THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeckyR, I can so relate to your experience, tho you sound like you are having an even easier time than I. The pain and discomfort that I was expecting just hasn't been there. Maybe July 10th was a magical date. Thank you Hipsters. Thank you Doctors and other staff here at Stanford (and there were a lot of doctors. Being a teaching hospital, Dr. Huddleston had all sorts of residents and fellows in his entourage). All of you made this such a positive experience for me. Looking forward to getting my pre-pain life back!
 
marcopollo, love that yoga strap...I can see the dog. Maybe I'm hallucinating from the oxycontin. bottomshollow, I definitely won't get overconfident, and I'm not doing any jumping jacks or headstands in the hallways. I am ecstatic, because I've gotten my life back again. My husband is ecstatic, too. I'll wait a while before walking on water, because I don't want to splash.
 
bottomshollow, I had a (very challenging) student last year who wore a blue-and-white cheerleader uniform just like your avatar. In fact, the avatar looks like her. She was a great cheerleader, but was failing my course. She'd come running in saying, "I did a split today! Can you do a split?" and I'd give her a surly, pain-wracked snarl and say, "No, I can't do a split, I'm back to trying to walk." She'd laugh and say, "Bet you couldn't EVER do a split." Just wait until fall!!!!! I'll be doing somersaults in the cafeteria!
 
Oh BeckyR!
I thought I could skate under the radar and not be caught out for my lack of attention, but you school teachers miss nothing! my apologies for this but rest assured I was checking in and I have to say, look at you go!! My goodness you must have been a sprinter back in the day as I cannot tell you how absolutely thrilled I am with your progress! You have nothing to forgive for wanting to stay the extra day, as quite frankly your recovery is ALL ABOUT YOU. You have every right to this so don't you even think twice!

You are right and I can't thank you enough for your description of the emotional part of the change. This was a wonderful journey to share with my wife as it confirms my step-brothers' experience and happiness. It is a process and each day brings you closer to getting back what was taken from you so unexpectedly and unfairly. To read the joy you are feeling is a powerful statement to the human spirit that we can make things better. Please keep posting as I will always look in, and forgive me in advance if I am sporadic in my replies as I am traveling quite a bit now and hopefully things will calm down soon.

Quite frankly, all I can say is that I am so happy for you!! Three months from now you'll be dancing with your husband and laughing all the way to the bank!

All the best to you and yours

Mike
 
mbtokyo, You are so funny, and are the most diplomatic person I know. You always know how to say the right thing to everyone. We could use you in the State Department! Maybe you could negotiate peace in Syria! I do feel great, and now I'm looking forward to going home this morning. Having the extra level of care for an extra day made a big difference, and now I'm raring to go. You and your wife are in for a wonderful experience as she regains her sense of self and confidence and is able to do all the things she loved to do and can't do right now. It is the simple things that make the biggest difference. Who knew that walking a hospital corridor could feel like walking the boulevards of Paris?

I'm afraid the surgery won't cause me to laugh all the way to the bank. That isn't part of the bargain for teachers. But there are other rewards. Enjoy your travels!
 
Going home today, and I really feel ready. It will be nice to get up and walk around whenever I want to and not have to wait for someone to get me out of bed and escort you. They take it very seriously here, because too many patients had fallen, so now that tape us all to loud alarms in case we get too empowered and stand up without a nurse or aide disconnecting the alarm.

Just saw the physician's assistant -- from my doctor's practice -- and she is totally confident I'll be ready to go back to school full time when it begins in a little more than a month. She said I'll have the strength, stamina, and energy, based on how I've done so far and how quickly their other patients recover. My husband will drive me to and from work, and I'll sit when I need to and get help if it's needed with things like walking the kids to and from lunch, but I'm really encouraged to think I'll be able to return when school starts and not have my new children start with a substitute. It's their first year in middle school, and I think it's way better (if it is possible) for them to start with their own teachers on the first day of such an important year. And that's when you start forming relationships with them. I'm psyched! Will get as much planning done as I can between now and then.

I think I've lost some weight in the hospital -- based on my face, which is where I always lose it first -- even though the food was good. But I'm swollen like a barrel in my hips and operated leg, and the nurses told me it can take a few weeks for that to return to normal. Meanwhile, they told me not to wear my underpants because the underpants can abrade the new skin cells forming to cover the incision. One nurse recommended I wear men's boxer shorts -- the colorful kind. That's a great idea. At home, I can wear my husband's plaid boxer shorts from Target. Maybe I can carry a towel to snap, the way men do in the gym. Get into the spirit of this transition!

I'll be having home health aides and PT starting tomorrow. The service wants me to call them today, when I get home, to get it all started. They are even going to send someone to teach me how to take a shower, although I suspect I could figure it out on my own. Still -- I'm going with the program, and curbing my independence to follow the total plan.

Ready to rumble! Hope all my hippie buddies are doing well! Too many names to list here, but I'm thinking of YOU!!
 
:friends: So glad you're going to be home, in your own comfy environment. Thanks for the tip on the undies, I'll be sure to get a few colorful pairs of boxers for myself.... maybe that will start a new trend! lol
 
I'm a briefs kinda guy and own no boxers. And even though my wife's undies are colorful...well, we won't go there!

I'm so happy for you BeckyR. You have done so well and I love how excited you are for the kids, to be able to start school in the Fall. I know that makes a big difference for them. They are lucky to have you for a teacher...especially with that shiny new hip for show-and-tell!

I understand that independence thing. I was able to get up pretty early in the process, and with little help from the get go. Most nurses were good with that once they saw I could. A couple would give me grief for doing it without help, but it was mostly with love. Most those nurses (particularly the RNs) were very loving and caring. I was quite impressed with the staff. So I was able to get away with a lot at the hospital, but I understand your wanting to get up when you want. Lucky you today!

We will both be sleeping in our own beds tonight!
 
marcopollo, Yes, they were all very loving about it, and I understand the reason for the rule. Too many people were falling on the ward. But now that I'm able to do so, it's good to be a little bit more independent. So great to be home again, isn't it?
 
Home again, home again...nothing like it! Hope you have an easy transition to home and take care not to do too much...let your husband help you...middle school teachers tend to be an independent pugnacious lot so curb that a bit and make sure you rest! (Pot calling the kettle here...I am also a 6th grade teacher. What subject do you teach?) don't forget to follow the bonesmart mantra and get as much rest as you can. Start up of school is always exhausting so you want to store up energy while you have a chance.
 
Thank you everyone for all the good thoughts and encouragement. I wish I could thank you all individually, but I'd probably miss at least one person, and I am so exhausted right now. nmscienceteacher, Thank you for the very good advice. I teach world history -- it overlaps a lot with science, because of all the archeology and scientific advances and discoveries.

I am so glad to be home, but the exhaustion has definitely kicked in. In the hospital, there was a whole staff tending to our every need, and I was only navigating the distance from bed to chair to bathroom (except for PT walks, etc.). Now that I'm home, I'm covering a lot more distance just to go to the bathroom, and the fatigue has hit big-time. Ups and downs throughout the day, and still so grateful to have had this life-transforming opportunity. My husband has done so much to prepare for my return home, and worked so hard to get everything perfect, all the shopping done, sheets on the bed turned down. It just moved me to tears. He is helping me with everything, but I don't want to run him ragged or wear him out. He's only one person, not a whole hospital staff, and he has some physical challenges of his own. He would work his heart out for me, as I would for him, but I don't want to do that to him.

For those who have been writing about Lovenox -- here's a little Lovenox story I'll share. Won't make it more pleasant to use it, and have to give yourselves shots in the belly, but it may add a little perspective:

After my husband recovered from Stage 4 cancer, he got a deep-vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism, went on Coumadin (which failed), and got a second DVT a year later. Our only option was for him to use Lovenox every day -- for the rest of his life, as we saw it at that time -- and the insurance I had through my school wouldn't pay for the Lovenox, despite long letters and appeals from all his doctors -- heart, oncology, everything. All the appeals failed, even though it looked as though he would die without the Lovenox, and there was no way we could pay more than $1,000/month to buy it at full price. We were in a state of desperation and disbelief. I was thinking, "What do I have to do next? Sell a kidney to get money for the Lovenox?" Of course that is crazy thinking, but that is the way you get when faced with an impossible situation. What saved us was the Veterans' Administration (VA). My husband is a Navy veteran and has gotten many of his meds from them over the years. They approved the Lovenox, and he gave himself a daily shot for more than three years. He was covered with black and blue marks from all those shots, but he never once complained. He is just so glad to be alive, and so in love with life. He said it was no different from people with diabetes having to take insulin. Now he is on Xarelto -- the drug I'll be taking for the next 10 days -- and no longer has to use the Lovenox, but he was totally ready to use it for the rest of his life. Thank God we have drugs like Lovenox. Nobody would want to get DVT. It is more awful than you can imagine, even if you are lucky enough to survive it. We have many challenges getting our energy and stamina back after THR, but the journey is so much harder and longer coming back from a DVT. He could barely sit up on his own after each DVT, for the longest time, or walk across the room, but he has always fought his way back, with such courage and discipline. My amazing hero and best friend, my lover and husband and role model.
 
BeckyR Sorry for it taking me so long to chime in too. I just got through reading all your recovery posts. You are doing amazingly well. I had both my hips replaced the superpath way within 6 weeks of each other. It's awesome how that works and your recovery is so much better. The stab area that you referred to, is where they create the path for them to put the instruments to preform the surgery so the incision can be kept small. My surgery was pretty much like your's with the incision being glued and covered with a large bandage thing. I never had a bed pan, I got up right away and used the bathroom. I went home the next day after surgery so my bandage didn't get changed. I had it on til day 10 and then I removed it myself. By that time the incision was completely healed. I went to PT one week after my surgery for my first hip and kept on going until a week before before my second hip replacement. After my second hip I didn't go to PT until about 3 or 4 weeks. I didn't see where I was getting much benefit. The girl I had for my PT admitted to me after she almost hurt me that she had never had someone that had one hip replaced and waiting for the next one. I think the PT can be too aggressive so be careful of that even with zero restrictions don't do anything that causes you pain. If it hurts that means your body isn't ready for it yet.
 
sandybeach, Thanks for all the great comments and advice. I'll be starting with home health care and home PT. My surgeon is setting me up with people who he said know all his protocols. I guess he has trained the PTs on how and what he wants them to do -- and not do! I feel very cared for and protected. Now that I'm home I'm glad I stayed in the hospital a couple of extra days and got the extra TLC. It's an easier transition than it would have been otherwise, though I'm so happy to be home again in my own surroundings, with my husband.

Night, night now!
 
BeckyR I'm so glad you're home and tucked nicely in your own bed. You have certainly had a busy day. The hospital isn't very far from my home. Probably 30 minutes tops, but that little ride wore me out on the day I was discharged. Go slow and remember your job right now is to rest and heal. Rest, ice, elevate and medicate. I'm still doing that almost two weeks after my surgery. Sweet dreams and great job today! :zzz: :sleep:

Nancy
 
Okay great you are safely home. Now get some rest. Peace be with you
 
Rest and listen to your body. The fatigue has been my biggest nemesis - and frustration - so far in my recovery. Mornings are good. More energy but I fade really fast after dinner! :zzz: I can't blame it on the meds any more. Wouldn't you know that I scheduled all my PT in late afternoon to fit DH's schedule. I am gonna be wiped! Part of it is probably my body building back up after blood loss and just the healing process. I am hoping to go back to work part time after next week. Maybe I need vitamins or something . . . .
 
Wow, BeckyR just incredible what you and your husband have gone through and I must say he has the best outlook on life and is one tough son-of-a-gun! He is absolutely correct that you have to keep looking for the best as the alternative aint that attractive. You are both inspiring as reading that made me realize I got it pretty darned good. Whenever I find myself complaining about something that I have to do (and that's a lot!), I will remember this and buck up and tell myself to just GET IT DONE. You are both so fortunate to have each other that I have no doubt your recovery and life together are only going to be fantastic. Can you say Paris in the Spring? I think you can!

As for recovery, well, what can I say? You seem to have the right approach. Please don't feel guilty about anything. Your husband will do what he can and it will be enough (I'm driving my wife nuts with my preparations). I think the best thing for now is to simplify and then each day see what happens. The old KISS system - keep it simple Shirley (hey! stop calling me Shirley!). Really, just concentrate on doing the bare necessary and work up from there. Keep ahead of any pain and Bob's your uncle. I can't tell you how happy I am for your fabulous recovery. You deserve it. As for the bank, ok maybe not the bank-bank, but for sure the happiness-bank!

There's an old saying that when a person is complaining about things, you can say, "well, at least you got your health". How true!! This whole experience has taught me just how important that is and how lucky my wife and I have been. I must say that I have gained the greatest respect for people who care for the disabled, as they really are saints. The patience involved humbles me and I have learned so much about myself through this (and not all of it reflected well on me) and know I will learn more as we go through this together. It will make me a better person.

As for my diplomatic skills, I need to pay you more! Please tell this to my wife as I don't think she agrees that the word diplomacy is the right one to describe me! I once heard from a very wise man that the two most important words in international diplomacy are "Yes, dear". By God, he was right!

Please take care. Rest, relax and don't worry about a thing. Just get better and all will follow.

All the best to you and your husband.

Mike
 
nmay51 Shadow09 randy62 mbtokyo Thank you for the laughs, the warmth, the encouragement, and the good advice. It all makes such a big difference! Randy: I love your writing style. Right down to the basics! There was an obituary in the newspaper yesterday for one of Lyndon Johnson's speechwriters -- a man who had to have "a passion for anonymity," because Johnson wanted the spotlight to be only on him. He (the speechwriter) said the hardest part was that he always had to be terse and brief -- "four letter words, four word sentences, four sentence paragaphs." He took one weekend off, he said, to do nothing but "drink scotch and think for 72 unbroken hours in long, convoluted sentences." In any case, you are one of my favorite writers on BoneSmart because your postings are always short but have something hilarious about them!

nmay, shadow, You are so right about the fatigue. One thing they emphasized in the hospital was that sitting up is better than lying down. They tried to get us to sit up for more than half the day. They said it makes a huge difference in your breathing, and overall circulation and healing. They are very concerned about shallow breathing and the potential for pneumonia. They gave me a little breathing toy, which I find annoying, but am trying to use as they told me -- 5 deep aspirations every half hour, or 10 every hour. You inhale through a tube to make a ball rise in the toy, and then try to hold it at the peak you reached for three seconds (this is the part I hate and find impossible), and then you exhale and let the ball drop. It is not a motivating little game for me, but I'm doing it anyway. When my husband was in the hospital one time they only had a room for him in pediatrics, where there were cute little animal murals on the walls, and the breathing toy they gave him had a clown's face with wiggling eyebrows. It cracked him up so much that it interfered with using the thing, but he still soldiered on and did it, and I will, too.

mbtokyo, I still say you are diplomat. I have the objectivity to say so. Remember: No man is a prophet in his own land. It is here, on BoneSmart, that we can see you as a prophet/philosopher/diplomat. None of us can see the laundry, or other irritants that eat away at pedestals. I am familiar with the KISS system, but I don't remember Shirley. It was some other chap who was mentioned in the version I heard.

Today is my 24th wedding anniversary. My husband and I are going to take a romantic stroll down to the mailbox and back, and just call it Paris. Paris is a state of mind, as much as a geographical place. My 24th anniversary gift? Getting my life back, and an open doorway to a joy-filled future, sometihng I thought had been lost. No gift could be better.

Love to you all!
 
Happy anniversary To BeckyR and her loving and devoted man. What a memory filled anniversary it will be...sheer gratitude that both of you are on the other side of health crises and are together supporting each other. Don't worry about leaning on your man for the next few weeks...I am sure he leaned on you when he was down also and is happy to return the favor. You are so blessed to have a supportive spouse...it makes all the difference in the world to your recovery.
Your only job for the next few days should be to rest, rest, rest...and walk as tolerated. The better you are in the early days the faster your body can heal. I guess your surgical approach heals a lot faster than mine but even so return to work a month after surgery is pretty optimistic. Do you have anunderstanding administrator? I think I am going back with a 504 plan...I did that after the knee replacement surgery this past January and it helped highlight to the admin that I was really still healing and not totally up to speed.
I hope you and your husband have a wonderful, calm, restful day together, enjoy each other! Hugs from New Mexico.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom