Guest viewing is limited

THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeckyR sounds like you are doing incredibly well!!! Sooooo happy for you!!!
 
Congratulations on you're journey here to the "other side".:)

Glad to hear you're doing so well after surgery!:dancy:
 
Thank you all for the good thoughts! I will be careful not to overdo things. A saying I once heard that I love is "There are times when you have to go slow to go fast." If you push yourself too hard, you will slow down your recovery. Like many of you, I do find that I suddenly get exhausted. I'll be sitting up reading, or on the computer, feeling fabulous, and then-- all of a sudden -- WHAM. Have to lie down. It tends to happen right after I eat. I think all the blood goes to your stomach to digest the food, and you get really tired. One of the nurses -- "My Marine" -- said it was because I had lunch...even though it was a light lunch. I guess we all get sleepy or tired after a meal, but not like this. It definitely IS major surgery, even though it still doesn't feel like it.

Today, I dressed in shorts and a shirt and realized that my hips and leg are really quite swollen. Shorts that were loose on me the other day are really tight. That was a bummer, even though I know it is just swelling and will go down.

The OT person came to visit me today and told me I don't need OT. She said we'd go for a walk just so we could do something together, but that I definitely don't need her services. No problems with "activities of daily living."

I had physical therapy before lunch and we walked the entire circuit of the floor. The therapist said my gait and speed were nearly normal. She couldn't believe it. She had me climb up and down the little flight of stairs and get in and out of the fake car. She then had me walk WITHOUT a walker -- first holding on to the railing along the wall, and then without any supports at all (for a short distance) just to see how it felt to walk completely on my own. It felt great!

She will be back this afternoon to work with me again. I want to stay an extra day -- until Sunday -- even though things are going so well, because I want to have some more PT and feel extra independent when I go home. I don't want to put too big a load on my husband, who will not be able to do everything for me the way the nursing staff does. The PT told me she'll speak to the nurse-practitioner about getting me the extra day, and that she'd work with me tomorrow walking with a cane and going up and down an entire flight of stairs so I'll know I can do it if there's a hurricane (Florida!) and we lose power and I can't use the elevator. We agreed we'd have a terrific time.

I am still on top of the world. I cut my pain meds in half this morning, to see if I could remain totally pain-free with just one oxycodone. I did feel more -- not really bad,but sort of the edge of pain -- and I think I'll go back to the two oxys for a couple of days and then try it again. I really like the experience of being totally pain-free, and I know I'll be able to wean myself from the meds when they aren't needed anymore. They don't make me high or anything, just totally pain-free, so I don't want to mess with success.

More to follow -- so glad to hear all the good things that are happening for others, and to know that those awaiting surgery are gaining courage and confidence from our postings.

Love you all!
 
BeckyR I just LOVE your reports!!! Not only are they wonderfully positive, they are detailed and give me more and more courage every day. Thank you again, and I'm so happy for you that you are pain free!!! Can't wait for that day.
 
Hi BeckyR Congratulations on your new hip and welcome to the recovery side.I am sorry that I am late with the welcome but I don't seem to be receiving all alerts at the moment.My oh my are you doing well and next to no pain with minimal analgesia.Wow ! I relate to you when you say that you have been given a second chance of life.I feel so blessed like yourself. Sounds like you choose a very skilled surgeon and an excellent hospital with wonderful nurses.Dont worry about the swelling as you know it is to be expected and rest,ice and elevation will sort you out.
 
BeckyR. Keep up the great work and follow the mantra....ice, elevate, rest, medicate!
 
Thank you all. It's now the end of a long day -- pretty tired -- but still so happy. Jojool, you are going to do just fine, and you will be so overjoyed at the results. Of course everyone's experience is different, but you will be well taken-care of and there is nothing that will happen that can't be dealt with.

My physical therapist came and took me for another spin around the hospital floor. She gave me a rainbow-colored yoga strap to use to pull up my leg into the bed when I'm tired. She actually tied the strap around my waist and held it from behind while I walked. I told her I felt like a little doggie being taken out for a walk, and she got right into the image and said, "Go, Henry, keep on going!" She has a little dachshund named Henry, and I told her she should download the old song "Dance with me Henry." It was from the 50s or the 60s...can't remember which. We have a lot of laughter and fun during the day. It's a little like BoneSmart live.

I will be staying until Sunday...my choice, to have the added security of feeling more independent when I go home. My PT said that tomorrow she will have me climb an entire flight of stairs up and down so that I'll know I can do it. (I may have told you that already -- can't remember.) And I'll learn to walk with just a cane.

I had visitors this afternoon and they couldn't believe how well I was walking. They said,"Are you sure you had surgery? We can't tell which leg was operated on!"

Sweet dreams, everyone.
 
BeckyR See!! Now you are sounding like we did before you had your surgery! You probably didn't quite believe us at the time when we told you how great you'd feel but look at you just right out of surgery and able to do so much! It's great isn't it?!!! I was just like you... Completely amazed at how great I felt! I'm so proud of your progress! You know.... It takes more than a good surgeon to have a good outcome! It helps to have a great patient! :)
 
Have you felt the black hole where the pain used to be yet? Just all of a sudden out of the blue it hit me like a 2x4 to the forehead " hey! Het, where is the nagging pain at?" I am happy that you are progressing smoothly. Peace be with you.
 
BeckyR, Your posts ALWAYS make me smile. Either recall, flashback, similar thoughts, or just because you're doing so well. Again, thanks for sharing your journey. Stairs aren't something I've done yet. Steps yes. Stairs Nope. I did go to a movie tonight. Grown Ups 2. Two hours of potty humor.... exactly what I needed tonight. Friday night movies are normal for me, and normal was the best medicine for me tonight. No pain at all! That makes me smile too... :ok:

Nancy
 
BeckyR, rainbow colored yoga strap? Lucky you. I got a blue rigid strap that can look like I'm walking an invisible dog. Really! Let me try to get a picture...
[Bonesmart.org] The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters
. Use your imagination. I use it by putting my foot in loop and pulling/sliding leg. When I need a cheater.
 
BeckyR marcopollo, I didn't have any aids... maybe because I was "self pay". I had to use my left leg to lift my right leg onto the bed. Now it's a piece of cake... back in the hospital, it was hard work. marcopollo your photos are the BEST :rotfl:

Nancy
 
Good morning BeckyR from across the pond. Sorry to be the laggard on page 4 of your BS thread but I haven't had alerts either and have been having probs with my computer. All sorted now. I'm bursting with pleasure at your posts! Well done! Well done! :yay: I hope that your recovery continues to be as sunny as your posts. Lay back and take your time to recover dear. Have a very happy day. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: Ros x
 
Nylsor hi there and anyone else reading this, have you been missing getting your alerts via the system?
 
Hello all, Even better this morning!!! Can't believe how rapidly this is all happening. marcopollo, My yoga strap is just like your, except it is pastel, rainbow-colored stripes. Muted tones -- not really the rainbow, but beautiful stripes. The PT told me women love it, men don't. Maybe if they OFFERED it to men, they've love it. Who wouldn't want a rainbow in your pocket???

Everyone looks at me strangely because I'm staying until tomorrow, rather than going home today, but I'm so grateful to my surgeon for authorizing it. I want to get showered, and do more PT before going home. I rationalize it that Medicare will save money because I'll need less help afterward in exchange for this one day.

This morning, I was able to stand up so easily, and I've regained a lot of flexibility in the right leg (the one that was operated on. Still no pain, but the meds hit me like a ton of bricks, so I definitely need to reduce the dose today. Yesterday, I was mentally clear and present on the 2 oxys, but today I was reeling. I think that is my body's signal that it doesn't need that much help. I'll cut back to just one and see how that goes.

The PT came and had me walk the entire hallway circuit WITHOUT the walker, just with a cane. I was able to move rapidly and with a normal gait -- no limping or anything. She said if she didn't know I had surgery she'd wonder "What is this woman doing here?" She had me walk some distance without any supports (though she was right behind me, holding on to the strap around my waist). Then we went down and up an entire long flight of stairs, and it was truly effortless. We walked several laps of the hallway, and I was totally comfortable, though I was breathing hard because I'm so out of shape from being sedentary for so long. The walk was really a true workout for me. I got in and out of the fake car effortlessly. Even the can was mostly for balance, more than for support.

I won't get reckless, but this is amazing.

I had my dressing changed this morning, and asked the nurse if she would photograph the scar for me so I could see what it looked like. She told me it is against regulations, but that she gets asked that 2-3 times a week, so I shouldn't be embarrassed about having asked. I tried to do a "selfie," but it didn't come out well. I'll have my husband photograph it when we get home, so I can show it to you. From what I DID see, the "stab wound" is almost gone. The incision (of which I got part) has a strip of glue on it that looks like toothpaste when you squeeze it on the brush. The area around the incision is black and blue, but the whole area looks smooth from what I can see. I want it photographed against a ruler so I can see the exact length, and have a record of what it looks like at day 3 (tomorrow will be day 4, so that's when I'll have the good picture).

My attitude was great and I was positive and enthusiastic because of all of you. You'll never know how panicked I was when I first did the web search to start getting some information. This website gave me the courage, confidence, and knowledge to go forward.

And a HUGE shout-out to my brilliant, gentle, and down-to-earth surgeon, Dr. Elvis Grandic, and to the magnificent staff here at Delray Medical Center. A band of angels has ministered to me. I will be grateful for the rest of my life.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters
BeckyR, I am officially naming you head cheerleader for BoneSmart. All these absolutely positive upbeat rah! rah! rah! post op reports are so encouraging and inspirational to all the "hippies" out there waiting for their day in the OR.

And I am so happy that you are so happy with the ways everything is going for you. Just don't get to feeling sooooooo good that you get over ambitious.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom