TKR Thank You - hubby has had both knees done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Phil75070 It is frustrating, but he is hanging in there. Always worse in the mornings. By the way my husband and grandson love SpongeBob:thumb:.
 
@msmechanic58His doctor only gives him about 5 days of percoset at a time, which is a pain because he is in a different town.

I do understand this frustration. I only get 30 Demerol once a week and we have to drive 35 minutes to get the prescription. Then 55 minutes the other way to fill it. Then 20 minutes home. This last time I only got 23 on them filled since Demerol is back ordered. Ugh!
 
@Phil75070 It is frustrating, but he is hanging in there. Always worse in the mornings. By the way my husband and grandson love SpongeBob:thumb:.
Then how fitting that I used that image!
[Bonesmart.org] Thank You - hubby has had both knees done
 
@msmechanic58 He helped his a little, but not if they pulled the incision. Showering helped. Did you have staples or stitches? Hard to tell. He only had two stitches that showed. Most of it was zigzagged under the skin (3 long stitches).
 
@tiredwife

Hello, and God bless you for taking such good care of your hubby!

As far as the steps are concerned I had surgery on May 13th and come home on the 17th. The next day I just had to go upstairs to have a real shower, with a great shampoo! Well, I had not been given any post op instructions by my OS , so up the steps I go. Had a wonderful shower sitting on my shower seat and sat there for about 29 minutes feeling the luxury! Then using my walker, went to my bedroom, put make up on, dried hair and used a crutch to get downstairs.

My daughter and boyfriend brought me dinner and before eating I began to feel really, really out of sorts. I was dizzy and exhausted! Then I took my temperature and it was close to 100 degrees. By the time my daughter left my knee, thigh and ankle were hugely swollen. I kid you not, my thigh was twice the size of my other one! Called my OS and he told me I had absolutely no business going up stairs this early and that I had caused trauma upon trauma! Well, he asked me to call him if I wasn't better in am - about blood clot. I iced and elevated my knee all night and and thank the Lord my swelling had gone down. I learned a big lesson after that.
1. You are putting 2½ your weight on your knee when you go up or down the stairs.
2. Your knee joint is the largest joint in your body!

Ok , I get that now! Up until a couple about a week ago, I have been getting upstairs on my bottom holding my bad knee out in front of me! I used arm strength and decrease pressure on knee! Problem solved!

Advise for pain meds! Most OS do not for some reason what to give prescriptions (I don't understand this logic) but after the same thing happened to me, I took the advice from the leaders here on the forum and made an appointment with my Internist (PCP). Problem solved! I know how two pain meds I am taking, one for breakthrough pain, along with 3 refills! They know your body way better than an OS! Please try this if you have not already! I hate to know that your husband is in pain when he doesn't need to be,

Control of my pain allows me up to heal, and to get through my physical therapy!
Best wished and please let us now how he is doing!

Have a good night, an tell your hubby Happy Father's Day!

:old:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My husband was able to walk up the stairs like a "big boy" today. Still isn't able to go down them that way
Tell him not to rush it. Most people won't get to go upstairs normally until around weeks 6-8 and coming down until a couple of months after that. It's the most demandin of activities on the knee so take it easy, don't force it and let it happen when it happens.
We went out to eat today, he was just glad to get out of the house.
It's too early for that. Did you now read this article? Activity progression for TKRs.
My husband is having muscle cramps in his thigh. He says the muscle just gets tight. Any hints on how to make it feel better?
He says it is a feeling of pressure inside the joint, I guess this is normal.
Actually it is not 'normal', it's a sign of inadequate pain management. Is he taking all he is prescribed or trying to go without? Not a good idea at this stage. Don't forget that 'pain' also includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness
His doctor only gives him about 5 days of percoset at a time, which is a pain because he is in a different town.
Like others have said, get you GP to take over this service. Surgeons are by nature very leery of prescribing which is actually quite daft be cause they know better than anybody how much damage they have done!
 
@Quasi My husband is very muleheaded. Our home has about 7 steps going up to the bedrooms/bathrooms from the living rm./dinning/kitchen area, and 6 or 7 going down from there to the tv room. I thought he would stay in bedroom area for the first few days at least- Nope.
He has an appointment with his regular doctor the 23 (military base doctors are hard to get appointments) and we will see about getting his pain meds from him.
Right now it is his hip that is bothering him. It had a habbit of going out on him before - wish he could go to the chiropractor.
His knee is less swollen every day. We ice it a lot.
Hope you have a pain free day!
 
@Josephine he takes his meds except sometimes if he is sleeping good. He knows to take it easy - knowing and doing are two different things. He gets bored very easily. His swelling goes down more every day.

A lot of his pain comes from his hip. I think it is 'out' again and will be glad when he can go to a chiropractor. He has had a lot of problems with his hip the last few years. It makes it hard for him to get comfortable.

He sees his regular doctor the 23rd, we will talk to him about meds then.
 
@Josephine yes, but it's been about a year. They couldn't find anything wrong, so he just goes to the chiropractor and he does his thing and it is better for awhile. I believe it was desided it does it because of the way he walks because of his knees.
 
Hubby was able to get a 102 degree bend on his own today while the PT was here. He starts his out-patient PT the 25th. His knee is really starting to look like a knee, getting more defined. His last 2 steri strips came off today too.
 
:egypdance: Congrats to your Mr. ! and to you as I'm sure your support has helped.
 
@Josephine and @kneeper Thank you from me and hubby! His PT showed him how to do some stretches leaning on the kitchen counter and they really help with ROM and stiffness.
 
I am glad hubby had a good day!!!!!! :friends:your doing an awesome job and before you know it he will be :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom