THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
cornishhedge, So sorry you are going through so many challenges. I hope you are cleared for surgery soon, because you'll feel so much better once you are on the other side.

B4goldie, How wonderful to learn that my experience was reassuring to you! That is the magical thing about a forum like this...that you unexpectedly get just what you need. Yes, in the hospital, I felt like an Olympian, sailing through the hallway with my walker, with the music from "Chariots of Fire" playing in my mind. Then, at home, recovering nicely, to find walking so much harder. What Sydney, my PT, told me today really made me feel better, because now I understand what is going on. So glad it helped you, too. Don't feel badly about rambling on my thread. I enjoy having you stop by for a visit here in my virtual living room. Would you like a cup of chamomile tea?

The Percocet (oxycontin) is too strong for me now. I've stepped down to the Vicodin/hydrocodone. I think that going back on the NSAIDS, because I'm no longer taking the blood thinners, has helped, and also, I really AM recovering. Important to notice the signs of progress, supports you don't need any longer, etc..

Stay strong!
 
sandpiper ..... thank you and yes, I am thankful for my life. That is what I must tell myself. It was a head on collision .... double fatality. So if this is what I must endure, then at least I am here .... I have an AmAZinG husband a daughter (10) and son (7). Many great friends, co-workers, friends from the kids school. I gave up church after the accident but sometimes wonder now. Life is definitely a journey, everything happens for a reason and we always need to reach out to find the positives in a crappy situation.... for me, that's how I've survived. ;)
 
BeckyR I hope you can start on time too! It does make things simpler, but be prepared in case ;) And even if its a month, embrace it, you must be a 100%.... you have a very demanding job.... being pulled every direction all day! Plus the nightly work :)I Be sure you are feeling ready! Sounds like you are moving along nicely ;) Hope today is sunshiney!
I was a bad girl last night and did some tidying up ... felt good :)
 
B4goldie, thank you. I am so glad you survived that terrible accident. Despite all the pain and challenges, you have a special appreciation for the meaning and joys of life, which are so often the very simplest things. I'm glad you are finding yourself able to do some additional things. It's great even to be able to tidy up a little bit, isn't it?
 
BeckyR after my surgery last August, I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks. Now that I am 50% I find it is making the world of difference!
 
B4goldie. Wow! 2 fatalities. How awful. Thank goodness you are here with such a wonderful family!!! It's so difficult to make sense of something like that . My biggest challenge with my faith is that I question "why". Some people can just accept things. I struggle with that.
What happened to you was unfair but I can see that your are an extraordinary person. Maybe the answer to the " why" is still yet yo come.
In any event, I am so happy that your recovery is going well! You are an inspiration to us!!
 
Hello, Friends!

So much good news to share today, with some twists and turns on the journey. Two weeks out, and I feel such a sense of progress! Yesterday (Tuesday) I went for a walk in the afternoon -- to Paris (aka the mailbox) and back -- and really wasn't eager to go. It was late afternoon, boiling hot, and I was at my low point for the day, but I had promised my PT that I'd do it, because walking is supposed to be the single most important thing we can do for recovery. I can't say I enjoyed it. It felt very strenuous, even though I stopped several times to catch my breath, but I did complete the journey. Once I cooled off at home, I felt much better, and the endorphins kicked in.

At that point, I began to face up to reality in terms of being able to go back to school on time. Even though I believe I've been making great progress, I admitted to myself that I'm unlikely to have a sudden burst of healing and be able to leap tall buildings at a single bound when I am now working at maximum output to take a walk that is less than 1/4 mile. At work, we hit the ground running and don't stop until the end of the day. Few people realize how strenuous teaching can be. I need to be on my feet, circulating, managing about 130 6th graders (11-12 years old) throughout the day. The only time I can go to the bathroom is at lunchtime. I need to focus on all their needs and issues, the things they do to each others, the emotional ups and downs, not to mention the actual teaching that goes on.

Right now, I can't get through an entire day sitting up, let alone doing all that. And even with rapid progress, I won't be able to do it 2-3 weeks from now. Moreover, a teacher can't go back part-time. You are either back, or you are not. I wouldn't be much use to my students, not to mention myself.

With all this in mind, I made the phone call to get papers for something called the "Sick Leave Bank." I joined it when I started teaching nine years ago. Basically, if you join, you donate one day of your sick leave to the bank, and then -- if you have a catastrophic illness, or major surgery, or an accident -- anything that puts you out of commission for an extended time -- you can draw on the Sick Leave Bank in increments of 20 days. You need two physicians to certify that you need it, and if you need more than 20 days you have to recertify. But it's not a bad process, and you can draw up to 75 days in a three-year period. Twice during my years of teaching the Bank has come back and drawn an additional day of my sick leave so that they can keep the Sick Leave Bank up where it needs to be to meet current needs.

Once you are granted the block of up to 20 days, you first have to draw down your own sick leave, and then you can access the days that have been granted. If you return to work before you've used them all, they revert to the Bank. It's a WONDERFUL system, because if you need to use it, you are still on full pay, with benefits, and don't have to access other insurance you may have (like short-term or long-term disability) which only pay a portion of your salary.

In any case, I realized that I needed to get this into place so that it is there if I need it, even if I only need to use a few of those days. But this was a face-up with reality that needed to happen, and my principal has been very encouraging and supportive re: my need to put my own recovery first.

Well, immediately after this happened, I suddenly found that I could walk around the house without the walker, and without even a cane. It didn't feel perfect, but it did feel close to normal. It's as if the afternoon walk, and the confrontation with reality, released me from something, and I moved forward to a new phase of recovery. That's how it happens. Sometimes we are slogging inch by inch through the muck, and sometimes there's a big leap forward.

I can now stand up from a seated position without using my hands, and it is so much easier to make transitions and to get around. My PT came this morning and we went for the same walk to Paris and back -- a significant part of it without the walker -- and it was so much easier than yesterday. My exercises are easier, too.

BTW, my PT works with a lot of patients who have been through the SuperPath surgery, as well as many (from other surgeons) who have not. She told me that my rate of recovery has been faster even than most of the SuperPath patients, and she thinks my OS will be very pleased when he sees me tomorrow. We agreed that much of the difference can be attributed to attitude, and to the availability of support. There is no way to quantify what it means to have someone like Spencer at your back -- always so encouraging and enthusiastic, and looking for ways to help. Many of you have someone like that, and some of you who are on your own have support networks of your own.

I told my PT about BoneSmart and the difference the community has made to me. I told her I shared her insight about swelling acting as a cushion after surgery, and that people sometimes feel they are regressing later, when they really are not, and how that clicked for some of the people on the forum when I shared it.

She said she is working with another patient who had SuperPath surgery from the same surgeon I did, who simply won't try to move forward even a little bit. She'll go with the PT to the front door, and a few steps, but then won't try to go further. There is a balance that needs to be struck between trying to do too much too soon, and being unwilling to do anything at all, but freezing into position and adopting a position of helplessness and hopelessness. I've seen this time and time again on the cancer ward where my husband spent so much time for most of a year, and in other settings as well.

I told Sydney (the PT) about my face-up with reality, and she said that even though I probably won't be ready to go back on time, she doesn't think I'll be out very long after school starts, because of the rate of progress I'm making. She said that, in general, she finds that SuperPath patients after two weeks are where other patients are after 4-6 weeks, even if those patients are making great recoveries. So it slices 2-4 weeks off the recovery process, at the front end, though not for every single patient.

My next step is to start wearing my leg brace again, for my right knee (operated side). Now that my new hip is where it should be, I can't let the bad knee pull my whole leg out of alignment. Sydney wants me to begin wearing the brace again, and practicing walking and doing the things I'd be doing in class around the house -- standing while shifting weight from one leg to the other, walking around, bending, etc. -- to see how my energy and stamina hold up, and how much time elapses before I need a rest.

Even though the brace is ugly and clunky, it really does change my whole posture and leg alignment, and I need to embrace it. I can't risk ruining the miracle of my new hip because of the knee. I certainly can't have the knee done until next summer, and I'm not at a point where I'm ready to say I'd do it even then, because knee surgery is supposed to be so much worse than hip surgery.

Sydney said I can also start using the recumbent elliptical trainer at our clubhouse gym to build strength and stamina. Right now, when it's so hot and humid, I can't do much outdoor walking, and this is a good substitute in an air-conditioned environment. I'm certainly not going to use the treadmill at this point!

I'll write again soon, but wanted to share my news of progress and new insights now. I feel so exhilarated, energized, and relieved by being able to walk again even a little bit without supports.

Keep on keeping on!
 
BeckyR I just LOVE your updates!!!! :) I'm happy for you, looks like you're getting better every day!! My daughter is a 1st grade teacher, so I understand the work involved. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and take that time off to fully recover. Really neat about the sick leave bank...I'll have to mention it to my daughter.
 
Jojool, Goody2Shoes3, Thanks so much for the good wishes! Jojool -- if your daughter is interested in the Sick Leave Bank and wants the name of a contact person here who runs it, to find out more about how it is set up, let me know and I'll send you a private message. It really is a wonderful system.
 
More good news today! I am walking with only a cane now, and it is very comfortable. I can walk without the cane, but if I do so I limp, so I need the cane. Saw my surgeon, and he said that my scar is so well healed that I can go in the pool again. He also said I can go walking on the beach with my husband, and do exercises like the recumbent elliptical (NuStep if the brand means anything to those reading this) at our clubhouse gym. He also said that I can start driving again next week, which will be a little less than three weeks from surgery. Of course I'll need to be off narcotic painkillers during the day, if I'm going to drive, but I'm just about there. I take mostly Tylenol during the day. Also, I will start driving within our gated community, just to make sure I'm comfortable, before I go out in traffic. I think this is amazing, since it is my right hip that was replaced.

I'll be on out-patient PT now, which I'm looking forward to, and I see my surgeon again in three weeks. I will definitely miss the first week of school, which is really pre-school -- teachers and staff there, but no students. I'll PROBABLY miss the first week of school, but there is a very good chance that I'll be ready to return after that. We'll make that decision three weeks from now, during my next visit. My surgeon says that I will begin experiencing a real growth in stamina and strength within the next 2-3 weeks. He's been right on everything so far, and I trust him completely.

Jojool, I am positive that my doctor -- Elvis Grandic -- knows your doctor very well. They both had the exact same fellowship at New England Baptist -- the AuFranc Fellowship -- and they were both heavily involved in developing the SuperPath technique. It's impossible that they don't know each other, though I don't know if they were living in Boston at the same time. You can ask Dr. Chow when you see him. In any case, even though every patient is difference, you should feel very strong and confident going into surgery, knowing how smoothly this has gone for me. And I'm quite a bit older than you are.

Happy trails!
 
BeckyR I meet with Dr. Chow next Tuesday for my pre op. I will def. mention his name. Reading your recovery has been such a Godsend to me. I'm still anxious about the surgery, but I think it's more of "fear of the unknown" than anything else, and the more I read from you (and others) the easier that fear becomes. Thank you, and I'm so excited for you! :happydance:
 
Well BeckyR, Look at YOU!!! Simply and unbelievably fantastic news for you! Please be careful. You don't want too much activity to side line you. I've found with my other recoveries with other OS, that they tell me I CAN do things but it doesn't mean that "I" can do things. I listen to my body, and I use my wisdom as objectively as possible. It's my humble opinion that I'd rather go a little slower and stay with steady improvement than recover from the set back of doing too much all at once. You're a very smart lady, of that I'm certain. I just care and want to see you continue to progress safely.

I'm stepping off my soap box now, and I will cheer you on as you continue to get pieces of your life back each and every day. :) :friends: :yes!:

Great Job hippie friend, and neighbor!!!

Nancy
 
Woot woot!! BeckyR! You are amazing! And such an inspiration! Thank you thank you thank you! I am so pleased to hear your terrific news :) You must be over the moon, keep up the hard work my friend!
 
nmay51, You are so right! I've been cleared for these things, but I won't do them unless I really feel able to do so without bad effects. I am going through this gently, and when I get tired I rest. A couple of days ago I couldn't imagine not having the walker, and relying just on a cane, which seemed like a flimsy nothing. Then -- all of a sudden -- I was ready for the cane, and felt how it supported me and prevented me from limping when I stepped on my "bad" leg. This morning, when I go for a walk with my PT, I'm going to have her take the walker, so that if I get tired walking with the cane I can switch to the walker. Because I know I can't go the same distance with the cane that I can with the walker to lean on, even though I'm doing well. I also told my husband that I can't imagine feeling able to go through a whole day's work and activities right now. I know that I'll be able to do that as my body continues to heal, and I know that I'm getting better and stronger every day, but it is hard to fathom that my energy and strength will return soon. My doctor told me, yesterday, that it would, and I trust his experience, but this is the first time I've ever gone through anything like this, so I have to take it one step at a time. I can tell you that I am not pushing myself. When I'm done, I'm done. There are really no reserves. I feel great, and am doing one thing or another, and then -- suddenly -- that's it! I'm done. Of course I'm able to pace myself so I stop before I collapse or anything like that.

Jojool, Yes, it is normal to have a little anxiety about the unknown, but I am so impressed by the distance you have traveled in terms of your readiness for this procedure. I remember how terrified you were (and how terrified I was at first), and you are in a whole different place now. You will come through this with flying colors, like one of your beautiful horses leaping gracefully over a stream! Blue ribbons ahead!

Thanks you both for your friendship and concern.
 
Jojool I found that the waiting was the worst part, after only a week on this forum, everyone here had put my fears to bed. I felt ready. Once it is over, you will be so glad and feel so much better. The surgical pain is different and it quickly gets better. Take good care of yourself, so your body is ready to accept this gift your are getting! Ask everything you can, the folks here are nothing short of AmAZinG!
 
BeckyR hello,

Wow becky wow. You are my inspiration.

I'm sooo very scared of the whole procedure I am seeing a hypnotherapist. She tod me to think positive thoughts, so I read your posts!!!!
They really are wonderful and just give me so much hope for my future .

I can't believe your progress its marvellous, wonderful.

Thank you for posting.

I hope I can be as brave and inspirational as you are.

Angie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom