PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teresa I needed a nap after reading what you have been up to. Very impressed. Good on you. I await tales of returning to work and sailing thru that too. Cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
I'm so glad that you are doing so well, I never doubted that you would, you were so prepared right from the start, but it's good to know that your end result is as we all hoped.
 
Wow - thanks everyone, this is a terrific, supportive community! @praise1989 - I'm so curious about the brace, how does it work? I will find your thread, perhaps I missed an update.

Hi Barbara - @Awriterafoot - I had a spinal, couldn't feel a thing in my lower body for several hours after surgery but somehow I could still make it move, weird, huh? But it totally did the trick.

Brenda - Maggie - I'm hopeful all my marathon shopping days are preparing me for being back to work :) I'm pretty sure I'll be fine but will report back either way.

Thanks Lyn - it was all of your various experiences that prepared the way! As we are doing now for the next up group, I suppose. I'm thankful that my "class" has had only very minor bumps in the recovery path. This surgery is not for wimps but it's also not always god-awful, either. Thankfully!
 
I've heard of spinals for the surgery. I wonder if the lesser anesthesia was a help in your recovery. It seems you have done extremely well.
 
Hi Barbara - I think it did, I had noticed a trend in the recoveries of those that seemed to have an easier time and it seemed that the majority had not had general...certainly not a scientific study but I was leaning toward not and as my doc is more comfortable with the spinal - it was an easy choice.
 
Yep spinals are the way to go where possible. There are some surgery time limitations on their use.
 
Really Maggie? Mine still had not worn off 8 hours later! Perhaps it's that they can't consistently depend on that time frame.
 
Sorry I meant the length of the actual surgery.....I could not have one because the surgery time for bilaterals was too long. I did have a spinal morphine block for analgesia as well as the femerol blocks... Plus a light GA
 
How's the OTC regime going? I'm in the same spot, taking Tylenol when I can remember. Once you start forgetting about your knee, the meds come next...both great signs of recovery!
 
Hi Josh @RedRider - OTC is working well! I take 1000mg of Tylenol to start the day and then generally sometime around 4 and it's doing the job. I do still take Tramadol if it needs more but as needed, not on the clock. It's only 8 weeks out so I'm not surprised there is still pain at times - actually it's lots less than before the surgery but at this point, why deal with pain if I don't have to? I guess I'm spoiled! I realized yesterday that I have stopped the constant second guessing if "the knee" was able for this or that thing, I am just doing it and realizing as I start whatever that it's fine. Excellent :)
 
I had spinal block and sedatives first I knew was in surgery he was putting last stick in is far better you are breathing yourself just oxygen mask no tubes down your throat and was weird I felt the tugging have to say was totally scared about not being put out but post op my stats were great and I went up to my room early whereas the woman next to me was having a hard time she never had spinal block


20/01/2015
 
Just got home from the Surgeon and we will be proceeding with the MUA next Tuesday. I do understand that many would be happy with the result I have and that it might potentially improve to the extent the MUA will provide...but it also might not. My surgeon is confident that this will get me back to the 140+ flex that will make my return to the lifestyle I want possible. My husband and I discussed it and both agree to proceed.

Of course I just put away all the invalid stuff - shower chair, crutches, ice machine. At least I didn't get rid of them. This is just a temporary bump on the road to my well healed future.
 
Having the ROM for the lifestyle that you want is what it is all about. Good for you to move ahead and do what will make you happy. Good luck with the MUA.
 
There is absolutely no point to going through all this if not to get the life you want. I am not familiar with the healing time on the MUA. Will you be back to square one, or does it just take a week or two to get to feeling better? You mentioned the healing supplies, so assume it must take a bit of time.

Not the most fun thing to hear, but you've come this far. You'll do just fine with this last …uh…leg.
 
Thanks guys - I appreciate the support!

Barbara - I think it varies like anything else but they authorized an additional 4 weeks before return to work so I expect it's not going to be all that fun for a week or two.

PT will be very aggressive - I have something scheduled every day following and have been told I'll be expected to keep up whatever it is we're doing for the weekend. I don't think it will be square one but several steps back - no bone involvement this time, so that's a bonus. I'm just going to keep going to yoga until the procedure and keep positive thoughts that this will go as well as possible and hope for a terrific outcome!
 
Hope it goes well. I know what you mean. I wouldn't have been happy with the 120 either but depends on lifestyle and expectations.
 
I can't remember what your ROM was at last measurement. Was it 120, but only with a lot of effort and pain? Am I remembering right?
 
Hi Barbara - yes, he didn't even measure today but I think I'm just shy of 120. That's the other reason why I think this makes sense - at first there was stiffness with PT but no pain, now any increase in ROM comes with a good deal of pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom