PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the studies that I have read indicate that the quad is weakened by as much as 60% after a TKR..the strength will return though it may take some time.....that was part of reason it was suggested to strengthen them as much as possible pre op....I just googled quad weakened after TKR and there are numerous studies discussing the process..

Vinny
 
Yoga today...well done!!! Look forward to a report. Maggie x
 
I swear I came by here yesterday but apparently not! Yes, I went back to yoga yesterday and today - I'm doing all but one very odd stretch pose called rabbit. I can't say that my child's pose is picture worthy just yet but I am doing it now where I couldn't really even try it before the MUA so that's great. Funny how it's really the simplest poses like childs pose that will probably be the longest in coming all the way back. Not worried about it at all, I am loving being back in the studio with no props! Well, that's not true, I am using a pad for my knee on the kneeling poses, I don't know if I need it but it feels so weird that I'm more comfortable having it. I have a big knob of swelling right under the knee, I have seen it on others so I'm not worried about it but I think that's what is feeling so odd when I kneel.

I've been doing 30 minutes on my bike in the afternoon along with heel slides - I haven't gained any further ROM but I haven't lost any either so I'm content for now. I have no doubt that over time the swelling will recede and my ROM will continue to gradually improve.

Definitely agree on Quad strength - my right quad is much smaller than my left but it can do what needs to be done and will also improve over time. My Doc told me that even giant linebackers come in and end up with a quad that's about half as big as their other one - totally normal and will come back in time.
 
Just back from PT - ROM is 142 today - there is still a good bit of swelling around the knee still so I'm confident I'll get higher as the months go by - most important part is that I haven't lost any. My OS saw me (the PT room is open to the doc hallway) so came in and was impressed with where I'm at so I don't think I'll have any objections from him in getting a return to work approval a week early. We didn't even work on ROM today, it was all quad work, I asked Marcus the PT if we needed to continue with PT and he said lets review next week but probably not. That will help a lot since I'm planning to return to work the follow Monday.

SO - looks like life is about to take a turn for the normal, I'm more than ready for that!!
 
Teresa and @Spencieca ...you can't know how hearing about your successful MUAs has relieved me. I am very concerned about my ROM and am beginning to think there may be an MUA in my future. Please keep posting because we need to hear the good outcomes from the replacements.
 
Annie, I can only tell you that I am very happy with the outcome of my MUA..I am very glad I did it and would do it again if my ROM does not progress..some people make more scar tissue than others, I happen to be one of those people...It was something that I thought a lot about and discussed it with my OS and my hubby and the PT...but at the end of it all the decision was up to me...You know your body better than anyone else, so just listen to it...
 
Teresa I would think that with what you are able to do in yoga that PT would not be necessary especially if you still have residual swelling.....also you love yoga but not sure you feel the same about PT........and I would certainly recommend the pad for the knee when kneeling at least for a while...I have knelt down forgetting and get a shiver everytime I do.....you are doing amazingly well.....

vinny
 
Hi Teresa,
Just stopped in to say hi and tell you I am so happy with the outcome of your MUA.
The simple mention of it seems to ruffle alot of feathers around here, so sharing your personal experience will undoubtedly help others who may be struggling with the decision to do a MUA.
Thanks for paying it foreward!
 
Hi Everyone! Annie - it's no question that I'm very pleased with my MUA - I realized when I was answering my PT yesterday that there is nothing that I need to do that is beyond my current flex, it's the best possible outcome. I certainly might have gotten here at some point without the MUA but based on the where the scar tissue was, I doubt it. I know it would not have been now and not without a lot of work and pain so I'm a big proponent for it if you and your surgeon think you need it.

Vinny - after talking with Marcus yesterday I've shelved kneeling for a while, it seems to be aggravating the swelling under the knee where the majority of the tissue was broken up. I am glad I did it early so now I'm not conditioned not to do it but will hold off for now and let it heal. And I undoubtedly love my yoga classes much more than my PT! I agree I really don't need it anymore, I definitely did need it to gain the flex but the quad building he has me do is far lighter than I do in yoga so it's really unnecessary. I will start my own hydro once my community pool warms up enough but I think the formal piece is done.

Hi Karen! Thank you for all of your support - I'm grateful for all the wisdom I've gathered here and am more than happy to help anyone considering the MUA with my experience. I also noted the almost knee-jerk reluctance at BS and that was coloring my opinion of the process. I'm glad I trusted my surgeon though, it was clearly a great decision for me.

Thanks Barbara - love the new avatar, clearly you've been hitting those trails!
 
A true success story! So glad you were able to get back to where you wanted to be and can now have the pain free, active lifestyle you deserve! :)
 
Hi Teresa, hope you had a good weekend..have a MUA question for you...did you loose some ROM in the beginning and then get it back plus more? It has been a week since my MUA and the doc got it to 123 under the MUA but the most I can get is 93, and that was one of the first days following the procedure..Friday it was 88..I have that tight band feeling across my knee cap again, like I did before the MUA..it went away for a couple of days but then started showing up again...any suggestions or ideas?
 
Thanks Motowngirl and Kaydubs - thank you both for your support, we'll all get thru this soon...I just hope my next one is a very distant day in the future. I do have arthritis in it but it's in far better shape than the right one was.

Hi @Spencieca - my doctor was able to get my flex to well beyond what I've been able to achieve but no, I didn't lose any after I had it, I was at 130 the next day and progressed up to last friday of 142 - pretty sure it's going to stay there until the swelling recedes. Have you tried heat? My PT has been using heat on the quad before we start and I do well in hot yoga. I think that the lidocane shot he put in my knee kept me from having a lot of the post MUA swelling that you and Diane have had.
 
Thanks Clipless and RedRider - I've been extremely fortunate with both my surgery and MUA - I definitely attribute both to a super positive and talented surgeon.

Got the all clear to go back to work starting Monday - can't wait, I've done all the shopping one person can do, time to get back to it! Mostly so I can accrue enough vacation to go on a real trip in the fall :)
 
Hey Teresa...just caught up with a few threads including yours....you are truly amazing!! I agree that there is definitely a couple more degrees bend in there once swelling goes. Inspiring. Mx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom