THR The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeckyR Those are some really great helpful thoughts, thanks! I always had such strong knees but now they are terrible. I could get up and down to a squat and work like that for hours on end with no problem, now Meh! I can barely bend and if I need to get down to the floor I have to just fall. That started about 18 months ago when my right knee locked up when I had a wet paint brush in one hand and a container of paint in the other. :yikes:
I have never been an exerciser sine my 20's when I went to a 'figure salon' with a friend. I mostly just go the cut way down/ skip meals/ starvation route but I do LOVE to walk and was keeping my weight down successfully until a few months after we moved here. The big hills just became too much for me much to the disappointment of the dog in my avatar. He still remembers and tries to pull me in that direction every day. Now I have 2 dogs and they are very unhappy with my pathetic pace and the short walk only once each day. I hope by 3 months from now I can do at least 2 miles a day.
 
Another landmark -- my husband and I got our love-life back (pain free) -- 4 1/2 weeks after surgery. Dreams really do come true!
 
my husband and I got our love-life back (pain free)

Woo hoo! Nice to know! My husband will be pretty pleased (me too!) that we can do that again. It's been too long. :heehee:
 
Jojool, Yes, we are both thrillled. My husband didn't put his full weight on me, but we were able to do it comfortably, to our great mutual happiness!
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters
BeckyR !!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] The Deed is Done - Becky Joins the Hipstas/Hipsters
 
Jojool, sandybeach, sandpiper, nmscienceteacher, and all wonderful Bonesmarties! Time for an update on what has been happening:

I have continued making progress, and am now able to walk 3/4 mile loops around the circle I live on. (Our street is a circle, and I measured it by car some time ago.) So I'm building endurance. I still use the cane when I do a lot of walking, and when I'm tired, although I usually walk around the house without it. In the pool, I exercise for an hour at a time -- walking forward and sideways, doing all my leg exercises, stretches, etc. -- moving all the time. And I'm still doing physical therapy.

I saw my doctor this morning, and he cleared me to return to school on Monday, 8/26, which is the second week of school. So I'll only have missed the pre-school teachers' workweek and the first week for students. I did all the lesson plans, seating charts, etc., for the substitute, and sweet colleagues set up my room for me and made the necessary photocopies. I have several accommodations for when I return to school. I'll be able to sit down while teaching as needed, someone else will take the students to and from lunch (three weeks) so that I don't have to walk clear across campus and back, and I won't have to do any hall duty (six weeks). If I need any of the accommodations extended, that won't be a problem.

I went to school and got the keys to my room, walked across the campus to see the room and did a little furniture rearranging (not too much), put some books on the shelves, etc. The walking was fairly arduous, especially because I was doing it without the cane. I can see that I really will need the cane at work, for whatever amount of time (can't be predicted), and I will also HAVE to wear the brace for my right leg, because the walking really hurts my right knee without the brace. But it felt great to be there for even an hour, and the people who saw me were amazed at how quickly I'm recovering and how much straighter I stand than I did last year before the surgery.

I saw my principal and he was so sweet. I gave him the clearance letter from the doctor, and he said, "Are you sure you are ready, and not doing more than you should be doing? I'd rather have you come back later, and come back 100% than risk hurting yourself." I told him I do feel ready, but it meant so much to me to have that kind of support and kindness. It really made me feel appreciated and valued, which means the world to me.

I also told my principal the bad news I got today at the doctor, which is that I will need other joints replaced in the future. My left hip is nearly closed up, although I haven't had any pain at all in that hip. He things I have a year or two before that hip needs to be replaced. My right knee definitely needs to be replaced, and the left knee isn't very good either. My plan is to have the right knee done next summer -- using the brace to help me get through this year. The brace really does work, although I dislike it.

I told my principal that the good news (about the bad news) is that I can have the surgery done at the very beginning of the summer, instead of waiting until July, as I did this year because I was waiting for Medicare to kick in. That means that I shouldn't need to take time off at the beginning of the year. He said, "And if you need to have the surgery in the middle of the year, that's what you'll have to do. You can't always plan these things, and if you need it, you need it." Again, I was overwhelmed by the level of support he has shown, especially because I know that not everybody on this forum has been treated this way. It really relieved any sense of guilt or anxiety.

When the doctor and I were discussing the fact that I'll need other joints replaced in the future, I said, "Well, at least we know that one of your children's college will be taken care of, and he laughed. I'll be seeing him again in two months, and he said, "We can also discuss your other body parts at that time," which struck me as hilarious.

I was reassured by what he told me about the way he does knee surgery. He also does that differently from many other doctors, and it's a minimally-invasive process, though I don't know what that means just yet. He told me it will be a relatively small scar -- one line from just above the kneecap to about an inch below it -- and there won't be any stitches or staples. Just like my hip, the incision will be closed with glue. He said the recovery isn't as bad as people think, and that I should be comfortable walking and spending a fair amount of time on my feet (with a cane) after about 4 weeks. I'll find out more when I go to my next visit. I feel so lucky to have found such an amazing surgeon who can spare me so much of the pain and struggle associated with joint replacement (especially knees, which I've heard are much harder than hips).

So -- overall, I'm feeling fabulous, and very excited about going back to school only 6 1/2 weeks after surgery. I do feel confident that I'll have the stamina and strength to do my job, with the accommodations I've been granted. And I'm not at all afraid of future surgeries, thanks to all I've learned from Bonesmart and from going through this first operation.

Love to everyone!
 
Great report. It's wonderful that your principal is compassionate and realistic.
 
Becky, you're going back under optimal circumstances. I suspect stamina will be your biggest hurdle...but it will come. In the meantime, plan your life so you don't have to anything except rest when you get home. Best of luck for a great school year. :)

Sharon
 
sharonslp, I think you are right...stamina will be the challenge. Still, I feel ready to go back. Even though I am able to drive (and have been doing so), my husband has decided he is going to drive me to and from school in the early days -- however long that turns out to be -- because we don't yet know how I'll feel at the end of the day. Thank you for your encouragement and support!
 
BeckyR. What wonderful news! I am so happy for you!!!! Just remember to take it easy those first weeks. As for the next chapter of surgeries, we will be here for you my friend! :puppysmooze:
 
BeckyR You are doing great!!! and now looking at returning to work. You do have a very understanding boss and caring. That is rare these days in the workforce. I was treated well by those I work with but never questioned about if I could handle being back to work. Will you be having a superpath kind of technique for knee replacement also? Your new hip still needs time to heal better as that happens you will feel strength continue to grow. I don't push my hips, I do what I can and the strength is coming along with it. I couldn't climb stairs now I can. I can get up easier from the floor than before. Being tired at the end of the day will last a while too so plan on early evenings of resting.
 
BeckyR, great news! You are doing so well and happy you get to go back to work on the 26th. I am hoping to go back to work on that day, also. I have my post-op appt on Tuesday. Funny, we had our surgeries on the same day and our recovery seems to be synchronous, too. I
 
sandybeach, Thank you so much for the encouraging thoughts. I know that stamina will be the biggest challenges and will try to pace myself. Yesterday, I made the mistake of walking all around the school and running errands without my cane, just to see if I could. Well, I did it, but I paid the price, because my knee was killing me by the end of the day. My physical therapist worked on it today and it feels better, and he told me to continue icing it.

The real lesson in this is that no two people are the same, because no two bodies are the same. Even though I've been recovering so rapidly from the surgery, and my hip feels perfect, I will need the cane because of my knee. In addition to the cane, I can tell that I am going to have to really become friends with my knee brace, which I dislike because it is so clunky. Nevertheless, it really works. It is called an "unloader" brace and was custom-made for me through the specialist connected with my OS's office. (The OS I had before my current surgeon -- who helped me with various tendon and knee problems non-surgically.) Once I'm using the brace again, I'm sure I'll be able to transition away from the cane, but after what happened yesterday, I'm not going to rush it. I'll use it as long as I feel the need.

Yes, my surgeon practices what is called "minimally-invasive knee surgery" as well as hips, but I don't know yet what that means. He told me yesterday that while it is a harder operation to recover from than hip surgery, it really isn't that bad, and that the way he does it results in a much shorter and less painful recovery. I will also have a relatively small scar -- just one straight line from 1/2 inch below my kneecap to about 1/2 inch above it -- closed with glue, so no stitches or staples. Given the pictures I've seen on the knee forum, that is really encouraging. He said it will take about a month after surgery for me to be walking comfortably for extended periods of time, though still with a cane.

I'll learn more when I see him again in about two months, and will tell you what I learn. I plan to have my right knee done in June, immediately after school ends, to have maximum recovery time over the summer. Meanwhile, I'll make do with the brace.

Glad to hear you are progressing well.
 
marcopollo, Great news that you plan to go back to work the same day I do. We are perfect twins! I still love your avatar. It makes me smile whenever I see it!
 
Another breakthrough! I can cut my own toenails again! Only here on Bonesmart would anybody know how much that means. One day -- I couldn't do it. Next day -- I can!
 
BeckyR I've had to skip about 5 pages of your recovery, sorry :sad:

I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing! It sounds like you'll pace yourself carefully till you know what to expect. I'm sorry about "the other body parts" (that is hilarious, you're right!), but your principal sounds like the very best boss in the world!

Yay toenails! I still avoid doing all my op side ones at one, b/c of groin pain. So they're all different lengths:heehee:

Take care, and best of luck with school week after next-- rest rest rest till then! :)
 
marcopollo, My perfect twin! It was actually yesterday I realized I could do it, when I was at the doctor's office, though I didn't cut them until today!
 
marcopollo, sandybeach, zauberflöte, and all beautiful BoneSmarties! Not only my toenails -- I can now put my sock on my right foot again, too! Big, sudden increase in range of motion. So often, progress happens that way. You creep along, bit by bit, and then, all of a sudden, a breakthrough and noticeable change. I can't describe the sense of liberation. This is what it feels like to get your life back, one step at a time.

This site has made such a difference to me. I went from being terrified and overwhelmed to being confident and unafraid, and actually looking forward to the surgery. The support and camaraderie we have on this forum is something to be treasured. You have all made such a difference to me.

My husband and I were talking about this the other day, and we agreed that in many ways these have been golden days. We've had uninterrupted time together, in a beautiful place, and I've been feeling pretty good. There have been limits on what I can do, to be sure, but I've been happy, and largely pain-free, and seeing progress day by day. The entire recovery process has been so gentle, because I've learned to be patient with myself, and with the process. Going to the pool together, walking and doing stretches and leg exercises in the clear blue waters, with sunshine and palm trees and flowers all around us, and then being able to have breakfast under the awning, from the cafe. This is hardly punishment duty. I also love the physical therapy, and the office itself is a happy place, with people who are passionate about their work, and really superb at what they do. Plus, the fact that my principal has been so supportive took away all the fear of not knowing exactly when I'd be able to return.

There's a lot about all this that I'm going to miss when I return to the hurly-burly of school.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom