start from where you are and not compare yourself with anyone else.

One day at a time!
 
bottomshollow, I saw Marcopollo's scar posting today, and realized that the special thread is still the place to post, even though it says 2012. Could you please move my scar posting to that thread, and remove it from mine? I didn't mean to do anything inappropriate, but today, when I was on that thread, I saw that we aren't supposed to post scar pictures elsewhere.

Thanks so much for your help! You are our techie guru!
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters
Well, I'm not much of a techie guru as I am unable to move that post. It may be because of the picture attachments. But it won't move for me. I'll see what I can find out.
 
Yeah the old heck it isn't that far, I can do it with my eyes closed. The important thing is that you tried. Okay so today you did not make it but tomorrow try again. You might only make it past the car but you have a goal in front of you that is close and before you know it . Poof you made your goal and have set another goal. Peace be with you
 
bottomshollow, Hi, Judy, Thanks for your help. I don't mind if the picture stays on my thread. I just didn't want to do anything to conflict with the way it should be done on the forum. No need to move it if it is OK where it is! Have a great day!
 
tikipadre, Wow! Your scar from 1998 looks wonderful! Such a clean, straight line. Now you will have a matched pair. :rotfl: :rofsign:
 
marcopollo, Hello, my brave explorer hippie buddy! How are you doing? Is your recovery going well? Hope you are getting some nice signs of progress and healing. How has the home health care and PT been working out for you? :flwrysmile: :SUNsmile: :tada:
 
Hello, Friends,

Today has been a really good day so far. Yesterday, I tried cutting way back on my pain meds, because I thought maybe I didn't need them to the same extent, and that was a mistake. By evening, I was really worn out and had quite a lot of pain. When I went back on them, things were much better. There is a part of me that thinks I really shouldn't get too reliant on something like oxy, despite everything I've read on the site, but it's clear that I still need it. Now that I'm back on it, I don't feel drugged, just normal/fine.

Great PT session this morning. My blood pressure was down to 128/80, which is lower than it had been, and I was relieved, because it made me nervous to see high readings, even though I understand that is because of the surgery. My breathing with the little breathing toy is much better, especially when I'm on the pain meds. My concern about my lung was a key reason I tried cutting back, because I was afraid that the oxy would depress my breathing, but it has had the opposite effect. Everything is healing very well.

My home health care PT, Sydney (yes -- she was named after the city in Australia!), told me that she didn't expect me to be doing all of the exercises we went through last time at this point. She was establishing a baseline and testing my strength, but I thought I should be doing the whole circuit of things every day, which made me feel I wasn't making the progress I should be. Such a guilt-trip we sometimes place on ourselves! Today, Sydney showed me the few things I should be doing right now between visits, and it was very reassuring to realize I didn't need to do all the standing exercises, etc.

We went for a walk outside, and I was able to go all the way to the mailbox and back -- about three times what I did yesterday -- and felt great. So much better to do it in the morning, when I have maximum energy for the day, rather than late in the afternoon, when I'm at my lowest point. And now, for the rest of the day, I can relax, read, do ankle pumps, and know that I've accomplished what I need to do by 10:00 a.m.

Feels so good just to be alive, and to be on the recovery trail. I feel about 10 years younger than before the surgery!

Have a great day, and a great weekend, everyone!
 
BeckyR All the way to Paris and back....wonderful!!. I had to use one of those little breathing exercisers as well when I had surgery 15 years ago.The operation ended up being twice as long as planned....maybe that is why one lung collapsed....not sure. However if you are like me, the exercises will give you back your lung capacity.
 
BeckyR, congrats on your Paris trip! What a big difference a day makes, eh? And maybe the pain meds helped? I have cut back to just the 2/day oxy and haven't had any of the "as needed" for a few days now. An occasional Tylenol after PT here and there. My pain levels have been so much lower than I anticipated. I do get stiff after laying around for a while so my getting up when nature calls (and she calls often) gets me up on the crutches and helps with the stiffness. Sometimes being up and walking feels better than laying.
I have had two PT sessions and they have given me a list of exercises to do 2-3 times a day. I tolerate them pretty well, though the leg abductions (both standing and laying) seem to be the hardest. They promise to move me to a cane when they come next week. I have already been cheating and using one occasionally...easier to carry something when walking around house. You on crutches or walker, Becky?
Do you get OT? They made sure I had all the tools and tricks to get around, dress myself, pick things up off of the floor, etc. She came once and maybe once more next week.
Your attitude, Becky, seems to be so positive. I think that is such a big part of a successful THR. That and the info and support we get and give on this forum. I think BoneSmart should be required for all hip and knee replacements (hip replacements are "hippies"...what are knee replacement people called)?
Anyway, here is to a wonderful afternoon for you today, Becky. And to another easier trip to Paris soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom