PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Holly! Ellen's bread and lettuce wrapped burger have saved the day, meds are back on track and all is well.
I hearby commit to stop being stupid about food - just eat it, dingy, it's not that hard! The doc did his part with what seems to have been a fabulous job, all I have to do is eat,take my meds, sleep and not mess it up...all of you please feel free to give me a virtual whack if I fail to do any of these things!:bricks:
 
Food is important, for sure. Not just for settling the stomach for meds, but for providing the building blocks of nutrition for the healing. Hope it goes better for you tomorrow.
 
How's it going Teresa @TexasTee ?

Thought I would see how you are while I down my Sunday morning coffee and have a bit of a catch up on here

I imagine the boredom of not being able to do what you want to do is just beginning to surface, now the shock of the surgery is wearing off a bit - especially as you are such a busy and active person.

Yay for the walking and being so independent - but just pace yourself ....... the constant repetition on BS about sprints and marathons comes immediately to mind. It is early days.

Have you trained your doggies to bring you your ice yet?

Hope your knee is not too painful. Sounds as though all your prep work in terms of fitness etc really stood you in good stead - just a shame that the meds are making you so yukky. Although I had probs with the opposite end to you, plain pasta was my saviour. I ate bowls of it - and after a while, it stayed put! The trouble is if you are losing the food you have on board it makes you very weak and wobbly at a time when your body has had a big old shock and lots of work to do. As everyone here has said, find what seems to work and eat it ad infinitum until you can break out into normal food again. BTW - reading about Ellen's oyster biscuits made me feel quite queasy. Think they must be a quaint US delicacy - but the banana bread, even the Paleo version, sounds yum.

As you know, my meds experience was different from most on here. I just had codeine and Tylenol (our paracetamol) for 2.5 days post op, then only Tylenol. At the time lots of people on here said 'Not enough painkiller' but I personally, and truthfully did not need it. If I had been in pain I would have been demanding something stronger immediately! There are no prizes for suffering. My surgeon and the hospital worked on the premise - if you don't need it, then don't have it and they trusted me to be honest about pain level, which I was. Perhaps if you had been in hospital longer they could have jiggled your meds about a bit to help, while they could still monitor you closely for pain?

The important thing at the moment is that untreated pain will hamper your recovery. It's not a competition how little you have or how quickly you get off your meds, everyone's needs and recovery are different. It just becomes a nuisance when you think the meds are causing other err hmmm .... problems.

I really hope that you get your tummy sorted - now is not the time to be running on empty and it is so lowering, just when you need a bit more 'oomph. Meds on an empty stomach are never a good idea, unless they are supposed to be taken that way. You are an intelligent woman and realise that your body is in mega-mending-mode at the moment, so perhaps a little leniency in your normal diet would be a good thing? Even a shower will wipe you out pretty much at this stage, so you need as much fuel on board as possible - whatever you can tolerate.

So my friend - keep the swelling, pain (and tablets) down - keep your spirits and your knee up.

I am certain that your super yoga bendiness and fitness will do you proud as you recover. Just pace yourself, let your body recover as well as your knee, and use that downtime to plan your new wardrobe of shoes with proper heels!!

Much love and hugs whizzing across the miles to you

Chris XXXXXX
 
Hey @TexasTee Sorry to hear you are having a bit of a rough time with meds. I agree with @DogLoverx3 that you need food in yr stomach to stop the nausea. I had afriend bring me in a box of crackers which i have when meds are due and its not meal time. I also find bananas are great as well. Well done on graduating to a stick. I agree it is so much rasier than a walker.
Can you post a pic of yr knee? That is the ghoul in me[emoji4]xx

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
@dogwheels - Hi Chris - so nice to see you!! I totally agree that I might have benefited from another day in the hospital - at the time though, I just wanted to be home. I THINK I've finally found a good balance. Taking 5mg of oxy at a time during the day and 1.5 for the overnight dose seems to be perfect. There is a little pain but not much - I'm letting the knee decide when I take it - normal pain is about 2-3...when it gets to a 4, I take another. Once I'm consistently taking it at the 6 hour or later mark, I'll try lowering a bit more. You are right - there are no hero's here and everyone experiences pain differently, I just need to manage mine!

Last night I felt much better after the hamburger - to the point where, an hour later, I asked for grapes and proceeded to eat nearly a cereal bowl full! And last night I slept much longer and more deeply than I have since the op - I have not been properly fueling for recovery so that's my main mission today. :heehee:, btw Chris - the oyster crackers have nothing to do with oysters - it's a plain saltine just in a very small size, like cereal, that people eat in things like chowders...nothing queasy inducing!

Hi Maggie - nice to see you - I can't believe how well you are managing to post from your phone, I didn't even try that - crappy wifi or not, I did have my tablet. I only have the original zipper picture I posted earlier - I can take a pic later of the lovely mass that has taken over my knee though - I'm excited to get the staples out, will definitely post that!

Nausea is history...so I have decided for myself...looking back, every time its been an issue it's when I haven't eaten enough so that's just dumb. As a woman we train ourselves early if you aren't hungry, don't eat! Heavens forbid we get fat! None of that in this surgery, hungry or not, I'm eating something to fuel my recovery before every dose and that problem should be sorted.

The BOREDOM...now that, is another all together. It's not even a week yet and I can see it looming ahead. However, not that the meds are lowered I can actually think and read so I plan to do just that.

Question - how soon should I be able to go out for lunch? I had thought today but Ellen assures me I'm nuts - so I am almost positively not gonna, but when can I? I'm talking about a lunch I can be dropped off at the door and sit at a booth and elevate, I can even arrange ice! My biggest area of concern, that I can think of, would be getting in and out of the car.
 
Teresa I would think that when you can get in and out of the car lunch would not be a problem...

Vinny
 
Hi Teresa
I'm with Ellen here, I think as tempting as it may sound, it is a little early. You don't want horrid uncomfortable swelling as an after effect.
Just scooted back over my thread and my first lunch date was 3 weeks after the procedure. As Vinny said, it has a lot to do with how comfy you are travelling in a car. At first I found it painful to sit in the car for long - every 30 min trip to PT had me with the seat heater on full blast ..... ahhhhhh .... and fidgeting all the way. BTW - do you even have seat heaters on cars in Texas?? We had chilly seats in Abu Dhabi, and typically hubby's car here has both. I rarely use the chiller as it feels to me as if I have had an unfortunate accident if I am wearing something made of flimsy fabric. But I digress .............
The actual lunch was great and I was so proud of myself, although I put my leg up on a sofa for most of the meal and 'crutched' my way down the stairs to the restaurant. It was a spontaneous stop off on the way back from PT. By the time we eventually got back home I was exhausted though. I was amazed how something so ordinary could wear me out so much.

XXXX
 
3 weeks! Yikes - I'll do my best. I haven't even considered attempting to get in a car though so that might change everything.

Swelling is MUCH better so far this AM...will try to keep it that way.

[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!
 
Oh and yes - we do have seat heaters! I know it's Texas but we hate being cold!! I agree on the seat chiller, ick.
 
@TexasTee So impressed that you want to get out of the house already! I used to walk loops in the house and garden.
As much as it sounds wonderful just think about all the steps involved in going to a restaurant. Maybe at first try being in a car to pick up take-out and see how you do. It really is a matter of little steps at a time and seeing what you can tolerate.
Once you are in PT some of the cooped-up feeling goes away.
 
Hi Teresa, last year, I had my op on Jan 11th, and it was my husbands birthday on 20th, there was no way I could manage dinner out, so we did lunch and I was fine. Just see how you feel xxx
 
I agree that it's still too early to go out for lunch. Do try and be patient for a bit longer.

When you do go, make sure that you ask for delivery of your meal as quickly as possible. Having to sit and wait when you are feeling uncomfortable is not easy. Also, do be prepared to make a quick exit, if you find it is too much for you. Even something like the different height of the chairs or benches can make a huge difference in the early days of recovery.
 
Good point Celle regarding the chairs. Although my 1st foray out into the real world for something non essential wasn't until week 6, I found that sitting on higher, bar type chairs much easier than lower table chairs. And I always had an ice pack or empty ziplock bag that could be filled with ice with me EVERY time I left the house.
 
I am a week ahead of you, and went out to breakfast this morning, Teresa. It was SO NICE to be out in the world, and I did fine. I sat in a booth and propped my leg on the other booth side where no one could see and it did the trick. We ate at a fairly quick-serving diner, so it wasn't more than 4o minutes, but I was ready to get out of there by the end. Getting in the car was the hard part. We had to take the big Subaru rather than my darling little Mini! :)

This is a lot faster than I was able to do this last time, however. That was about three weeks and it was really challenging. I was exhausted by the return. Can you sit easily for a length of time? That's the big thing. I like the suggestion of taking ice with you. My PT last time said not to be afraid to get up and walk a little if you need to.

Barbara
 
I went out to lunch with hubby yesterday ( 15 days post op) and propped my leg up on the booth seat. It was fine. I tried to sit normally but that was a bit much. We were out about an hour and a half. I think I did ok, iced my leg when we got home. I have found getting in and out of the car gets easier with time. I got out of the hospital on Thurs and went to the pt office on Friday and every three days since. It really depends on how you feel as to how soon to go out.
 
Teresa I just checked my calendar and went out to lunch on day 12 when I ditched the crutches for a cane....good thing I punished myself before the surgery as we have a jeep that requires hoisting myself into...play it by ear and maybe try to get in the car before you commit to going out...the car gives you freedom and lifts the blues..

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom