TKR Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees!

I need to move where it is warm - why oh why is that not in the BoneSmart board recommendations for anyone having TKR surgery is beyond my understanding!!!
Right? I'm beating myself up for doing this TKR in the middle of winter. I should have known better! :heehee:
 
@Jockette I appreciate the suggestion to try being driven to Home Depot or Dicks but I think you vastly underestimate my ability to find something to shop for in the most dreadful of stores...... :heehee:

I had such a nice time walking in Target yesterday that I thought I'd try to go outside for a VERY short walk today. The weather was decent but NOPE - not doing that again for awhile. I live on a hill so I had to walk either up or down (chose up cause it's a short walk to a level sidewalk). The walker hates the sidewalk and the rollator is too "loosey goosey." The very short walk downhill back to the house was tough as the non-operated leg hates going down hills. However I didn't die so it's all good. Clearly indoor shopping is where the universe thinks I should be at this point so I'm not going to fight it!:cheers2:
 
I need to move where it is warm - why oh why is that not in the BoneSmart board recommendations for anyone having TKR surgery is beyond my understanding!!! :heehee:
Hahaha! We could all migrate to a tropical island only admitting other bionic people, like us!
I agree about Home Depot and Dick's. I could easily do some serious damage in both stores.
Hubs calls me "shop till you drop". Why not get in some retail therapy along with the physical therapy? :yes:
Kill two birds with one stone. :wink: Glad you're no worse for wear after yesterdays outing. Have a nice night!
 
I agree with @Layla. Plus, the more shopping you do, the more interested your husband might be in walking with you (if he thinks you’ll spend less money with him in tow.)
 
My two TKRs were late June and late Aug. I think Aug was the best. I didn't miss out on summer and the weather was still warm enough in Sept-early Oct that I could go outside and not freeze!
 
I agree with @Layla. Plus, the more shopping you do, the more interested your husband might be in walking with you (if he thinks you’ll spend less money with him in tow.)
He knows better! I am not easily intimidated haha!

I had PT for the 2nd time at my HMO and she was very good. We practiced on some steps and I like doing some step exercises so we added those. (ok well ONE step - I don't really need to go upstairs in my house at this point). She doesn't move my knee around at all so she's cool. She also didn't measure anything. I have to admit I'm more wanting to be measured than she wants to measure if the ROM has gotten any better. She said she would measure on Monday when I go back. My leg is a bit more sort afterwards but feels like muscle sore in not a bad way. She said she thought my leg was completely straight. I was able to hyper-extend both legs pre-surgery so not sure if that hyper-extension will come back - anyone else have that and it came back?

Plan tomorrow is to go to the mall later in the day (our closest mall is not super busy) so I can walk a bit and we may grab dinner. I can walk 14 steps in my house before having to do a 180 degree turn with the walker and go back. I'm happy with my house but ..... :headbang:
 
I can tell I'm sometimes just putting all my weight on my new knee when I'm standing cause the left one hurts more.
I do the same. It makes me look forward to getting the other one [left, like you] done.
 
I can tell I'm sometimes just putting all my weight on my new knee when I'm standing cause the left one hurts more.
I do the same. It makes me look forward to getting the other one [left, like you] done.
Isn't that a weird feeling? I'm surprised how great the new knee feels and I don't even mind the tight band feeling. The left knee is already holding me back. When I stand up I have to give it a minute to decide to come along for the walk.

I am thinking of emailing my surgeon to make sure I get on his schedule for the summer cause he gets scheduled so far out.

I also went back and re-read all the posts I made from the first week of surgery and I totally don't remember getting up the first night and moving to the recliner? I would have sworn I slept in bed all night. I also said once the wrap came off I didn't have much bruising - totally not true - I had not seen the back and sides of my leg at that point apparently cause it was solid purple down huge parts of the back of the leg and some of the side. :scratch:
 
Last edited:
ent back and re-read all the posts I made from the first week of surgery and I totally don't remember getting up the first night and moving to the recliner? I would have sworn I slept in bed all night
Memory is a funny thing, isn't it? And the more time that passes, the fuzzier it all becomes.

That's why documenting your recovery is so valuable. I can't telll you how many times I've gone back and looked at my thread from my first TKR to help me with this one.
 
@selketine I know. Memory is a strange thing. That's one reason I have been doing frequent check-ins here, as much for my record as to share the details. It's probably a stretch to say I'm looking forward to the second replacement, but I can say I'm looking forward to being 6 weeks out from my second surgery. Gotta go through one to get to the other:chinstroke:
 
@selketine I know. Memory is a strange thing. That's one reason I have been doing frequent check-ins here, as much for my record as to share the details. It's probably a stretch to say I'm looking forward to the second replacement, but I can say I'm looking forward to being 6 weeks out from my second surgery. Gotta go through one to get to the other:chinstroke:
When do you plan to have #2? I'm hoping for this summer...just thinking whether to try to get in for June or August.
 
Still thinking about when to have #2 done. I hate to be recovering during the summer months because that's when I'd like to enjoy doing things. But with the other knee still fairly painful, I don't know. At present, I'm thinking to do it in December again and then take the spring semester off on medical leave. It was really hard mentally and physically going back to work at 5 weeks this time, even though all my work was online. The fatigue has been challenging, but then I'm a lot older than you.
 
I really know what you mean about Winter weather and TKRs/bad joints. I had my PKR coming into the Winter and found the cold tough.
If I need further surgery I will try to schedule it in the Summer or Spring.
I have mild cold intolerance ( Raynauds) - so this doesn't help.
It is also so much nicer icing in the warmer weather. My other bad joints also definitely feel the cold. My husband would like to move from our cold damp climate ( London) in the Winter months but I would miss the family.
 
I think you have a goid plan either way. I waited too long in between due mostly to my Mom’s illnesses and waited too long on the first knee due to COVID. I’m glad I have mine done now but I lost a lot of fitness and opportunity to do things during the last few years.
 
I also went back and re-read all the posts I made from the first week of surgery and I totally don't remember getting up the first night and moving to the recliner? I would have sworn I slept in bed all night. I also said once the wrap came off I didn't have much bruising - totally not true
Posting here serves many purposes. Along with the advice and support, you have a journal of your recovery to reflect back on and in this case...laugh, lol.
When I stand up I have to give it a minute to decide to come along for the walk.
You make me chuckle, often, selketine.
 
I must have overdid it at PT yesterday because I woke up this morning and ugh was my leg sore. I've hit my first stay on the bench in the ODIC sadly. I felt fine yesterday but today was miserable. I've taken half a pain med twice (this morning and this evening) just to take the edge off. I am walking poorly again and didn't end up going anywhere - slept most of the afternoon. I was so sad it was almost funny actually because I know it is temporary so I just need to rest it a bit and sit my butt down and watch tv - really hard stuff haha!

I had been looking forward to the mall but I'm reassured it is still there when I'm ready. I'm going to cancel PT for Monday because I didn't even do the exercises she gave me yesterday and not sure I will tomorrow. I will keep the Friday appointment. It didn't hurt while there. We did some work on the stairs (stepping up with the TKR leg and down). It worked some new areas that just weren't ready or happy or something. Once I feel better I'll try those again but just do a few and build up.

I had forgotten how miserable it was to be in pain and not be able to get comfortable. I also want to focus more on walking because WOW that really felt great the day I did that at Target - loosened up my knee and the tight band feeling and just was A+.
 
I'm going to cancel PT for Monday because I didn't even do the exercises she gave me yesterday and not sure I will tomorrow.

I also want to focus more on walking because WOW that really felt great the day I did that at Target - loosened up my knee and the tight band feeling and just was A+.
I think this is an excellent, and better, plan! Walking gives your knee gentle movements, and in my opinion, is the best way to rehab.
 
Oh it was bound to happen, sez this one who is sliding over on the ODIC bench to make room for you (I should know better by now and in fact my setback is pretty much over now).

Walking has been my best physical and mental therapy, whether it's five minutes before bedtime or as far as is comfortable outside.

I rarely encounter stairs in daily life so basically just practiced stepping on and off my back deck a couple of times a day early on.

The weight bearing on the leg that DOESN'T lead going down is intense, and the shifting of multiple muscle engagement is complex. We talk about the 6-8 week period for initial muscle healing... in my opinion it's too early for you to put this demand on your new knee.
 
Is it muscle or your knee? Either way wishing you quick healing. Very good chance the mall will still be there when you’re ready to go for a walk. :) And if not, you’ll be glad you took the day off.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom