THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about leaning on your man for the next few weeks...I am sure he leaned on you when he was down also and is happy to return the favor. You are so blessed to have a supportive spouse...it makes all the difference in the world to your recovery.
BeckyR, I couldn't agree more!!! :iagree: Happy Happy Anniversary to you both! I think a walk through Paris sounds very dreamy! Love to you both!!

Nancy
 
I could blather on and on and on, but figure eh you know we care about you otherwise we would not post to your blog. So that being said hmmm let's see we could talk about the weather but, eh not much change from yesterday. We could swap recipes, but you are not in any condition to stand over a hot stove and cook. So that leaves sports and everyone know that there is always next year in baseball and WTH were you thinking trading all that for cutler in football. Or better yet we could talk about you recovering, and right now the important things can be summed up in four words "rest, ice, elevate and meds" after that drive i figured a you had taken your meds, already had your leg up with a bag of ice on it. That left only rest. So i used my Sherlock Holmes sharp detection skills and gave a shout out for rest. Whew enough chatting i am already tired and need a nap from all this typing. I would probably be able to sleep better but Sue is right next to me snoring up a storm, and the Good Lord knows she needs her sleep taking care of me. Peace be with you.
 
nmscienceteacher randy62 Shadow09 nmay51, Thank you for the good updates, smiles, and wisdom,

Yes, it is right for me to be able to lean on my husband without guilt. We've always said, "Together we're invincible." Now, it is his chance to be the bringer of invincibility. I know from experience that it feels good to help the one you love, and I should be able to trust that it runs in both directions, after so much daily proof.

nmscienceteacher, I do have an understanding administrator. When I met with him the day school ended (to turn in my keys, etc.) I updated him on my surgery and told his I was really hopeful that I could return at the beginning of school. I was chatting on and on, doing contingency planning out loud, and saying how much I think it mattered to be there at the beginning of school. He listened to it all, and then said, "That sounds great, and we want you back, too, but you need to do what's good for you. Whatever happens, we'll make it work. You need to take care of yourself." I felt such a huge load roll off my shoulders when he said that. He's a former coach, not a micromanager, and does all he can to shield us from the political misery schools all face these days. A good man. He values commitment, and hates gossip, but as you can see, he's there for us when it matters.

Spoke to the PT a few minutes ago, and I'm going to follow your advice and book for the morning when I'm feeling fresher.

Love to you all.
 
Hello, friends,

Day 5 post-op went pretty well. Visits from home healthcare people....really nice. I start PT at home tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. The home healthcare nurse just left after spending about 90 minutes here. I have severely diminished lung function in my right lung (operated side), and they are going to have home healthcare nurses visit me twice a week to make sure that it gets taken care of. More instructions on that breathing toy, on not taking pain pills and anything to sleep close to the same time, etc. My weight was up about 12 pounds from the day before surgery (so depressing!), but the nurse hugged me and said that might be what was causing the breathing problem, and that it was the body's way of protecting itself -- holding on to all the water I drink and not releasing it. The swelling in my leg and hip, etc. She will be following up on all that.

The nurse changed my dressing and trained my husband on how to do it, although the visiting nurses will take care of it for the next couple of weeks as well. I saw the incision for the first time, using a mirror. It is about 2 inches long and is already closed and healing perfectly. What I called the "stab wound" is closed. It turned out that the "stab wound" is where the OS inserts a CAMERA inside a catheter, to guide the entire surgical process. That's how they do the "ship in a bottle technique." Hard to believe.

My 3-in-1 commode was delivered and installed, and the nurse explained to me how to use that in the shower so that I can take my showers by myself, with my husband on hand to make sure nothing goes wrong, and I won't need an aide to come train me on how to use the shower.

I have thrush (candidiasis) in my mouth -- probably a reaction to the antiobiotics used in the hospital -- and they are going to give me what they call a swish-and-swallow mouthwash to knock it out. My husband had that while being treated for cancer, and I remember it worked almost instantly.

What most impresses me is that my OS seems to have built a 360 degree cushion of care around the entire procedure. He has selected and trained certain providers for every phase of the care process, and gives them all of his business as long as his patients are treated properly. If they mess up, they lose all of his business, so his patients get absolutely top priority.

More to follow -- sweet dreams to all.
 
BeckyR, my hippie buddy. Looks like we share a lot more than just our RTHR dates. I am so happy that you too have a loving supportive spouse. Sounds like you hubby is best of breed as well as my wife, Beth. I understand what it is like to have someone there for you unconditionally giving support and aid. I knew it would be hard for me to accept help, from her and my many friends who have offered. But when I let go and let it pour in, I find it feels right and easy...I hope for you, too. I cared for Beth when she had her surgery a few years back (nothing like what you and your Hubby went through...and yes, I am shooting up the Lovenox daily) but it seems that she takes joy in caring for me as I did for her. I am sure he feels the same towards you. But we did discuss respite for her BEFORE she gets cranky...I suggest the same! :console2:

Sorry to hear about your lung and mouth issues. I am sure hope they will clear-up right away with the proper attention and care from your Home Health. Sounds like they are on top of things that you will need from them and work with you to make it right for the both of you. I have my first Home Health tomorrow, and I am looking forward to seeing what the game plan will be.

Nice to hear your OS has such a good team of providers working with him and that they are following thru. I have yet to hear from anyone at my OS's office, though I got a call today from the hospital that I missed. Don't know if that was his people or ?? Maybe the 300 mile distance has something to do with it and I get my own Home Health and PCP to care for me post-op. He said I can call any time though and I have a follow-up 6 weeks out. When do you see him again?

I weighed myself last night and was 9 pounds over pre-op. But I weighed again today and was down 4 of those pounds. I hope they all come off quickly with the resumption of my water pills and keeping the swelling down. And just the general body healing. I'm sure they will for you, too.

And Happy Anniversary, you two! :cheers:
 
BeckyR Yikes! I remember that song Dance with me Henry. Shows how old I am, I guess.

Congratulations on your recovery -- I only hope I do half as well as you.
 
Becky, it sounds as if things are moving along...I gained about 11pounds fron pre surgery weight to when I went home and got on the scale. I am now almost 6 weeks out and have lost14 pounds so all the water weight is gone plus a bit...but I have a fair amount of extra to start working on.
I guess your breathing toy needs to be your best friend for a while till your lungs really wake up. Remember to rest, ice and elevate...did I mention rest? By this time next week your thrush should be gone, your lungs should be workin better and you will be able to get around much more easily. I am jealous of your itty bitty scar. My surgery wasn't all smooth sailing and my scar was 47 staples worth...close to 16 inches my husband says...so yours seems very small!!! Take care and settle into being pampered a bit.
 
Good morning BeckyR and I do hope that you and your lovely husband had a very happy anniversary.:flwrysmile: Flowers from me from the UK. Having a loving and supportive partner is so important throughout this whole hip journey. We celebrated our 45thWA in May and I just don't know what I would have done without Mike over the past year. Who elso would have wrapped me in a duvet and comforted me when I howled through the bone-on-bone pain, accompanied me to see OS and spoke my thoughts when I was too ill and debilitated to speak for myself ( a new experience for him!) , supported me when I said I couldn't wait ten months for an op on the NHS ( the waiting-lists in our part of London are some of the longest in the country) and didn't blink an eyelid when we were told the op would cost £11220 - from our retirement savings - to be done at a private hospital. He also attended daily to my horrible compression stockings for six weeks , helped me in and out of the shower, dressed my wound and did a thousand and one other kindnesses to assist my recovery including massaging me. He worked in construction all his life before retiring and I still can't get over how he took to the home nursing. BeckyR we are truly blessed. I can't get over how small your scar is - two inches - mine is four inches and I still have , five months after surgery, a large contusion half way down the scar. Immediately after surgery, my buttock and my leg to my knee were the colour of a blackberry. The OS who performed my surgery has an excellent reputation and told me after the op that my hip was 'very nasty'. I too had bone spurs and bone-on-bone. I have OA in my left hip but not to the extent of the right one and if I have to have that replaced I will certainly ask a lot more questions and also try and bypass the general anaesthetic as it throws my diabetes balance out for weeks. Thanks to this site and all the wonderful advice and support I am now far better informed re OA and the choices that can be made. I wish you very well BeckyR and hope you continue to make excellent progress. :dancy: Take care, dear. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: xRos
 
randy62 Nylsor marcopollo nmscienceteacher Butterfly, Thank you all for your great thoughts. First things first...Randy! I am SOOO sorry it my comment about writing styles hurt your feelings. It wasn't intended that way. Sometimes things come out wrong when we write them instead of speaking them. I really do love your comments, your sense of humor, and your wonderful relationship with your wife. One thing that has come through on this site is how many of us have really strong relationships with our husbands and wives. A wonderful thing to see. I have found that the writing on this site really makes people come alive, and is very nuanced. So many diffferent personalities come through. I meant to comment on the different qualities I enjoyed in people's styles, and I truly appreciate your caring, your ongoing comments, your sincerity, and your great sense of humor.

Things are better already, although I have had to face up to the fact that this really is major surgery, and not just a walk in the park. It is not like getting a tooth filled. I'm relieved to learn that the water weight has come off pretty quickly for the rest of you. I've been drinking so much water, but it seems to go in, and not come out.

I've gotten religion about the foot pumps and breathing toy. My PT came today and put me through a series of exercises and stretches. It felt good to move again, and I was pleased to see how many things I can do. We practiced walking all around the house with only a cane instead of the walker, although I can't do that on my own for the time being. I'll have another session with Sydney, the PT, on Friday, and then three sessions next week. I also see my OS again next week -- on Thursday, two weeks after surgery - and can stop taking the Xarelto at that point.

My husband's son and his family sent me gorgeous flowers, which came today. They live in Washington state, clear across the country, and it brightened my spirits to receive the magnificent roses.

Now, what you've all been waiting for with bated breath -- reflections on the US healthcare system! I've learned so much from this international forum about the strengths and weaknesses of the systems in so many different countries. I've also learned more than I care to about navigating the US system, even when you have "good" insurance, because of the many challenges my husband has surmounted. Earlier in life, I studied health care policy as part of a graduate program in public policy, and both my husband and I worked as organizational consultants on things like managing change, organizational climate, etc. So this experience, being in the middle of the health care system as a patient with a serious issue, really prompted a lot of thought:

It is possible, in the US, to get magnificent health care, absolutely state of the art, and to be treated as a sentient human being, not just so much beef on the hoof. But to do that, you really need to do your homework, and navigate an incredibly complex system, when you really don't even know what questions to ask. Bonesmart was so valuable for me in this area, and I believe I got much better treatment than I would have otherwise. Also, our system leaves millions of people completely out of the loop, unable to get care at all for things like hip and knee replacement, which are considered "elective." Yes, it's elective, but forget about having a worthwhile life if you can't get the surgery. And even in the best case scenario, we really need to be active caretakers of our own lives and bodies and in charge of our own medical care/medical team. We can't simply hand ourselves over the the "experts" and expect to get a good result. It takes hard work, follow-through, self-advocacy skills, and commitment, to get good results.

Canada, England, and Australia have found ways to provide treatment for all, but it sounds as though there is a lot of bureaucracy to overcome, and there can be long waiting times to receive treatment. It also isn't clear to me how much choice you have about which surgeon or type of procedure is used. Am I mistaken about this? Watching so many of you navigate the system has raised many questions for me.

As "Obamacare" is phased in, I truly hope that it opens the door to good medical care for all the people who have been left out. But I also hope that the strengths of the US system are maintained.

I waited until this month so that I could have Medicare and a Medicare supplement, which is the single best experience of my life as a healthcare consumer. I have genuinely free choice, and never see a bill (except for my monthly payments, which are well worth it to me). My doctor has built an amazing system of 360 degree care that takes care of his patients from the moment we decide to work with him through the total healing process. My experience has been that everyone on his team -- nurses, receptionists, billing people, everyone -- is thrilled to be working with him, proud of his excellence, and totally dedicated to customer care. This has not been my experience elsewhere, and I will be changing my primary care physician after I totally recover, as a result of all the bumps in the road before surgery. (For example, as another writer commented on this forum, just getting the preop clearance sent in on time was a nightmare.)

The home healthcare nurse who came yesterday told me that he has selected his providers (like the company she works for, as well as a rehab center, etc.) and told them that he will refer ALL of his patients who choose to continue working with him after surgery, but that if even ONE patient has a bad experience, he will pull the entire account. So we are treated like living gods and goddesses. Every staff member on these outside organizations has my doctor's personal cell phone number, and can call him at any time (although I don't think anyone abuses this). He also gave me his cellphone number after my first visit, which was a huge trust-builder, although I never used it. My sense is that he has built an "organization" of people who don't even work for him, as well as those who do, entirely focused on superb and sensitive patient care, and achieving results that are as perfect as can be obtained by medical art and science. This experience has just knocked my socks off. Everybody knows what everybody else is doing on behalf of the patient. And none of this is managed by bureaucracy -- it is simply the way he has set it up. Imagine what life would be like if every doctor practiced this way. There is no unnecessary care simply to build a bill, but nothing that is needed is withheld. As a former organizational consultant, I am in awe of what he has done. There is an ethos and a value system behind the way he practices, and I am so grateful that I found him and was able to have this kind of surgery.

It seems to me that if other doctors practiced this way, their reputations and practices would soar, because their patients would be living, walking advertisements for their competence and success. But I've found a lot of mechanization and coldness in the system, over the years. My husband and I have had a few doctors who have many of the elements discussed above, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Fortunately, my husband's oncologist is the same type of person, though I've never experienced the full power of integrated services like what is happening now.

I'd be interested in thoughts and comments from others who are here in the "meat grinder." Are you being treated as a feeling individual, and a full partner in your care, or more as a specific body part -- a hip, a knee, etc.

Love and prayers for speedy healing and happiness to everyone reading this.
 
BeckyR you did not hurt my feelings, i tried to explain why they are short and to the point. I disagree on obamacare, but that is a personal thing. Peace be with you
 
randy62 So glad I didn't hurt your feelings. It's easy to misunderstand things in e-mails. There are so many different opinions on Obamacare. I hope it will work, but am not sure, because of some of the challenges that have to be dealt with. It is just hard for me to imagine not having access to healthcare or being able to obtain it, and so many people are in that position through no fault of their own. One way or the other, things are going to change, as they did when Social Security was enacted, and then Medicare. I'm not old enough to remember the birth of Social Security, but I do remember when Medicare began -- I was in college at that time.
 
Recovery rule #1 -- Never sweat the small stuff.
Recovery rule #2 -- It's all small stuff!

Things are going pretty well. I'm working on developing more patience. Emotional ups and downs during the day. Mornings are best, then I get very tired, and nights can be uncomfortable trying to stay in one position (or turn over) and having to get up all the time for the bathroom. One thing I've learned (re: randy62 's comments) is that if you think you may want to go to the bathroom, don't wait a single second, or your won't get there in time. Not much warning time! I found out I can stop the Xarelto on Saturday, instead of Wednesday, which is good, because the blood thinners are a little scary to me, although I have reason to be grateful for them.

Hope you are all doing well. I re-read your posts because they make me feel so much better. What a great group of hippies!

Love and hugs.
 
You know BeckyR you made a comment earlier that i just might like to expound upon. You stated that it appears that the majority of us here have supporting spouses. Could you imagine trying to go through this with out your husband? Or me without my wife. I think that the people that go through this alone have to have such an inner strength. I without a doubt would not have been able to go through this procedure without my Sue. I say that because she has done so much for mr when it was not possible for me to do it myself.
 
randy62, I have often thought of that. My best friend from college did do it on her own. She had both hips done (not at the same time), and had to pay the whole thing herself, too. She had some friends come in, but she was on her own. She was so glad to get it done. She was my first inspiration when I realized I needed this. It sounds, from your posts, as though Sue has a great sense of humor. My husband, Spence, does, too. I've always said that women will do anything for a man who can make them laugh! We have wonderful teams on this site, and are so blessed. I loved what you said about you and Sue being great for each other. When we fell in love, Spence and I agreed that neither of us was perfect, but we were perfect for each other. And so it has been!
 
BeckyR. You sound fabulous! I too reread posts because the are so encouraging. My most restless and irritating time is the sleeping hours. I'm so restless and I can't get comfortable!! I move around ever so carefully and cannot get comfortable. By that time I'm completely awake. I sleep every other night. Last night I slept. You know what that means for me tonight... :thud:

Sweet dreams,
Nancy
 
BeckyR and randy62 - I was alone for most of my recovery and there are many here who have had the same experience. The lifeline for me was this site - literally. The cyber friendships formed are truly unique and many times long lasting. Guess that's why (3 years later) I am still here.

You both sound great! Keep up the good work!
 
BeckyR... I loved this... Your OS has a wonderful approach to caring for his patients - all about team work..

What most impresses me is that my OS seems to have built a 360 degree cushion of care around the entire procedure. He has selected and trained certain providers for every phase of the care process, and gives them all of his business as long as his patients are treated properly. If they mess up, they lose all of his business, so his patients get absolutely top priority
 
Canada, England, and Australia have found ways to provide treatment for all, but it sounds as though there is a lot of bureaucracy to overcome, and there can be long waiting times to receive treatment. It also isn't clear to me how much choice you have about which surgeon or type of procedure is used. Am I mistaken about this? Watching so many of you navigate the system has raised many questions for me.​

Good morning BeckyR , I do hope that your recovery is continuing. Mike and I were most interested to read of the systems of healthcare in the US. We have visited the US and have also met, and chatted to, many US citizens on our travels. When we were cruising the Caribbean in 2011, I had a most interesting chat to a US couple who told me that the reason Obama was having difficulties with his healthcare reforms was because many people did not understand how it was to be funded ( including themselves). I'm not going to pretend I understand the nuances of healthcare funding in the US because I don't. We have often commented on how difficult it must be to institute national reforms in a country as vast as the US with such a diverse population and needs.
Healthcare in the UK is funded by the taxpayer in the form of National Insurance contributions. That means a percentage of your salary is removed at source in the same way as PAYE income tax. If you are self-employed you pay in the form of a quarterly bill. If you are not working (unemployed, student, retired,etc) you do not pay at all. The government adds to this money. The NHS currently costs this country in excess of £100 billion per annum. However, no-one pays for anything apart from those who pay prescription charges who are a minority. If you have a chronic illness ( like me, Type 1 diabetes) you do not pay for any drugs whatsoever whether associated with your chronic illness or not. I've been Type 1 for 37 years so must have cost the NHS a fortune in drugs. I am a well-controlled diabetic and have done what I'm told so have never been hospitalised. Not so with many others of my acquaintance. Doctor's appointments are free whether GP/ consultant/specialist. Inpatient / outpatient care is free. All surgical procedures, PT, OT is free.
The drawbacks are that you are unable to choose which consultant you see. If you require to attend a hospital outpatient clinic you will be allocated a time and a clinic relating to your needs. Who you get to see is a lottery. The time you will wait for your outpatient appointment / operation is also a lottery. I live in Greater London and the waiting time for a hip / knee replacement op in the area in which I live is ten to eighteen months. We have, for some unknown reason, some of the longest waiting-lists in the entire country for these ops. When I wrote and complained I was told that there is a huge demand for orthopaedic services in this area. When I first posted on BoneSmart and stated the length of the waiting list, other UK members quoted waiting times as low as three weeks in their area. Because the waiting list was so long, I decided to have my op privately and it cost me £11220 in a local private hospital. This included the surgeon's fee, who I chose myself, and the fee of the anaesthetist. I had to pay additionally for PT - she visited me once at home for 30 minutes and it cost me £50.00. I was hospitalised for six days and needed three blood transfusions. I had an all-inclusive package so they were no additional costs. Prior to the op I was visited at home by an Occupational Therapist for one hour - free. I had an appointment with my OS four weeks after the op when he discharged me from his care. And that was it. I haven't seen anyone since. I don't know what type of op / implant I had either. It wasn't mentioned that I could have this op done under a spinal and not a general anaesthetic. I would have preferred a spinal as GA's throw my diabetic control haywire. I'm sure if I had asked, all my questions would have been answered, but until I found this site post-op I was very ignorant in matters relating to THR and wouldn't have known what questions to ask anyway. The bottom line is that no-one in the UK , whether poor or rich, goes without healthcare. Some people choose to have private health insurance. That is their perogative and choice. However, they will still have to pay National Insurance contributions where applicable so in effect they pay extra but can also access NHS provision whenever they like. I don't have private insurance, because as a diabetic the cost would be huge even if I could find a company to insure me, but if I choose to pay privately to relieve pain and avoid waiting-lists that is also my choice. I will add that the OS who did my op in a private hospital also works for the NHS in our local hospital. He has an excellent reputation and has worked in this area for more than twenty years. If I had been placed on his NHS list I would have waited for eighteen months for my op. I paid and waited just two weeks. I got my life back. I was fortunate that we have retirement savings and I was able to find the money. If I had waited on the NHS list, I would now be in a wheelchair ( I could hardly walk) and wearing morphine patches which was the suggestion made at the NHS outpatient clinic. I was fortunate to have a choice. :flwrysmile: x Ros
 
Nylsor so let me see if i totally understand what you are saying. You pay for your healthcare with taxes and have no choice as to whom performs your surgery and because you can not get a service from a surgeon within a reasonable amount of time you pay an additional fee to have this done privately, but you get to choose who performs the surgery. What happens to the people that can not afford to go private, they just hang out and wait until the line goes down?
When I say you pay with taxes it is a percentage of your income before taxes, plus for all the unemployed you pay with your income tax for their healthcare. Just wondering with the VAT and income taxes and luxury fees and petro tax what is your total percentage of income that you pay in taxes?
Just to let you know i believe it was money well spent.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom