PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many.drugs individualty. I.was.on 8 tramadol.a.day and. Very occasionally more now down.to four often.two.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Today is a much more comfortable day - knee feels better, meds are at 7.5mg every 4 hours and my body likes that much better than 10 - still not what I'd call hungry but I'm eating before I take my meds and no more tummy issues. Still a little behind in the ahhh constipation issue but I have upped my magnesium for that and the leg twitches so hopefully that along with more walking around, will help.

I have been pretty much walking unassisted today - i keep the walker near by but have rarely used it, will get out the crutches tomorrow. Feels pretty amazing for where I am! Knee continues to be quite swollen but it's iced and elevated virtually all the time so there's nothing to do but wait it out, I suppose.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Hey Teresa. Just xhecking in. Sounds like you are progressing well...unassiated walks I'm impressed. will check back later my friend. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Thanks ladies! It seems like it's been a lot longer than 5 days - I think every time I fall asleep and wake up it seems like a new day :-) I know there will be ups and downs, I'm just enjoying the good days!

Karen - since I decided not to do the in home healthcare I will start next week at outpatient....turns out the first available isn't until next Friday so it will have been nearly 2 weeks. I think that's going to end up being perfect timing.

I know a lot of the exercises based on what I've been watching for the past year so I'm doing what feels good to my body. Heels slides, walking carefully, some yoga stretches and whatever feels good to me that puts no stress on the knee. Mostly a lot of as little as I can manage!! I'm already getting bored just sitting though.

I am having a ton of weird leg twitches in my legs and find myself tensing various muscles for no reason...does anyone know what that's about?
 
Hey TT,

I've been busy with my husband's forums and haven't gotten on here in a week or so. I missed everything! I just read all of your thread. I remembered that I was very anemic for a long time, and ate accordingly. I ate meat with my Saltines. Are you taking vitamin supplements to cover what you are missing? I'm sure you are.

Sounds like you've had some good early days. The pain can kick butt, but you are amazing!

Take care.
 
I still have the occasional leg twitches or restless leg feelings. I figure it's part of the healing process. Always feeling some different types of things in different areas of the leg or hip.

Glad to see you're doing so well!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Teresa there are some nerves that are damaged during the procedure and it is all part of the healing process.

Vinny
 
I don't have leg twitches yet, but they got pretty bad at night last time. I finally ended up taking hot baths + a half Valium to calm them my surgeo prescribes it as a matter of course, so it must be very common.
 
Thanks everyone! Hi @Jane B. - thank you for visiting, how is your husband doing?

The twitches seem normal - they were way aggressive last night but I was over tired and had walked a whole bunch right before bed so I wonder if that contributed? The muscle thing is just odd - I'll be sitting comfortably then realize my glute hurts - then I realize I'm tensing it for no reason and have to consciously relax it. Very weird.

So I did switch from walker to crutches last night and it's MUCH easier to walk with a normal gait so I think it was the right call. They are a bit more of a challenge with dog toys and general dog avoidance but it had to happen sometime. I have some called inMotion an they have a different than normal design but the cool part is the leg has a spring in it so it makes walking like normal far easier than a fixed point would be.

I was able to go to 6 hours with my perc last night so only had to get up once for meds and felt just fine this AM so will try going down to just 1 today. I have tramadol for break thru so if it's too early i have a back up but this perc is really messing with my digestion and in general making me a major crank so it seems worth a shot. If I were in PT I wouldn't be doing this but since I have a week, I'd like to get the pain issues under control and know what is normal healing pain and what is PT caused pain.

Question - when are we allowed to stop sleeping on our back? I am not a natural back sleeper so it's not super comfortable for me. I did get all crazy and sleep on my side with my pkr on the bottom and a pillow between my knees for a few hours and it felt great! I know others are sleeping on their side but wasn't sure if there was a specific time that could happen or just whenever it felt right.
 
It may also be your brain tells a muscle to move after surgery the nerve to that muscle hasnt healed yet. So tje message finds a diff route. Your muscle twitches in response to old message.
 
You can sleep on your side whenever you'd like. As you don't elevate while sleeping, there's no real reason to sleep on your back. However you're able to get comfortable, go for it! When I wasn't elevating, I found laying on my side with my TKR against the bed and my other leg on top of that (no pillow in between) was most comfortable for me and look how great my recovery has turned out! Oh, wait.... ;-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out it was too early for just one perc - so I'm going to try 1 tramadol every 8 hours and 1 perc every 4. Pain wasn't that bad but seemed to be inching up and there is simply no reason for that so will keep adjusting until I get it right. Then, I'll start formal PT and it will all change again!

Using the crutches is going very well, for now.
 
Teresa even with my bilateral I was never told to sleep on my back....that's where the pillow between my knees came in...good that you are walking unassisted you will find when you switch to the cane you will forget it half the time....swelling can last for quite awhile even as long as 3 months so not to worry as you seem to be icing regularly....

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ellen and Vinny - no idea where I got the sleeping on my back thing from, one of those things that just creeps in as a thought and stays as a fact. Probably since the pic's of people lying down are elevating.

Nauseous again today even with a lot less meds, boo! I'm about half a thought away from tossing the narcotics and busting out the Chardonnay!
 
@DogLoverx3 - Ellen - your paleo banana bread saved the day! I've seriously been feeling awful for hours and have not taken my 4pm dose of meds due to that - just got your bread today and just tried some and feel better than I have in hours! Now I don't want to take the meds and feel gross again but that is another problem. You are the best!!!!!
 
YEY! You got it! Glad it's helping (a little). I can't imagine it tastes very good, but at least it follows the rules. ;-) I'm so sorry about you feeling like poo. You need to take your pain meds though. It's a vicious cycle if you don't. Although the meds make you nauseous (remember they're easier when you have something already in your stomach), if you don't take them, then the pain will make you nauseous. It's a bit of a no win to begin with. I know you don't want to, but I think you should go back up to your 1.5 percs and make yourself eat something a bit substantial prior to taking them. I'm not sure fiddling with your meds this early on has been a good idea. I'm sorry.
 
It's great! No grains for 3 years - I know exactly how tough it its to make a baked something without using that - it tastes terrific and half an hour later and I still feel fine. I've decided to hold off on any other med's until I eat dinner in like an hour. I thought I was eating enough but maybe not. Well, ok, I had a small froyo for lunch. It's possible that's not food. I thought I was prepared for everything but not quite for this level of nausea. Yuck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom