PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real color changes I had/have are the scar itself, but my son had a purple foot any time he stood up for months after an ankle injury.

Did you do any SXSW? I would imagine that's too much walking for now.
 
Hi Diana - interesting about your sons foot - the body is a wondrous thing :) I will probably go to some of the day shows on South Congress when the music portion kicks off later in the week but I don't do the super crowded stuff, just not that into it, it's a mad house!

PT today - early this week as my guy is out on Friday - I've been able to increase the bend significantly while I'm IN the yoga room but so far that is not reproducing itself outside so no real idea if I've gone up or not. Guess I'll find out soon enough!
 
With a lot of "help" from my former friend Marcus the PT, I achieved 121 today - it was more than uncomfortable but I only swore at him twice and they were pretty mild in the realm of swears so not TOO bad. Iced at the end then came home and did a mile walk and now my knee feels back to normal.

Can't tell you how wonderful it feels to feel NORMAL again. Walking around, getting up and down, no drama - knee just works. It pretty much rocks :)
 
Normal, yes! We went to the movies this week and I had a moment wheni realized I didn't have to stop and get my bearings before I walked out after sitting. I just stood up on two good knees and walked out. What a revelation!

I was coping for a long time, telling myself the knees were really not so bad. Now that they are strong again, I can see how wrong that was.
 
@praise1989 - I predict that no one will be able to catch up to us by this time next year!

Karen/Barbara - yes! parts that just work as they were intended with NO PAIN and getting stronger and more flexible every day. I did standing bow today and it looked like a real bow as opposed to a broken arrow :heehee:.

Life is good!

Celebrix is gone and that was the last of my mandatory meds - I will take OTC from here forward if I need anything but when I think back to 8 weeks ago, I am in so much less pain now 7 weeks post op. It's a freaking miracle.
 
This morning I spent 45 minutes outside talking with neighbors.
Can't remember the last time I was able to stand that long without pain!
Great to be off the pain meds, Teresa.
I still need them occasionally, like today. The first week of work wiped me out...
 
How quickly time flies!! I'm 8 weeks out today - pretty amazing really. I feel almost guilty at how great I am doing...so many have a much harder time than I have so I've not been posting as much but I do know that people getting ready for this journey also need to know that it can be not so bad.

So - 8 week re-cap, knee is doing great - extension is 0 - flex is good but still needs to progress to match up with the much bendier left knee. Back at yoga and back in the front row - able to keep up and do nearly everything - a few minor adjustments on postures that require bend that exceeds the 120ish that I have now but I know that is short lived. I can stand and walk for long periods of time and I'm riding my bike everyday. I am so happy that I did this - I know that I will have a much better quality of life than I had been having pre-surgery.

I am scheduled to meet with my surgeon on Friday - he will assess the knee and I very much doubt that he is going to want to do the MUA - assuming that he does not, I will be back at work on Monday.

My knee is no longer the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about at night. Amazing.
 
Great report. Xxxx



SonnysGal
PKR Dec 1 2014
TKRev MAR 2 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Teresa that is absolutely fantastic....well done. You sound very active ...how is your stamina? I'm pathetic at the moment....still get tired very quickly. Let us know what the OS says...MUA should not even be raised with that ROM. Cheers Maggie x
 
Thanks guys - it really does feel like I've turned a corner and every day there is one less minor irritation. Maggie - I'll have the real test next week when I am back in the office but I think my stamina is about 80-90% back. The first week back at yoga at week 6 - I was useless the rest of the day, last week I did yoga in the morning then went out and did other things in the afternoon. This weekend I did the full 90 minute yoga class on Saturday, went shopping and out to lunch with my husband and came home and spent 2 hours up and down a step ladder removing blinds and hanging hardware for curtains....and I was totally fine. Knee was a little stiff after the ladder but a quick 30 minutes of ice and I was good to go. I know that not all recoveries are the same but in my case, as long as I keep pacing myself and keep asking a bit more of myself each week, the energy levels seem to be rising along with me.

Regarding the MUA - we'll see - I know of at least one patient that was at 125 and he still did it - afterwards she was at 145 and kept it so...I'm not opposed. I'd never ask him to do it but if he looks at it and thinks there is a reason why it's a good idea, well, I'm ok with it. I don't have the negative association with it that many seem to have - the only real concern I'd have would be the "A" but since he didn't even use a general for my surgery, I doubt that is what he'd recommend for this.
 
@TexasTee yes, keep sharing the great news, as I get positive energy from it and you're right about it not being so horrible for everyone. I'm looking forward to being as active and even more than before surgery. I still have a bad day here and there, but for the most part, it's getting so much better and I take very little pain meds. Not to mention the boost of having lost 14lbs:yes!: and on the days I get a three mile walk in on the track, I lose even faster...it's like I'm burning double calories, I'm supposing because my knee is still healing. Anyway congrats on your great progress and I'll be looking to see more:flwrysmile:

I'll post pic of me using my new brace that surgeon ordered that's suppose to get me to 150 if I do it everyday.
 
Texas Tee,
Sounds like you are doing great. The caution for MUA, is when they done to soon they can cause increased swelling and decreasing ROM. Many continue to increase ROM a year or more, just depends on the person and their particular situation. Your ROM is great for two months.
 
You guys need to cut it out with the weight loss....I am walking 25 miles a week and have gained 15 pounds...it has nothing at all to do with the new donut shop that opended across from office....

Vinny
 
Teresa, what an awesome report! You should not feel bad that you are doing so well while others are not. Each journey is different and we all need to know that.
I look forward to reading more of your story as you return to work, I'll need that inspiration as I dread the thought of going back, lol.
Have a great evening.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I somehow missed that you had no general anesthesia. That's amazing. What did he use?

Glad to hear you're doing so very well. I'm sure it will continue--and we'll be just as happy applaud and cheer as we are now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom