TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tiredwife

I am happy to hear how well your hubby is doing It sounds as if not only you are taking good care of him, but that he is actually listening! I know what you mean about his knee finally looking normal! I have one new knee, and the other one needs doing! (NOT). I compared both of them after having iced my new one Sunday all day long! I kid you not! I was shocked at how how bad my bad knee looks! :holysheep:!!!

It Is so knock kneed that no wonder I always wear pantsuits to work and not skirts! Oh my, I m going to the beach in the next couple of months and will NOT be wearing a bathing suit, no sirree!

As far as the steps, I've been doing great going up and down on my butt! Plus I am extending my knee! I always have my husband or daughter with me just in case I need their help. Plus my arms get tired (great workout for arms!) please tell your husband he is doing great! Oh, and no more squats!!

Hope you are doing fine , this whole ordeal takes a lot out of a caregiver too! Get good rest and take a break if you have someone to relieve you!

You need gentle loving care also! Now I have to tell my hubby what am awesome job he has been doing! Oh, you will love this, he was limping this weekend and I asked him what was wrong. He said that his knee was hurting him. So I told him not to worry, it's like being pregnant and your spouse picks up all the symptoms! :giggle:
 
@madinana Thank you, last night he took a walk around the outside of the house before bed and slept good and wasn't as stiff this morning. Stiffness is pretty common in the mornings, some people discribed it as a tight band feeling.
 
@Quasi Our steps are only short flights, 6 or 7 steps, he doesn't have much problem with them. Although he did them like a 'big boy' a couple of time he usually does them one step at a time. He uses his cane and we have a very sturdy hand rail.
I think I have sympathy pains for him too. Our it could just be my arthritis acting up. Mine isn't near as bad as his is. Every joint in his body hurts. He has had both knees cleaned out, both shoulders cleaned out (injections in all of them) , injections in his thumbs. His elbows are bad, and he had calcifacation of his achillies tendon (he said that surgery was worse to recover from than this one).
Actually after the first week I haven't had to do much for him. Cook (he is a better cook than me) and carry stuff, and wrap his knee to hold the ice in place. The rest is what I do anyway.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
 
@tiredwife welcome to this site! I am so glad you found us. Your husband has a lot of support in you! I have a 2 and 1/2 year old grandson. They are a handful at this age. So , your plate is full! Please remember to carve out time for you to recharge. You are holding a lot right now.
:yes:
~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith Thank you, luckily since my daughter is done with nursing school and has an actual job I won't have my grandson 5 days a week anymore. She will be on 12 hour night shifts (when her job training is done), so I will have him 2 days a week from 5:30 pm to 12 midnight (her husband works swing shift) .
My husband's other knee will be done in August. All told he will be out of work for 6 months (thank God for his short term disability from work). It is hard on him because he gets bored so easily.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
 
Dear Tiredwife, I continue to pray for you and your husband. At least, you will be an "expert" by the time your hubby has his other knee done. Although as you already know, from reading on this Forum, that each recovery may be different. I am in awe of you. You are doing so much. When you have a chance, please rest, take care of yourself. Allow yourself some small pleasures and relaxation along the way because you will play nurse for 6 months at the very least. Hugs to you. My late husband loved SpongeBob too by the way!
 
@Wellness in Virginia Thank you, and don't worry about me, as long as I get a good nights rest I am good to go.
I use to be a CNA in a nursing home and that has helped me tremendously (expecially with the ted hose). My husband is a very independent guy and really asks very little of me. Thank you for your prayers, they do work.
 
My husband's knee taken a couple of minutes ago (scratch is from one of our cats whom he was bothering), It looks almost the same shape as his other knee.

[Bonesmart.org] Thank You - hubby has had both knees done
 
@Pumpkln I put some really strong alcohol on the cat scratch. I'm just glad it wasn't on the incision. It's his own fault trying to cuddle the one cat we have that doesn't like cuddles. He is an 18 lb part maincoon. A whole lot of cat to handle.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
 
@madinana he is black and blue (rather yellow and ?green now) but it is down the side of his leg from just below the incision to his foot. It is fading out. His bruises didn't show until about the 3rd day. Don't think anyone excapes without bruises. I believe they wrap the bottom part of the leg really tight, plus most everyone is put on bloodthinners.
 
Everyone get blood thinners? I did not realize that, never been on them. Do you have to be on it long or does it depend on OS
 
As far as I know everyone gets blood thinners. I had to do shots in my stomach once a day for three weeks. Every OS decides what kind though. His partner used pills.
 
@madinana thought I told you about the bloodthinner shots in the stomach!?:what: It's 1 shot in the stomach twice a day (a few doctors use pills instead) It's to prevent bloodclots. The length of time depends on the doctor. My hubby was on them a total of about 13 days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom