TKR Thank Goodness I Only have Two Knees!

I really don’t want to go to PT tomorrow as the side of my leg is so sore now from twisting it. I had been fairly confident walking with the walker but now Im afraid of doing it again. I’m sure it will be fine and not as bad as I imagine!
 
Hold off if you're uncomfortable. Wait until the soreness eases. There's plenty of time for PT. Your body is in healing mode right now anyway. No sense in risking it while you're sore.
@selketine
 
It will be better for your knee if you cancel PT for the next week or even more until your knee recovers from your mishap.
 
I would recommend you get that refill since you still need them. Plus I think it’s a good idea to stop them with some left in case of future issues, either another twist or effects of travel or just getting carried away. The “I overdid it and now I’m swelling and in pain reaction“ can happen even a few months after surgery. I found that out on knee #1.
 
Well I guess I officially entered the "whiny mode" stage of recovery haha! I went to my HMO yesterday - was there 4 hours - had an x-ray (regularly scheduled not cause I tripped), went to PT, and had my staples out. Well...one good thing about an HMO that it is all in one building!

PT: She mostly did an "intake" cause it was my first official time working with her (the home PT's were from an outside company). She went over exercises I need to do (we're talking basic stuff like heel slides). Her exercise list was very reasonable compared to the home PT - like night and day. We didn't really do any repetitions other than to discuss good form. I don't go back for 10 days (!). I think what she gave me is very reasonable and doable and better organized.

Ortho office: saw the physician's assistant (PA) and discussed the tripping incident with her. She spent a good amount of time checking my knee and also the x-ray. She thinks that I have sprained a ligament on the outside of the knee and she gave me a hinged knee brace to wear to support the side of the knee. I only need to wear it when I am up to "exercise walk" or when I go somewhere - she thought 4 weeks it should be better. She said x-rays look great and it was fun to see them. A nurse came in and took out the 42 staples. Having them out plus the plastic bandage off, makes my knee feel much more flexible and less tight.

The surgeon refilled the meds (he gives me less each refill so it wasn't many). He's been conservative prescribing them (my DH had more for his gallbladder than I've had for this). I plan to take them as needed, not on a schedule at this point.

All in all - very good outcome! I was absolutely wiped out when I got home and had to sleep. At some point I might consider a quick outing to the grocery with DH driving at some point next week just to walk an aisle or two.
 
Last edited:
All in all, this sounds like a good report. I'm glad you got an answer about the pain from your mishap. Now you don't have to wonder and worry that it was something much worse. Hang in there and let us know how your recovery proceeds.
 
Glad you got some meds. It’s really unfortunate that the current attitude to opiates makes us feel hesitant to ask for relief we need. I think if I ever had something done with a different surgeon I would ask him about his policies on pain meds. Of course then he’d think I was drug seeking. (At least that’s what I’d worry about). But I have read so many stories on the internet about doctors hesitant to prescribe pain medicine even immediately after surgery, or trying to limit it to a very short time. Maybe it’s just me, but I know whenever I have asked for a refill I feel very uncomfortable even when I know it’s reasonable and needed. Glad I’m off them now so I won’t have to do that again unless I have some other surgery. But you are in early days.
 
I'd say that you had a very positive day yesterday! It sounds like you have a sensible PT, which is great! I brace should help that poor tendon heal, just remember that 'easy does it'!
 
I guess I officially entered the "whiny mode" stage of recovery haha!
Please feel free to whine, moan and complain with us. We are here to support you on this journey.

It sounds like you had a very busy, but also a very successful day yesterday -- give yourself permission to take it easy today!
 
You call that whining?!?! You sound great!

(yes, we competitively judge whining here; you're not even close!)

((that last sentence was an utter fabrication. We hope you don't have cause for real whining but if you do, this is totally the place to do it and get support. Sometimes with a side of silliness))
 
I think if I ever had something done with a different surgeon I would ask him about his policies on pain meds. Of course then he’d think I was drug seeking. (At least that’s what I’d worry about). But I have read so many stories on the internet about doctors hesitant to prescribe pain medicine even immediately after surgery, or trying to limit it to a very short time.
Totally makes me uncomfortable to ask for a refill. I am fairly sure I did ask him about pain meds before surgery and he said he was willing to change meds, go to stronger ones, etc. if something wasn't working. Being just 2 weeks in...it's hard to say how it's going to be going forward. I agree with many who say you want to be able to hold some back so you have it if you need it at some point. It's such an uncomfortable subject to discuss with a doctor these days and that's unfortunate. I wish doctors would bring it up with patients and not the other way around, lay out the plan, discuss what point changes should be made, etc.
 
You call that whining?!?! You sound great!

(yes, we competitively judge whining here; you're not even close!)

((that last sentence was an utter fabrication. We hope you don't have cause for real whining but if you do, this is totally the place to do it and get support. Sometimes with a side of silliness))
Challenge accepted! I was really frustrated and mad at myself Monday after twisting my knee and also stressed about asking for more pain meds from the doctor. Plus having to deal with getting all this paperwork for short term disability at work and etc. I haven't been depressed or sad though. I'm saving that for next week - haha! I've been impressed that my right knee seems so stable (other than my ligament sprain) and not painful inside the knee like it was. My left knee has started back up hurting after all the walking yesterday and the two types of pain are so different - pretty cool!

One thing is certain - each day is different. Today I can't stay awake even though I slept well enough last night. I've napped all day. It's probably my sleepiest day since surgery.
 
each day is different. Today I can't stay awake even though I slept well enough last night. I've napped all day. It's probably my sleepiest day since surgery.
Your body is telling you that you needed extra sleep today and those naps kept coming. I think that's a good thing. Your body can heal more while you are sleeping. Go for those naps!
 
All I can say about the meds is that when you need them just make yourself ask. Does your doctor have a portal? Maybe you could leave a message a few days early. My doctor is pretty easy going about it and does ask if I need any meds, but to get a refill I always had to call his nurse who would want to write down how often I was taking them and I always felt she might not approve of what I told her. I kept adding an hour between but took morning and night for a good while. Probably could have stopped at that point. Checked and my last refill was Jan 3. Most of them are still in the bottle.
 
Thanks for sharing an update, selketine. Overall it sounds good!
Totally makes me uncomfortable to ask for a refill.
Please try to view this differently. There is no need to suffer needlessly if you run out of medication and need more. Thankfully your OS gave you a prescription for a refill.
Today I can't stay awake even though I slept well enough last night. I've napped all day. It's probably my sleepiest day since surgery
The best healing happens while we sleep, so snooze away. :sleeep:
Have a great weekend!
 
@MSuki @Layla He did give a refill but admonished me I need to taper - even after I said in my email asking for a refill that I am tapering. :oyvey:

He gives me less each time - so it went from 1 every 6 hours on week one which was tough cause they'd wear off in 4 hours, to 1 every 8 on week two, and now it's 1 every 12 hours on week 3). I tried taking them even less often. I don't think he'd refill them again. I've actually been 24 hours without one and have felt pretty good until the last hour or so. I may also try taking a half & see how well that works and take the other half after an hour if it's still a problem. I should be ok with what I have left & hopefully that's not famous last words!

My knee has actually felt way more normal with the staples out - still swollen and stiff but less touchy feeling. Also it's 70 degrees here today and feels like spring. Yeah definitely doing the next knee in the summer lol!
 
Yes!!! My first knee was late January and once I could walk outside I wailed "why did I have to do this in the rainy season?!?!"
 
Hi selketine,
I am sorry you had to endure that warning from your OS in regard to the meds. Hopefully, you won't feel the need for them soon. Once you run out, if you're still dealing with pain and your OS won't refill, possibly your PCP will? We often recommend Extra Strength Tylenol 1,000 mg 4 times a day at 6 hour intervals because most meds only remain fully effective in the system for 4-5 hours, no matter what the dose. That gives the pain time to build so the next dose takes longer to be effective. So this may be something you can talk over your OS's care team. Also, it's advised to stay within the safe range of no more than 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You must also calculate anything else containing Acetominiphin into the 4000 mg so you're not exceeding that amount. I wish you luck and hope you have a nice weekend!
@selketine
 
Hi selketine,
I am sorry you had to endure that warning from your OS in regard to the meds. Hopefully, you won't feel the need for them soon. Once you run out, if you're still dealing with pain and your OS won't refill, possibly your PCP will?
I'm in an HMO so someone would probably get really annoyed with me trying to go from one doctor to the other asking for refills. I have to stick to the one who started me on it. They have prescribed Tylenol around the clock so I am taking that regardless of taking any pain med with it!

Is there a difference between doing heel slides seated and heel slides lying down? My official PT exercises have two sorts of heel slides: One is sitting on the floor or in bed with legs straight out and using a strap under the foot to help me slide the knee up. This one is fairly easy for me. The other is lying all the way down and sliding my heel up (this one is really hard for me - more on my upper thigh). She didn't give me any actual seated in a chair heel slides which are the easiest to do - but maybe they aren't as effective as the other two? I feel like I get a different ROM for all 3.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom