Guest viewing is limited

PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Maggie!

I was supposed to have PT yesterday but I called to check the time and they told me it had been cancelled, would have been nice to know that earlier!! But since I was not in a rush I got the super-duper version of the pedicure that lasted well over an hour with several different massages and this morning the weird extra forehead knob thing on my knee was GONE as well as a good bit of swelling on the outside and the lower set of scars from the robot thing that were hard scar tissue and lumpy are not entirely gone but much, much flatter. Went to yoga and I could definitely flex more. Who knew? No more PT, just pamper days at the spa for me :)

Everything else is going well - got my return to work paperwork all approved so I'm back to work on Monday - will report back but I expect it will be fine.

Hope all is well!
 
Thanks for the reminder Karen - I wouldn't have thought to bring one! Good luck Brenda - we can do it!!
 
good luck Teresa and Brenda on Monday! Hopefully tomorrow you will have a very relaxing and peaceful day with a really good night sleep for Monday!!!1
 
Good luck Monday, Texas Tee Another big step in your recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Karen - just got home...I might stay awake until dinner, then again, maybe not!! Knee did fine - even with the few times I ended up on auto pilot and took the stairs. There were a few moments when the knee got weak or a weird zinger pain but for the most part, a-ok - very glad I got to wait until 12 weeks out though! Stamina is definitely not there yet but all and all, I am quite pleased. Darn good thing I did ok, a huge amount of work just launched today and the colleague on maternity leave isn't back yet so I'm going to be supervising her groups mid-year reviews as well as my own. It's something like 9000 people! instant payback for being out 12 weeks :)
 
Glad you did ok! Isn't it funny how the work never goes away...
Rest up and good luck tomorrow!
 
Hi @TexasTee

I'm so glad your first day back went well. Wow, you've got your work cut out there. 9000 people..wow!!! Well done on such a successful recovery and back to work.

Congratulations and keep up,the good work with your knee!

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Glad you survived day one. Here's to an even better day two!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi guys! Started the day at my OS for the 3 week MUA check - he was pleased with the progress but a bit concerned that when he flexed my knee back and forth it was definitely crunchy. He told me that during the MUA I won the award of the day for the most interesting sounding knee, he said it was like rice crispies! It still has great ROM though so I'm just going to need to make sure I keep at it since I am obviously one of the lucky ones that likes to form adhesions. To that end I'll be riding my bike on my conference call with my Asian colleagues tonight!

Day 2 at work was a bit better - went ahead and did the stairs as long as I wasn't carrying anything and it was fine...obvious though that my right quad is much weaker. I still left at 4:30 since I have to work tonight but traffic was hideous and it took an hour to get home...knee did not like that in the least.

Sorry if I overstated my role in the 9000 people - I don't have to DO any of those reviews, I have to make sure the managers do them and follow all the guidelines and distribution rates and employment laws and council them for employees who are not performing well - if I had to do them I might volunteer for the left TKR! :sos:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Teresa, I'm glad work is going okay for you, I really wish I could have waited a few more weeks as I am drained and hurting. Hope you have a great call and it ends sooner rather than later! I'm off to bed :)


Brenda
 
Teresa you said you had a partial knee replacement can I ask reasons they did not do a full one reason is you mention your knee being crunchy and I wonder is that the original part of knee or the bit they replaced
Sorry I do t know much about partials as I had a tkr and only researched that before the operation


20/01/2015
 
Hi Teresa - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged process of healing.

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition. However, please do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the law to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Hi Brenda - I'm sure I would have been in the same boat at 6 weeks, yes, I could have done it but it's much, much easier for having been allowed to wait. Sorry you couldn't but you are doing fantastic!

Hi Homeport - I went with the partial based on my surgeons recommendation but mostly because my replacement was due to a few traumatic injuries plus arthritis rather than just arthritis - so I have a good possibility of not having to revert to a full for a good amount of time. Partials are more complicated in that they have to match the implant to your original parts rather than to just replace the whole joint but if they are successful they allow you to have a more normal feeling knee with more ROM - according to my doc and a few others I consulted. I'm sure not everyone would agree with that and that is fine, I'm not claiming it as fact, merely what I used to make my decision. It also really just made sense to me to keep as much of the original me as was still functional.

The crunchy part is not the original part that was retained (outside of knee)
 
Thank you for replying yes that makes obvious sense if you can keep most of your knee and must aid recovery I had tkr but mine was partially a really nasty sailing accident In Antigua where I went for dock and ended up clinging to outside of boat my knees and ribs slammed against the boat I cannot complain it could have been lot worse but did learn one thing berthing a 40 ft yacht do what you know is best ignore advice from people standing on dock lol
Take care I am back to work tomorrow first full day I am I invigilating a lot of children for the first of summer exams art tomorrow will be an all day so taking ice pack and some pain relief


20/01/2015
 
I've got the rice-crispy knee too! Nothing painful, but it's noticeable at full bend and on occasional movements.
I was told it was due to weak musculature, did your doc have any specifics about it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom