Guest viewing is limited

PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Teresa...I hope the MUA gives you the outcome you want. I agree with the others that half a life is really no life and getting your lifestyle back should be your priority. Here's all good thoughts and wishes for next Tuesday☺
On another tac....I spoke to my PT about feet up the wall for swelling....how long did you do this for? An hour, minutes????? Advice please.

Thanks T....M x
 
Teresa,
It is only 2 months since your surgery. The ROM you have now is not the ROM you will end up with, even without a MUA. We have consistently found that ROM can continue to improve for a year or more after surgery.

I hope the MUA gives you the quicker result you want.
 
Hi Teresa..I am sure all will go well for you next week and am looking forward to hearing your progress....

Vinny
 
he didn't even measure today but I think I'm just shy of 120. That's the other reason why I think this makes sense - at first there was stiffness with PT but no pain, now any increase in ROM comes with a good deal of pain.
You're having an MUA when you're already at 120? Did I miss something here?
PT will be very aggressive - I have something scheduled every day following and have been told I'll be expected to keep up whatever it is we're doing for the weekend.
I advise you to be very cautious with this "aggressive" pt. Read this, it's all too easy to damage yourself with this PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it
 
Did your OS say why he wants to do an MUA and set your recovery back? At 125 now you will only continue to improve perhaps not quickly enough but surely.....the higher your ROM was before the chances are better to obtain higher after...seemed like you were doing so well on Monday...once I hit 120 my OS said see you in a year and you will continue to improve...

Vinny
 
I had the same experience as @vinny --I'm 120 and my surgeon dismissed me for four months. HOWEVER...that is an easy 120 with no stress or pain, and the other knee is a guide. I'm fairly athletic but if my knees never get beyond 130, my life won't change much. Some athletic people want a lot more to continue the activities they enjoyed before. We are all so different in our goals. We all have to do what feels right.
 
Celle and Josephine - thank you for your input, I do understand, as I mentioned, that my ROM would likely improve over time without it. I researched and chose this surgeon for his expertise - I trust that he would not recommend something that was detrimental to my progress. I used the wrong word regarding PT - aggressive only in terms of frequency. The original surgery I had no formal PT for 3 weeks - this is daily for the first week, that is all that I meant by aggressive. I have no reason to believe that the approach will be any different than it has been up until now.

Maggie - I would actually watch a video with the legs up so 30 minutes or so? Its quite comfy once you get into it :) Lyn - thanks for the good thoughts - how long did you hang out with your legs up the wall?

Thanks Vinny - Barbara is correct - it really is all about the outcome you want/expect. Since my ROM was so high before op and my other leg is 148 cold, so to speak, he is using that as a measure of how much I've really lost rather than saying that many people would be happy with it as is.
 
Makes sense Teresa as it is about quality of life that you want and if you had great ROM before you are more like
to have it after......clearly you are in concert with your OS......you will be in the child's pose before you know it.:running:

Vinny
 
Reading with interest and of course, wishing you all the very best!

I'm at a little over 9 weeks post-op and still using a cane due to a lot of stiffness and some pain. I'm not at all considering MUA at this point; this forum has taught me that we all have different recovery times. But I am always interested in everyone's individual experiences, and this may be best for you.

Best of luck to you! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @TexasTee Teresa thanks for getting back to about legs up the wall time:flwrysmile: I did it today, used a pillow for my head and spent the time on Facebook.
Best wishes for Tuesday....I'll be following your progress with interest. Big hug, Maggie x
 
Hi Teresa,
Just got caught up on your thread. I haven't been getting alerts.
Wow! I missed alot!
Good luck on tuesday. It sounds like you're doing what is right for you and that's what this is all about.
I hope the recovery is speedy and uneventful!
Best Wishes,
Karen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the surgeon that did the op or a new one researched for Mua?


20/01/2015
 
Ditto on missing the alerts. Good luck on the mua, you are still young and active, it is reasonable to want more.
 
Just wondering...... When they do MUA, do they open up the knee again or just "manipulate" it?
OK, well I think I just answered my own question, but I honesty don't know, lol...
 
Re 'legs up the wall', usually about half an hour, but sometimes longer if I was in a particularly comfortable position. I found it helped so much, more so if I strapped an ice pack to my knee as well.
 
Hi Guys - I know that this is not the path that most of BS would endorse but it feels right for me so we'll see how it plays out.

@Homeport and Septemberzen- this will be done by my original surgeon - honestly, I was not seeking out any additional procedures, far from it! But my OS had brought up my ROM at my 6 week appointment as a concern and had encouraged me stay out of work 2 extra weeks to recover and see what I could do to increase my ROM - at my 8 week he said I could leave it as is and be ok but his recommendation was that we do the MUA ASAP. Regardless of if it is the belief of all surgeons, his personal belief is that an MUA needs to be done between 7-9 weeks or it was not as effective. I know that he meets weekly with my PT - and since about week 4 my PT has mentioned that when he maneuvered my leg that he could tell it should move farther but the pain I was experiencing would not let it, since that time he has also taken notes where the pain was occurring and what was it feeling like when it stopped. My OS also took 6 week xrays and a whole other series at 8 weeks - I do not think that he's just decided he wants to willynilly do this, he believes this is the best thing in my situation. I certainly hope so!

Hi Karen and Janmont - I haven't been getting alerts for several people, either - I am trying to scan for folks I know but I'm sure I've missed several. Thanks for your support! I see that Pumpkin has answered the MUA question - it will be very quick, I was told it takes longer to fill out the paperwork and get prepped than it would be to do. It better be quick, I go in at 1 and can't eat or drink for 8 hours prior!

Maggie - hope the legs up the wall help! I'm sure I'll be back on netflix looking at my toes soon enough - and like Lyn, I will have my polar cuff on. Sorry - I forgot to mention that part.

So - doing an abbreviated but much more informed version of my recovery house, shower chair, ice machine and crutches are back out, I left my recliner in the corner rather than front and center since I have no intention of it being needed in the way it was before! Tomorrow I will get food for me and the dogs prepped for the week and Monday I'll do a super clean. Don't get me wrong, there is a huge part of me that wonders if I"m being an idiot but I seriously want to get back into rock climbing and I love going on yoga retreats and there is no way I'd be able to do either of those without a good bit more ROM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Teresa...did abou 40 mins "up the wall" yesterday while checking FB. ..quite relaxing. Will do it again today. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom