THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojool, Even though everyone is different, I think that your recovery will be similar to mine. Not only are we having the exact same procedure, but you are 15 years younger than I am, and you are more athletic (e.g., your horseback riding) than I was before my hip went bad. I think things will go very smoothly for you!
 
sandpiper, Jojool ... Went shopping at Target this afternoon -- first time shopping, 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. It felt good. The cart is very supportive, and I didn't do a big shopping, but I was able to carry everything from the car to the house (3 bags) without our little cart. It is so great to feel capable and normal again. Each time I am able to do something like this, it is a victory. Also -- I've lost five pounds (above and beyond the weight I gained from post-surgery swelling, which dropped away after a week or so). I want to lose about 40 more. Having this surgery, and feeling that I've been given a new start in life, is so motivating.
 
:yay: :yay: :yay:Shopping Again!!!! Lost five pounds!:yahoo:Two significant victories.....way to go BeckyR
 
BeckyR. Wow!!!! That's so exciting!!!!! I'm so proud of your progress both post op from THR AND loosing 5 lbs.! You go girl!!! We really do have a new lease on life don't we?!!!
 
BeckyR. My goodness! I go to my mom's for the weekend and look at you ! I come back to such wonderful reports from you! It's great! You are doing sooooo well! Funny how we end up enjoying those chores we used to hate...like dishes, laundry, etc.! Ha!!! Keep up the great recovery!! I'm going to read that article in the NY Times now!!!
 
sandpiper, Jojool, Goody2Shoes3, Yes, it really is funny how things we used to avoid (like housework) are now victories. Today, I want to polish the silverware. Wish I could reach my toes to cut my own toenails, but I still can't do that. Had a GREAT PT session today. My therapist is also a certified massage therapist, and he really worked on my legs to deal with some of the tightness. Both legs -- front, sides, and back. It was painful, because the muscles and tendons are so tight, but it really helped. I'm so grateful for this, because Medicare doesn't reimburse for massage therapy, and the place I go includes it in treatment anyway, as part of the whole process. And they have real expertise in this area. I am now at the point where my overall energy is building, and I keep feeling as though I should be able to do more -- like walk long distances -- but when I try, I find that my legs aren't equal to what my mind thinks they should be able to do. More time needed, but I am definitely pleased at the way things are moving along.

sandpiper, is your new avatar a picture of your house? you mom's house? It looks so beautiful!
 
BeckyR, I hear you about leaving the cane somewhere in the house. I try to just hang it in a regular place, or two, since I don't really use it much inside anymore. Mostly when I go outside...a trip to Paris or otherwise out and about. Tomorrow I get to go to lunch with some of my buddies and will take the cane...I get more sympathy & attention when I use it in public!! :egypdance:
 
marcopollo, I still need it when I'm tired, too. Plus, the sympathy is worth a lot. LOVE your new avatar! Go, Fred!
 
Yeah, that's how I feel walking with the cane now. Just need the top hat and tails!

That is so great about the weight loss. I lost about five pounds net, also. Got to love it. And shopping...you drove yourself? Talked to my PA today and asked about driving (I feel I could) but he says I need to give it time and wait til the six week post-op visit. Arghhhh!!
 
marcopollo, Yes, my surgeon told me I'd be able to drive at three weeks, and that's exactly how it went. The SuperPATH technique does cut several weeks off the recovery process, but you've done FABULOUSLY well, too. Keep on dancing while you wait for clearance to drive.
 
BeckyR It's great that you are able to get massage as well as physio. I imagine it takes time for all those tight muscles to stretch back out and get re-patterned but when they do won't it be wonderful? It must be such a good feeling to know that your physio will bring great results and you aren't just putting in time. I hope to get to the point where i can do some yoga and maybe even join two friends that do Zumba at the Senior Centre. i couldn't begin to attempt either of those right now.
I am expecting to have more than the average amount of muscle tightness after surgery as this seems to be a constant problem for me weakness, burning, tightness, cramping. I don't feel very stable in the hip area so I guess it is a huge strain on my muscles just trying to keep me upright and moving.
 
BeckyR. The new avatar is a picture I took when I was in Germany August two yrs.ago. All the homes have those lovely window boxes!
 
BeckyR That's a great report. I'm glad you're making so much improvement. Writing it down is a good way to monitor your progress. It all takes time and time is what heals.
 
Goody2Shoes3, Hopefully, your muscles will loosen up without too much difficulty. I know you will feel so much better as soon as the surgery takes place.

sandpiper, Those window boxes must be so beautiful, especially when you see them going down an entire street!

sandybeach, Yes, it does take time, and recognizing the steps of improvement help me to be patient with the rest. Hope everything is going well!
 
BeckyR
I am expecting to have more than the average amount of muscle tightness after surgery as this seems to be a constant problem for me weakness, burning, tightness, cramping.
I also could feel my muscles getting tighter and less flexible from not being used. I couldn't use them because it hurt to move. Now since surgery my muscles are coming back and I'm getting more ROM all the time. It will take time but you will get the muscles back and working good again. When I had surgery the OS said I was a challenge for him because the hip was so tight.
 
sandybeach, I just read your earlier postings, and can see that you had quite a time recovering from the second hip surgery. It is encouraging to know that the freedom of movement does return.
 
BeckyR Wow! You are doing great! Way to go, girl! Out shopping, doing dishes and enjoying it! Now that is a feat!

An losing 5 pounds so quickly after surgery!! Whoo Hoo! You deserve honorable mention for that!!

I hope I lose some weight after the surgery, I had a new wardrobe with many things still with their price tags but couldn't use them because I had so much painting to do when we moved here 2 years ago. Then to make matters worse I slowed down on the painting as I started to hurt more and more then stopped altogether and started gaining weight. Then last year I bought new clothes in the next size up only to gain more weight and not be able to wear those clothes this year! So this year I had to buy more pants, jeans & capris! I didn't buy a lot of things because I plan on losing this blubber as soon as I can. It was bad enough that I gained 10 pounds after I quit smoking and had to donate all of the gorgeous clothes I had accumulated over the years but this latest 20 is the final indignity to my self esteem as well as my comfort.
 
didoan, I feel your pain! I have gradually put on about 40 pounds over the years, and I still have some clothes in my closet that I can't bear to part with. I'm hoping that my new hip will make it easier for me to get back to regular exercise, so I can lose the weight. I anticipate it will take about a year to lose the 40 pounds, if I stick with sensible eating and exercise. I've never been able to lose (or keep off) weight without exercise, and I just couldn't do it with all that pain. Even if I can't lose the whole 40 I want to lose, I can certainly get down to a better size and feel more fit and pulled together. It is definitely a self-esteem issue, and a health issue, too. Some helpful thoughts: every pound you lose removes three pounds of weight from your knees (with every step you take), and every pound you lose means that your body saves the work of circulating your blood through an entire mile of blood vessels! Our hearts shouldn't have to work so hard pumping blood to maintain excess fat. Getting my new hip has been such a HUGE motivator, and now I want to regain control of my body and my life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom